Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
lukaszsw
lukaszsw began at the beginning.

Device: none
Connection interrepted and I think my Kindle is broken - help!

Hi,

I've been using Calibre to upload everything to my Kindle DX. Yesterday I did the following: opened a a pdf in Calibre ebook library, added some pages and tried to upload trough Calibre. The upload process took way too much than normally (12 minutes for a 10mb file) so I thought something is stuck and disconnected the device (by cable).

Since then my laptop had problem seeing kindle as a drive, Calibre didn't recognize it or got stuck on device information reading and windows gave me constant warnings that something is wrong and I should scan kindle (which I did). Windows also reported that kindle needs formatting, which I also did but it got stuck in the middle, probably because the manual cannot be deleted.

Now is there anything I can fix? Does Calibre access any sensitive files on kindle that can be reset?

A moment ago I tried it again (after giving up and going to sleep) and it did work again (Calibre conected and some successful uploads). I've hit disconnect the device in Calibre. done. Tried safely removing the device - it say that a program is still using the drive - even after closing Calibre!

Last edited by lukaszsw; 03-27-2011 at 03:35 AM.
lukaszsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukaszsw View Post
A moment ago I tried it again (after giving up and going to sleep) and it did work again (Calibre conected and some successful uploads). I've hit disconnect the device in Calibre. done. Tried safely removing the device - it say that a program is still using the drive - even after closing Calibre!
Reboot your computer and Kindle.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
lukaszsw

I did reboot my computer several times. Only after a reboot I was able to connect. I also did reboot kindle and reformatted it (tried anyway)

The problem remains - kindle takes much time to connect and usually is recognized as generic "removable drive". Right now explorer froze when trying to access the drive.

Perhaps it doesn't have anything to do with Calibre but I am wondering if it this "device information" might be corrupted
Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
lukaszsw

I think I fixed it.

Kindle continued to connect very very slowly without any error message. So I tried to manually initiate scan in windows with both options checked (I don't know what they are called in English). And for now everything seems back to normal. I just need to remember to safely remove hardware - The quickest option seems to be to right-click the drive in explorer and press eject (tray option takes 5 seconds and Calibre eject only ejects from program processes I think)

The fault was interrupting upload process and I don't know how it happened in the first place (it froze on upload) but it might be due to loose cable.

Back to using Kindle and Calibre problem-free =)
Old 03-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, iPhone, iPad
On behalf of the people who experience similar problems and end up finding this thread, I'd like to thank you for reporting back on how you fixed the problem.

Karma coming your way.

Last edited by hrynkiw; 03-31-2011 at 05:04 PM.
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukaszsw View Post
I think I fixed it.
So I tried to manually initiate scan in windows with both options checked (I don't know what they are called in English).
"Automatically fix file system errors"
Scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors

You don't need the second tick, that is for magnetic disk media (floppy, older HD)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote