Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
marie44
marie44 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Does the Oasis track books read?

One of my favorite features about the Kobos is that is automatically tracks what books I've finished vs. what I am in the middle of reading vs. books unread - and I can filter by that status. I read a lot, so this is great to help me track what I've read and what I've started reading but got sidetracked from. However, I am considering buying an Oasis because my second Kobo reader just died (just like the first) within 18 months of buying it and Kobo customer service is complete crap, so I am leery of buying another. (And the page turn buttons on the Oasis are also attractive . . .)

Anyway, does the Oasis (or the software on any Kindle ereader) have a comparable feature to identify unread/reading/finished books? My Kindle app on my tablet does not appear to have it, but I thought maybe the ereaders might. (And if I'm wrong about the Kindle app, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.)
marie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
I use the Goodreads app for that kind of stuff :-)
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
marie44

I am aware there are many ways to track books - but the key feature on the Kobo is that it happens automatically so I don't have to remember to do so.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:26 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
While the Kindles do show a % read banner, there's no automatic filter for read/unread at the moment.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:03 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
There are signs that this may be coming soon. The latest Kindle firmware and apps contain this message:

Quote:
You can now filter your library to see only read or unread books. Books that appear to have been completed are automatically marked as read.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
marie44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
There are signs that this may be coming soon. The latest Kindle firmware and apps contain this message:
I thought I had read that somewhere which is what prompted my question. So bizarre they are including that language in the description when the functionality hasn't been pushed out yet.

Thanks to those who have let me know what the current status is! After doing a lot of research on the Forma this morning I have a feeling I will be throwing more money at Kobo, but I have to think on it some more.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie44 View Post
I thought I had read that somewhere which is what prompted my question. So bizarre they are including that language in the description when the functionality hasn't been pushed out yet.
That text is embedded in the firmware and is not currently presented to users. I assume that this feature is being beta tested and will be made available in a future firmware release.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
When I finish a book I remove it from my Kindle. Problem solved.

I think most of the issues with ereaders comes from trying to use them as mass storage instead of reading devices.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #9
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Every time I finish a book I get the popup to rate with stars. So far those stars haven't gone anywhere, not as reviews. But I am pretty sure they use them for recommendations. It also puts it in my "read" shelf on goodreads automatically as I have that turned on. So they already have been tracking that stuff for a while. Be nice if they implement it fully. Those books stay at 100% even while on the device. Of course I have "read" collections so they go in there and I don't see those books anymore the way I have my collections set. I only see stuff I haven't read yet.

They have been playing with some stuff. I just got the "you read 27 days in february" on my home view page. I like stats.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

I think most of the issues with ereaders comes from trying to use them as mass storage instead of reading devices.

Barry
Except that Kobo readers also show the unread/reading/finished status for books that haven't been downloaded, which can be quite handy.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

Barry
For me, part of the point of the ereader is having all the books. That's why I bought the original Aura HD H2O. It's very sad that Amazon has never had SD card slot (I think) and the later Kobo H2O dropped it.
Also the I think the 32G PW3 or whatever was only Japan?

Even 4G allows a huge amount of books. I do have them backed up on 2 x HDDs, my laptop and my server. I don't rely on anyone's so called "Cloud". I worked in IT and also an ISP for too many years.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:47 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
For me, part of the point of the ereader is having all the books. That's why I bought the original Aura HD H2O. It's very sad that Amazon has never had SD card slot (I think) and the later Kobo H2O dropped it.
Also the I think the 32G PW3 or whatever was only Japan?
The original Kindle had an SD card slot. The current Oasis and PW are both available in a 32GB option.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Thanks Harry. Though I'm not sure I'd want an original Kindle, unless it was free. I'm thinking the Kindle Keyboard can't be much different for checking format/layout and character set issues.
Yes, 32G is a lot of ordinary books. The Oasis is more interesting than Voyage, which seems very expensive compared to PW3. I was tempted to Oasis, but decided it was too expensive and had little advantage over my H2O original, so I bought a PW3 even though the 2019 PW4 was just being released. Mainly to buy Amazon books and test as I'd given my Kindle DXG 3G to someone with Macular degeneration. Then last month I was given the similar era 6" Kindle Keyboard. I've not registered it. I might not either. Or I might register using a USA address.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #14
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Note that some of the indications of "100% read" -- you've paged to the end of the book -- disappear if you go back to page 1, so that another user of the same account can read the book without having to always do "go to beginning". Or if you rechecked the opening paragraph or something.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I use collections to track status (not started, started, finished), but sometimes (often) forget to employ them. If and when Amazon implements a filter to do this it might be of some benefit to me (particularly for ‘not started’ books).

I’d also vote to pull down Goodreads status (from a linked Goodreads account) and be able to filter with that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote