Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #1231
Bidibulle
Enthusiast
Bidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara Hd
Device: kobo clara hd, french interface, 4.18 version

I noted a little glitch in the french localisation: the word "chapter" is in english when I tap on the page to display the "chapter bar".
Another problem imho is that the title is written with the page counter: It's really annoying to see constantly the title (I know what I'm reading, thank you) especially when it's long: the title is cut and the page counter is on the right handside: that lack of symetrie in the page is for me annoying. The page number alone at the bottom center is better, imho.
Thanks for reading.
Bidibulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #1232
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidibulle View Post
Device: kobo clara hd, french interface, 4.18 version

I noted a little glitch in the french localisation: the word "chapter" is in english when I tap on the page to display the "chapter bar".
That text is whatever is in the ToC. If it has "Chapter 1", that is what is shown.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #1233
LvE
LvE began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Cool issues with Clara HD

I have a Kobo Clara HD, and I have some annoying issues with it.
Sometimes when I swipe to flip to the next page, it jumps back a random number of pages. Very inconvenient.
I contacted with Kobo support, and they offered to replace the physical unit. This would imply that it is a hardware issue and not software, What do you think? should I go for it?
i mean to ask if there are any other Clara HD-owners that don't have this problem?
Another issue is that changing font sometimes doesn't work, mainly with books made with Calibre, not so with books I bought a store like Kobo and others.
LvE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #1234
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LvE View Post
Sometimes when I swipe to flip to the next page, it jumps back a random number of pages. Very inconvenient.
I contacted with Kobo support, and they offered to replace the physical unit. This would imply that it is a hardware issue and not software, What do you think? should I go for it?
i mean to ask if there are any other Clara HD-owners that don't have this problem?
Another issue is that changing font sometimes doesn't work, mainly with books made with Calibre, not so with books I bought a store like Kobo and others.
A couple of things...

Are you running firmware version 4.19.x?if no, install it so you can make sure it's not a software issue. Also, there is an option someplace in settings to change pages with a swipe and not a tap. Try it and see if swiping works better.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #1235
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvE View Post
Yes. They must have a reason to think this is a hardware defect, or they wouldn't be offering to replace it.

For the record, there have been firmware issues in the past that caused problems like this, but, not for a long time. And going back a page accidentally can happen with a bad tap that gets seen as a swipe, but, it should only be one page.
Quote:
That usually means that there is something hardcoded in the book that the reader cannot override. It is usually a sign of a badly constructed book. Exactly what cannot be overridden is different for epubs and kepubs
Old 02-06-2020, 12:04 AM   #1236
thymesnewroman
Enthusiast
thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma
Hardware PageUp and PageDown buttons don't work in "Add to Collections” screen

In the "Add to Collections'” screen, pressing the PageUp or PageDown hardware buttons don't work. I expect to see movement up or down through my various collections.

This is on Kobo Forma
thymesnewroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:53 AM   #1237
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymesnewroman View Post
In the "Add to Collections'” screen, pressing the PageUp or PageDown hardware buttons don't work. I expect to see movement up or down through my various collections.

This is on Kobo Forma
I can see that on the Libra H2O as well.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:39 AM   #1238
p0k3m0n
p0k3m0n began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi,

My reading status/progress is always 1% on mobi files - is it know bug or only me?
p0k3m0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:44 AM   #1239
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0k3m0n View Post
Hi,

My reading status/progress is always 1% on mobi files - is it know bug or only me?
Mobi has never worked well. Best to convert to ePub with Calibre.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #1240
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, this is a known and long standing bug. As @JSWolf suggested, converting to ePub is the best idea.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #1241
p0k3m0n

Thx, but it is unbelievable. This is critical bug. How it is possible not to fix it?
Old 03-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #1242
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thx, but it is unbelievable. This is critical bug. How it is possible not to fix it?
Because nobody care about mobi. It's obsolete.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:56 PM   #1243
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry, it is not a critical bug. Can you still read the book? Yes. Can you close and reopen the book to the same place? Yes. While reading, does it show where you are? Yes (look at the page number and slider). The only thing that it doesn't do is show the progress as a percent read. And, while MOBI is a supported format, it is way down in the importance of formats to support. As such, bugs that don't actually stop you from reading the book will have a low priority to fix.

If seeing the percentage read is important to you, convert the book to epub or kepub. Or get the epub versions. Overall, the reading experience will be improved a lot.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:53 AM   #1244
p0k3m0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, it is not a critical bug. Can you still read the book? Yes. Can you close and reopen the book to the same place? Yes. While reading, does it show where you are? Yes (look at the page number and slider). The only thing that it doesn't do is show the progress as a percent read. And, while MOBI is a supported format, it is way down in the importance of formats to support. As such, bugs that don't actually stop you from reading the book will have a low priority to fix.

If seeing the percentage read is important to you, convert the book to epub or kepub. Or get the epub versions. Overall, the reading experience will be improved a lot.
It is ebooks reader not a eg. smartphone. It is dedicated device to do one thing right: read ebooks. We have two main ebooks format: mobi and epub - and this mean that any reader must have 101% compatibility with that. If not, it is critical bug - whatever You write. And over.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:48 AM   #1245
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It is ebooks reader not a eg. smartphone. It is dedicated device to do one thing right: read ebooks. We have two main ebooks format: mobi and epub - and this mean that any reader must have 101% compatibility with that. If not, it is critical bug - whatever You write. And over.
And exactly how is the percent read not showing correctly stopping you from reading the book? If you cannot open the book, that is a "critical" error. If you can read the book, it is not critical. Or perhaps you can point to the MOBI specs that say that showing the current percentage read is a mandatory element to achieve certification for displaying MOBI books.

Whatever you write, it is not a critical bug. Hell, it's barely even annoying.

Of course, as you believe it is so important, I am sure that you have reported the problem to Kobo so they know that it is broken, and that they know how important that it is fixed.

Tags
pocket app