Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
Derell Licht
Derell Licht began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Oasis, mobi, custom fonts oddities

Before I get into details, let me note that I am using Windows 7 64bit,
so I am using Calibre 64bit V3.48, which is the last which supports Windows 7.

I recently got the new Oasis 10th gen, which is *very* beautiful. I installed a few custom TrueType fonts in the fonts directory, and they work great with azw3 and mobi books from Amazon.

However, I have many epub books from external sources, and have been using Calibre to convert them to mobi and transfer to my Oasis. Sadly, most of those .mobi files do *not* support custom fonts.

I also tried converting one of the files to azw3 ... this was an adventure!
If I convert from .epub to .azw3 directly, I cannot change fonts at all...
However, if I convert epub -> mobi, then mobi -> azw3, custom fonts *do* work. Line spacing is a little irregular for some reason, but I can live with it.

What I'm hoping to find, though, is some way to either make the .mobi files work (with custom fonts) as they do when I get them from Amazon.

So does anyone have any insights into how I might address this issue?
Derell Licht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unless you're an author or publisher selling books on amazon, mobi is an old and less capable format and best avoided. So azw3 is what you want to convert those epubs to. My experience is that if the book specifies fonts in its CSS then you won't be able to change them on the fly with your ereader (Oasis).

For example, using a recent book uploaded to the library here, pulpmeister's Carnacki the Ghostfinder - William Hope Hodgson.epub, in its CSS there are lines

font-family: "Calibri", "sans-serif";

Just delete the entire line and after you've deleted them and saved the epub then convert it to azw3 and it should then let you change the font in your ereader.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some books may also contain stuff like the following in their CSS; you can also delete it:

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "LinLibertineG30";
  src: url(../Fonts/LinLibertineG30-Regular.ttf);
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
}
The above was taken from La Leçon d'amour dans un parc.epub uploaded by roger64.

After you delete the @font-face stuff you can then delete the font files that are in the Fonts folder inside the epub.

You'll still need to delete the font-family lines as well.

Last edited by hobnail; 01-08-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:00 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Some books may also contain stuff like the following in their CSS; you can also delete it:

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "LinLibertineG30";
  src: url(../Fonts/LinLibertineG30-Regular.ttf);
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
}
The above was taken from La Leçon d'amour dans un parc.epub uploaded by roger64.

After you delete the @font-face stuff you can then delete the font files that are in the Fonts folder inside the epub.
Don't forget to also remove the font-family stuff from the CSS as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors

Thanks, fixed it.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
Derell Licht
Derell Licht began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Unless you're an author or publisher selling books on amazon, mobi is an old and less capable format and best avoided. So azw3 is what you want to convert those epubs to. My experience is that if the book specifies fonts in its CSS then you won't be able to change them on the fly with your ereader (Oasis).
Well, okay, I understand this, thank you.
I'm still uncertain why it worked when I did the convertion in two steps:
epub -> mobi -> azw3
but did *not* work at all when I converted directly:
epub -> azw3
??

In any case, I will experiment with your suggestions about removing specific font information from the css files, and see how that alters the process.
Derell Licht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derell Licht View Post
Well, okay, I understand this, thank you.
I'm still uncertain why it worked when I did the convertion in two steps:
epub -> mobi -> azw3
but did *not* work at all when I converted directly:
epub -> azw3
??

In any case, I will experiment with your suggestions about removing specific font information from the css files, and see how that alters the process.
That's because the ePub probably has embedded fonts and converting to Mobi got rid of the embedded fonts since Mobi doesn't support embedded fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(RIP), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Jon is correct.
That conversion sequence removed/sidestepped anything Mobi could not do. FOR GOOD. (Up format, Conversion does not put much, if any, into a book. It only makes what IS there, compatible)
Do visit the Wiki here ar MR and you can read a bit about each format you want to use (before you do damage that might not be undone if you have no prior backup)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote