Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #31
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
So, no TV?

All forms of TV to date shine light directly at the viewer. CRT, DLP, PLASMA, LCD, and OLED.
In fact, modern flat panels are essentially giant tablets and becoming more so every day.
I prefer to think of them as giant Kindle devices. Where's my eInk TV? Dammit! more eInk!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:04 PM   #32
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Just to make the discussion even less useful there's this: https://androidcommunity.com/tcl-rol...uced-20210111/

"The NXTPAPER technology brings the TCL NXTPAPER tablet. It comes with a large 8-inch Full HD screen that looks a bit like paper. It can still show full colors and allow smooth playback of videos. ... The screen doesn’t show any blue light, artificial backlighting, or flickering." (emphasis mine).

This is after a photo of the screen with, gasp, blue stuff showing on it.
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:24 PM   #33
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I guess I just have weird eyes. My physical shows they are excellent with viewing the chart from far off, 15/20 vision. I can see far away fine and no strain when reading - but if relax eyes close up there is blur. My issue is with color contrast. I have more trouble seeing at night when driving, and sometimes watching a movie in a theater or at home with the lights off will give me a headache and eye strain. E-Ink readers don't bother me at all, and when I read Twitter on my phone in dark mode it's fine. I am fine browsing on the computer for eyes at home and on my work laptop; my large work monitor hurts my eyes and is too bright/close to my eyes, there is no way to adjust it, so I frequently get eye strain and headaches with it. I have turned the monitor brightness down as much as possible.

Reading on tablets does tend to give me eye strain and headaches. E-Ink readers don't bother my eyes. Everyone's eyes are different so of course mileage will vary depending on who is answering. The tablet is fine indoors for short periods, but not outside at all because I'm sensitive to glare. I had the same issue to a small degree with the PW4 outside because, despite what amazon claims, there can be a small amount of glare outside compared to the PW3 because it does pick up smudges with the screen change.

Oddly while my eyes are sensitive to brightness, I have the brightness turned up higher on my e-ink because when it is "dimmer", it causes eye strain, I guess because of the text contrast getting more washed out. I also can't read comfortably in dark mode at all so do not use that.

I do find my eyes lighter the warmth light. I think my issue is something with color, both dark and white, so it's picky with contrast settings.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 01-12-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:16 PM   #34
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I prefer to think of them as giant Kindle devices. Where's my eInk TV? Dammit! more eInk!
This is as close as it gets:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2021/...e-ink-monitor/

Once upon a time, 20" was the sweet spot for TVs.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:25 PM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes. I'm disappointed how few screens can go Portrait. Even fewer laptops.

Seems laptops and monitor screens dominated by the idea of delivering 16:9 landscape made for TV video. I use a 48" screen for video.
Years ago I even occasionally propped CRTs with books to read longer PDF documents full page in a decent font size.
Thanks to VESA pretty much every monitor can be set up in portrait. You can remove the stand on many (most?) rotate tbe panel and reattach.
Or, if you want to switch back and forth, you can get something like this stand starting around US$20.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...DAAO6TDKV4R7PK

Pretty much all PC video cards support rotation right from the desktop.

For laptops you need a convertible and an easel or a tablet PC. Not as convenient.

Oddly enough, there were a couple of portrait all-in-ones way back in the prehistory, most notably, the Xerox Alto in 1973 and its followers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Alto

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith_(computer)

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-12-2021 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #36
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Every glowscreen tablet I've tried has triggered my migraines.

I recently tried a Galaxy Tab A7, 0% brightness, apps to further reduce brightness and tweak color, etc. I wasn't able to avoid the migraines.

E-ink tablets, e-readers, etc. not so much. I still need to avoid strobing, either avoid blinking cursors or reduce contrast, avoid zooming, ensure readable text sizes, etc. but these are doable.

On computers, I've tried various solutions. With careful monitor settings, system settings, and software choices I don't get as many migraines, but it's still a lot harder.

As for daily life, yes, I get sick from flickering fluorescent lights, from turn signals, hazard lights, strobe lights, etc. I can't drive or take the bus and have to be very careful about crossing the street.

YMMV.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #37
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
YMMV.
Yep...that's the big idea...YMMV

I, for one, can't play 3D, first person video games. I get motion sickness within minutes. It sucks.

But I don't say "everybody get's motion sickness playing these games because I do".

Some people can't handle reading on a tablet. Far and away, most people have no problem.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:34 PM   #38
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

I, for one, can't play 3D, first person video games. I get motion sickness within minutes. It sucks.

That used to be me.
Then I tried reclining on the sofa and the problem went away. Apparently it was a function of eye height and viewing angle. Sitting up feels weird but getting the eyes perpendicular to and lined up with the screen centerline made the vertigo go away. It also helped a friend of mine.

Not sure if it'll help anybody else, though.
Probably not but it seems to help the vestibular system.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-12-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:34 PM   #39
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I have a bunch of vestibular exercises, but I don't know if they'll help with my visual issues. One involves turning back and forth, the other reaching down and up.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote