Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #61
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Soirry, but thats not a replacement. In Bookview i can open exactly the picture i'm looking at in a new tab without going to the browser. If you have tons of pictures in a book, all of them having cryptic filenames it just saves time to open it quick in a new tab. Going to the tab the file is then highlighted in the bookbrowser where i can rename it. Or i can make use of "open with" from the tab.

Otherwise i need to remember the filename and locate it in the book browser, where the tree of images might be folded and need to be expanded first. Much more clicks, much more to remember.
I see that Kevin has already replied to this, but I think it's important for those of us who are NOT the maintainers to remember that nobody said that they were going to replace BookView, or all its functions. Sure, if there's something that's overwhelmingly compelling, or it turns out that hundreds or even dozens of people use something, I'm sure that Diap and Kevin will try to emulate it, but the Demise of Bookview has been decided for quite a long time now. These sort of kibitzes are not going to change BookView's fate.

It's simple enough to see an image in preview and click over to Code view. The "name" of the image is right there. It's not dozens of clicks to find it and open it--it's what, two? Sure, if you're doing a book with 200 images, that's less convenient than using BV to see/click, but...it's just not that big of a difference. It's not 10 clicks instead of 1, y'know?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Click-counting. That way lies madness.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-22-2018 at 02:56 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #63
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Click-counting. That way lies madness.
Troo dat.

Spoiler:
Humorously, in the "that way lay madness" category, I go through this with my PM system, and the guys who maintain/developed it. It's VERY "clicky," and I frequently get into it with them, because they use the software a bit differently than we do. I wish I had a click-counter, I really do, but of course, keystroke loggers only log keyboard activity, not clicks. However, I find myself frequently doing videos or click-counts, to show them that they way they've modified X results in, say, 18 clicks instead of 4-5. And yes, it's insane to sit there and do that type of counting, but if you do that same thing 100x daily, that 13-14 click difference, x 100, really adds up!! But I am talking about a thousand clicks a day or so, not a handful.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #64
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Sorry i never said that this has to be done. i just wanted to point out that there is a feature which is heavily used at least by one user. If its ported into püreview - fine. If not - i have to live with that. It was just a hint.

But: I feel the answers are arrogant and condescending and with this tone I will not only no longer participate in this discussion, but in the whole forum.

Last edited by Maui; 07-22-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #65
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use the Report tool to see thumbnails and usage counts.
Clicking on the file name, takes you to the next place of usage.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #66
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Sorry i never said that this has to be done. i just wanted to point out that there is a feature which is heavily used at least by one user. If its ported into püreview - fine. If not - i have to live with that. It was just a hint.

But: I feel the answers are arrogant and condescending and with this tone I will not only no longer participate in this discussion, but in the whole forum.
Honestly, I'm very surprised t hear you say that. Everyone has responded, rather than ignoring what you said, which would have been arrogant and condescending. I was simply reminding you--and more importantly, other people that will come along later, who don't have the benefit of reading this thread live, right now--that the fate of BV is already decided, and that unless a boatload of people agree that the functionality you're talking about is one that they really need, it's unlikely that the maintainers--who donate their time, and won't even accept donations or gifts, I feel compelled to add--are going to try to make that work in Preview.

I do not remotely understand WHAT you find arrogant or condescending about that. But, as you do, then, fine, I'll make sure to not respond to your posts from this point forward, as it seems that even innocuous responses disturb you. Perhaps it's a cradle language issue.

/done. Sorry I bothered.

Hitch
Old 07-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #67
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I never tried that, as I never use BookView, but I must say that I do see that it would be very useful to be honest. If you have many pictures, the names do not always tell you what it is. Would it perhaps be useful, if it is not too much work of course, to implement double click on an image in Preview would open the picture in a tab?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
If you have many pictures, the names do not always tell you what it is. Would it perhaps be useful, if it is not too much work of course, to implement double click on an image in Preview would open the picture in a tab?
If you're looking at it in Preview, don't you already know what it is?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just honestly don't understand why opening another tab with the same image you were already looking at in Preview (or Book View) is all that advantageous. If you're looking at it in Preview with the Code View open, you can already see the image name and are easily able to go to it in the Book Browser. From there you can rename it, or open it in an external editor, right? The Book Browser is where all image-related editing (rename, edit externally) is ultimately going to end up, no?

Or if opening the image in a new tab truly is being used merely to get the correct image pre-selected in the Book Browser, then the same functionality exists as a context-menu item when right-clicking on the image src in Code View. So while scrolling in Code View and seeing the image you want to work with in Preview, one merely right-clicks on the image src url in Code view and selects "Open Tab For Image" and .... voila! There's your Tab. There's your image filename highlighted in the Book Browser.

