Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 03:07 AM   #1
Pankh
Banned
Pankh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is the paperwhite worth it over the basic kindle?

I used to read a huge amount a few years ago, but the ease of just throwing up a youtube video on my phone before bed resulted in me not reading nearly as much as I used to. I'm looking to get a kindle to get back into reading, but I'm not sure whether the paperwhite is worth the extra for me. I would always be reading with lights on, or in daylight, so I'm not sure that I would use the backlight very often. I don't need the waterproofing, and I kind of prefer the smaller footprint of the basic kindle. I am on a bit of a budget, so is there any reason why I should be getting the paperwhite over the basic version?

Last edited by issybird; 02-17-2019 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Spam links deleted.
Pankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please use the forums correctly. Moved to the Kindle forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2019, 03:58 AM   #3
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
If you're in the US and you can swing the extra $20 currently, I'd say paperwhite. More storage, higher res screen, frontlight, waterproofing.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:16 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you always read in a well-lit room or outside, the basic Kindle is a good choice. The lack of any layer in front of the E-Ink screen makes it nicer, IMO, even though it's only 167ppi.

Although if the difference was only $20, I'd go for the paperwhite. In the UK the difference is £40 at the moment, and is usually £60.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:52 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In most lighting conditions, the frontlight greatly increases the contrast of the screen and makes it much more pleasant to read. I’d certainly never again buy an unlit reader.
Advert
Old 02-11-2019, 04:54 AM   #6
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
What about if it was really cheap?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:58 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
What about if it was really cheap?
Personally, no. Price is not a consideration for me when buying a reading device.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:39 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I managed to leave my Kindle at home when on holiday last year, and I bought a basic Kindle at the airport. I must admit that I was pleased with it.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:27 AM   #9
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I had Kindles without lit screens for years before the first Paperwhite arrived. I read a lot of books on it. I also had a Petzl LED headlamp for reading in places such as dim restaurants, airports, waiting for appointments in various offices.

For me, the Paperwhite is clearly "worth it".
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
My opinion is the same as Harry's. Even during the day in a well lit room, I turn the front light on my Oasis up all the way. I love the contrast it gives, and the lack of shadows or glare that can be caused by a chair side lamp or clip on light.

The only time I turn the light all the way off is during the summer when I may read outside.

I read for at least an hour every night before going to sleep, usually in a totally dark bedroom, so an unlit device just wouldn't work for me. There isn't a table lamp made that can provide the even lighting of a front lit e-ink device.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I read for at least an hour every night before going to sleep, usually in a totally dark bedroom, so an unlit device just wouldn't work for me. There isn't a table lamp made that can provide the even lighting of a front lit e-ink device.
I agree that for reading in the dark, or even a darkened, room, a front light is essential. But that wasn't the question.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have Paperwhites and Kindle basics. If lighting is not an issue, the Basic is a good choice. It is lighter and smaller.

Deskisamess, if you only have room illumination, then I understand your issue. I have actual reading lights. They are typically floor models that bring the light over your shoulder or above you. Wonderful lighting.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-11-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Personal preference. Even discounting the frontlight, for me, text is too fuzzy for comfort at lower than ~200 ppi so I consider the Paperwhite worth the premium.

Mind, I do own non-lit readers (e.g. Sony PRS-350 paired with the lighted case) and I have to say, I find built-in lighting on the Paperwhite super convenient. I can't abide shadows and uneven lighting on my reader while reading in the dark.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post

Deskisamess, if you only have room illumination, then I understand your issue. I have actual reading lights. They are typically floor models that bring the light over your shoulder or above you. Wonderful lighting.
I've had a couple of full spectrum lights, but didn't like being limited to one location, and they always seemed to cast a hot spot or create shadows on the page. I do like them for hand sewing etc. My eyes are really sensitive to non-diffused light, partly from a neurological issue I have.

The evenness of the front-lit screens really works well for me.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #15
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I agree that for reading in the dark, or even a darkened, room, a front light is essential. But that wasn't the question.
Relevant though IMO, for other users who may be reading here.