Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2021, 01:41 AM   #31
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
I wrote this also in an other thread where it was not helping. But as it help me and it sounds again same to my issue, I will repeat here ... as I can remember the pain.

Recently and suddenly my kobo aura one was not recognized by win10 anymore while glo hd had no issue.
After ... horrible time ... I got the following hint which help. Translated by Google, therefore the menu naming could be different.
In short: deinstall the device with its driver, disconnect and connect again.

Control Panel, Administration, in the right field: Computer Management, left: Disk Management, search for this “Disk” (Note: kobo was at least shown as something like «non known space» without a device number.) , right mouse button, Properties, Tab Driver, Uninstall device, tick remove driver. Unplug reader and reconnect.

Works ongoing since three month (keep finger crossed).
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #32
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I've found that on occasion the USB plug on the Kobo cable does not fully engage with the Reader. Replacing the factory cable with a good aftermarket cable resolved my issues.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2021, 06:16 AM   #33
marst
Connoisseur
marst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma; Android tablet w/Mantano Reader
I dug out the original Kobo cable that came with the Forma and tried using that one. Now the Kobo is connecting successfully to the computer every time I plug it in. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that in my case it was only an issue with the cable I'd been using.
marst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #34
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My experience, for what it's worth, cables that I've had the best luck with are any that come packaged with a Samsung phone or a Logitech Harmony remote. For some reason those always work with everything, including my Kobo readers and my older Sony readers. Those are the ones I keep permanently attached to my PC for constant use with everything.

I've had problems with cables that come with LG phones, the Kobo readers don't like those at all and usually won't connect. If I use the cables that come with the Kobo readers, those won't work on the Samsung phone or the Harmony remotes.

Just one of those really odd things, makes me wish there was some standard for cables (but I know that's impossible).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:10 PM   #35
powellgl1
powellgl1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
USB-C vs USB-A

I was experiencing the same problem. No USB-A cable attached to my laptop's USB-A port, including the one that came with my Kobo Libra H2O would achieve a connection. USB-A connection worked fine on my desktop PC. Just for grins, I tried connecting the cable to one of my laptop's USB-C ports via an adapter and, Voila, connectivity.
powellgl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2021, 12:57 PM   #36
powellgl1
powellgl1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
More USB-C/USB-A

I should also note that the laptop USB-A port works fine with other devices such as thumb drives and even an external hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellgl1 View Post
I was experiencing the same problem. No USB-A cable attached to my laptop's USB-A port, including the one that came with my Kobo Libra H2O would achieve a connection. USB-A connection worked fine on my desktop PC. Just for grins, I tried connecting the cable to one of my laptop's USB-C ports via an adapter and, Voila, connectivity.
powellgl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #37
mzel
Connoisseur
mzel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I am using USB-A. It works for me on my laptop with one of the USB ports, and does not with the other. On the desktop it works on all USB ports. Never got to figure it out
mzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #38
leokennis
leokennis began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I always had my Kobo Libra H20 connected to my MacBook Pro from 2015, using the supplied USB A <> Micro USB cable without issues.

Then I got a new MacBook which only has USB C. So I tried:

- A USB C to Micro USB cable: charging, but no data

- An Apple USB C to USB A adapter, then the Kobo USB A to Micro USB cable: charging, no data

- An Apple USB C to USB A adapter, then about 9 USB A to Micro USB cables I had laying around from all kinds of devices: charging, no data

What finally worked was:

- An Apple USB C to USB A adapter, then a $2,50 no brand USB A hub/dongle thingy from 2010 or so and then the Kobo USB A to Micro USB cable: charging, and data!

So, somehow even modern Kobo’s really love to be connected to (what they believe is) a 10-15 years old computer...
leokennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:45 AM   #39
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
I have had this issue with 2 PC windows 10 on both. Using the cable that came with my H20 V2 and the only thing that works now is 1) reboot pc 2) power off and power on kobo. Transfer books and then disconnect. bit of a faff but it works
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:34 AM   #40
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
You *could* use FTP but that doesn't solve the issue...
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:28 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
You *could* use FTP but that doesn't solve the issue...
That also doesn't allow Calibre and the plugins to send the needed metadata to manage the eBooks. So to me, FTP is a rather big fail.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My laptop and Surface Pro 2 both have USB 3 ports and I have no trouble using them with my H2O.

The problem with the new Apple laptops is that Apple is trying to push the bleeding edge and not always getting it right.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:26 PM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My laptop and Surface Pro 2 both have USB 3 ports and I have no trouble using them with my H2O.

The problem with the new Apple laptops is that Apple is trying to push the bleeding edge and not always getting it right.
Based on comments here and elsewhere, this is not an Apple problem. All computer manufacturers have this problem. The difference is that Apple does everything (laptop, OS, app), have a small product set (one in each category) and that makes it noticeable. Whereas for Windows based machines, we have HP, DELL, ASUS, ACER and however many others, so it dilutes the reports of problems. And they all have multiple machines in each category. And the blame swaps between the vendor and Windows.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:48 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Based on comments here and elsewhere, this is not an Apple problem. All computer manufacturers have this problem. The difference is that Apple does everything (laptop, OS, app), have a small product set (one in each category) and that makes it noticeable. Whereas for Windows based machines, we have HP, DELL, ASUS, ACER and however many others, so it dilutes the reports of problems. And they all have multiple machines in each category. And the blame swaps between the vendor and Windows.
My laptop from MSI. Has there been any reports of Kobo not working with an MSI laptop? I know it's not because of using USB 3 ports as I have three of them and no problem at all.

I cannot say about USB-C ports as I don't have any and have never had access to try one.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #45
leokennis
leokennis began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
But, let’s be real, the actual problem is Kobo. People with all brands of laptops can connect all types of USB peripherals (mouse, usb drive, hard drive, phones, coffee mug warmers...) without issues. But only Kobo ereaders give issues.
leokennis is offline   Reply With Quote