I don't think we'd be opposed to having an image clicked on in Preview opening the image's tab if it's easily achievable (we've added the ability for clicking links in Preview to open new tabs after all). But if it proves complicated/difficult, I'm not really seeing a lot motivation to work on something that's pretty easily achievable via other (similar) methods.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-23-2018 at 01:57 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #69
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
If you're looking at it in Preview, don't you already know what it is?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just honestly don't understand why opening another tab with the same image you were already looking at in Preview (or Book View) is all that advantageous. If you're looking at it in Preview with the Code View open, you can already see the image name and are easily able to go to it in the Book Browser. From there you can rename it, or open it in an external editor, right? The Book Browser is where all image-related editing (rename, edit externally) is ultimately going to end up, no?
Because those folks aren't. They're looking at it in BV. They're not Preview, which by necessity, has Code View open. If they were looking at it in Preview, they'd be noticing what you're seeing, which is, they'd have the image file name immediately to hand. Because if you see something in Preview that you want to look at, you click in PV, and bang--you're jumped there in CV, and Bob's-yer-uncle, there's the image name. The poster isn't looking at that--he's only looking at what Preview can't do.

Yes, it's a click or two more, arguably, then "just" clicking on an image in BV.

Or tried...

Quote:
Or if opening the image in a new tab truly is being used merely to get the correct image pre-selected in the Book Browser, then the same functionality exists as a context-menu item when right-clicking on the image src in Code View. So while scrolling in Code View and seeing the image you want to work with in Preview, one merely right-clicks on the image src url in Code view and selects "Open Tab For Image" and .... voila! There's your Tab. There's your image filename highlighted in the Book Browser.
Right, that is another path to get there, just as expeditious, IMHO, as clicking on it in BV.

Quote:
I don't think we'd be opposed to having an image clicked on in Preview opening the image's tab if it's easily achievable (we've added the ability for clicking links in Preview to open new tabs after all). But if it proves complicated/difficult, I'm not really seeing a lot motivation to work on something that's pretty easily achievable via other (similar) methods.

Well, we only work in CV with the occasional glance at Preview, so it matters not to us. But I genuinely don't think that the discussion in the last few days has been about finding the image or image name. We all responded about different ways to do the same thing. So...if the goal was to get to an easy replacement for it, I think that's been met. But the initial reply about images and BV/CV doesn't seem to be about that at all. To me, it sounded like an argument to retain BV.

I think we need a Pinned topic, saying "Ding Dong Book View is Dead, the View is Dead, the View is Dead..." Not in that joyful sense, of course, and not set to music, but something like it, to forestall this conversation, over and over. Hell, for all I know, there already is a pinned topic about this, and I've simply missed it, but if there isn't, I strongly recommend one. People seem to get mighty angry, upon finding out that it's in its death throes, so...it might save all of us some time and abuse, if the dry facts are already set out. Particularly saving you, Doug, and Kev.

Hitch
Old 07-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #70
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
You can do a lot more with an image in BV than simply opening it in a tab.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	165168

I've used the Paste option a couple of times to replace 'place holder' images with the real thing - graphs, diagrams etc.

Just saying.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #71
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You can do a lot more with an image in BV than simply opening it in a tab.

Attachment 165168

I've used the Paste option a couple of times to replace 'place holder' images with the real thing - graphs, diagrams etc.

Just saying.

BR
The one real difference I see here is Inspect Element. You can open the image, from CV, in the tab, and that gives you all the options you have there, EXCEPT inspect element. (Which I use the Console for, but...whatever.)

Yes, you can argue that it's an extra click, but that's it. What you can't do, I agree, is paste the image into CV.

Hitch
Old 07-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #72
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
The one real difference I see here is Inspect Element. You can open the image, from CV, in the tab, and that gives you all the options you have there, EXCEPT inspect element. (Which I use the Console for, but...whatever.)

Yes, you can argue that it's an extra click, but that's it. What you can't do, I agree, is paste the image into CV.

Hitch
But there is the 'place Image' tool (optionally used with the Import Image File tool.
Since images are usually few and far between, counting clicks seems like
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #73
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
But there is the 'place Image' tool (optionally used with the Import Image File tool.
Since images are usually few and far between, counting clicks seems like
I don't disagree--I was simply acknowledging it before someone said "yes, but it's X more clicks" or whatever. And Diap said, that way lay madness.

Hitch
Old 07-23-2018, 08:47 PM   #74
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Hitch
I never argue on click counts, if you saw the problems I have clicking in the right place, you'd understand why

Inspect Element is already available when you right click an image in Preview, so nothing to do regarding it.

But Paste, which was the option I specifically mentioned, does not seem to be available in Book Browser menu, or the image view tab right click menu. one has to open the place-holder image in an image editor and do the Paste of the replacement in it.

Another difference for me is that right clicking on a image in BV is much easier that right clicking on a file in the book browser - because there's big target at which to aim the rodent.

BR
Old 07-23-2018, 09:01 PM   #75
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Since images are usually few and far between,
Depends of the book. Last last year I helped a friend publish a "How to build a boat" book, it had over 300 images. Quite a few of the images weren't 'good enough', so she had to create some replacements - that was where I used BV Paste to good effect.

BR