Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #31
cmb1175
Enthusiast
cmb1175 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire 7th gen
tried to download moon+ reader but amazon says its not compatible with my kindle fire
can you recommend a reader app please, i tried Aldiko but it takes the books out of CC and when i try to open it in CC i get a error this document is already on your bookshelf

another missing book lol

Last edited by cmb1175; 01-04-2019 at 08:43 AM.
cmb1175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #32
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
It is 100% compatible. But Amazon block it as a competitor. They block all readers that can do tts.. So you have to do a coplicated dance using 2 tablets or using bluestacks emulator. Then use backup and restore to sideloaded it to fire tablet. Same palaver with bookari.
If you have a non Amazon tablet, put Amazon app store on that, then you can buy it, back it up, copy it.. so long as both tablets use same Amazon account it will be ok.
Otherwise you have to install bluestacks on pc. Put Amazon app store into that. Buy it there, it looks like a generic android device to Amazon....

Others have said that if you buy from Google store, it is easily copyable. I have Google store on my fire tablet so I just shop with Google for almost all my apps. There are other threads and how tos for that but you can't instwall Google store with 2013 kindle fire, only with newer tablets
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #33
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Ahhh, Amazon. Blocking access to competition.

You can get the free version of moon+ at http://www.moondownload.com/download.html. As far as I can tell, this is an "official" website. If you have a non-Amazon android device then you can buy the pro version from the Google Play store, recover the APK, and sideload it onto the fire. Use something like apk extractor to get the APK.

Another good reader app is fbreader. You can get the Fire version at https://fbreader.org/content/special-editions
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #34
cmb1175
Enthusiast

ok i have moon+ reader and fbreader on 2 of my kindles i have downloaded some book to CC in EPUB format and so far so good, up to now i have no missing books.

i can live with reading the books with either 3rd party reader no porbs

only thing i have notice is my books do not show in the last read thing or the your recent items now

but at least they are not being moved or deleted so far

thank you chaley and stumped for all your help

Carolyn
Old 01-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #35
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb1175 View Post
ok i have moon+ reader and fbreader on 2 of my kindles i have downloaded some book to CC in EPUB format and so far so good, up to now i have no missing books.

i can live with reading the books with either 3rd party reader no porbs

only thing i have notice is my books do not show in the last read thing or the your recent items now

but at least they are not being moved or deleted so far

Carolyn
That is the trade off. To Amazon a book is not a book unless it is in an Amazon format.
But moon reader has its own recent tab, I use that all the time.
It also has widgets, on proper android tablets, but fire does not do widgets

I never go to the for you tab on fire (where it puts recents)as it insists on spamming me with links to local news and I have wasted far too many hours trying and failing to put a stop to rhwt
I rely instead on watchlists or recents within apps.

I did like the green background option in Kindle reader but I got a close match to that by messing with moon reader options

I use the moon reader recents also to impose some self discipline, I don't allow myself to begin a new book if I already have a full screen of recent reads in progress. My rule is either finish a part read one first or admit that is not going to happen and remove it from device
Old 01-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #36
cmb1175
Enthusiast

Thanks i will try the moon reader recent tab, its worth the compromise not to keel having books deleted.

the moon reader options are nice, i set my background

Thanks you very much for your help, keep getting the book file is missing was driving me mad lol
Old 01-06-2019, 08:51 AM   #37
cmb1175
Enthusiast

Just a quick follow up, i have no more missing/deleted books, sending the EPUBS works great, they send to CC quicker and open quicker. Moon+ reader works great

I now have EPUB on all 3 of my kindles

i would have liked moon+ reader pro but amazon blocks me at every try. i down loaded bluestacks and have got moon+ reader pro in there and on pc but cant see how to get a file i can sideload onto my kindles, same with my android phone,I downloaded it but it just opens and i cant see a way to get a file over to my kindle but i can live happy with moon+ reader

thank you once again chaley and stumped for all your help.

carolyn
Old 01-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #38
stumped
Wizard

I did the bluestacks thing but it was a while ago and I needed a lotmofnhelp from Google.
But from memory... 1. Add a backup and restore free app from Amazon store into bluestacks. 2. Then use that to backup the purchased moon reader app. 3. Now you have to solve how to see inside bluestacks from Windows, but what I did instead was to also add Dropbox to bluestacks and uploaded the backup file, the APK for moon reader, to Dropbox, instead.
4. Then via Dropbox on the fire tablet, download to that tablet. There are probably simpler ways, but I got stuck on getting windows to see and share files and folders with bluestacks

Ps from another android phone it is easier. Any backup and restore utility will do. Tell it to backup moon reader and note where it puts the backup. Navigate to that folder and copy the backup, which will have a .APK extension.
Put that on the fire tablet and open it to install...

Last edited by stumped; 01-06-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #39
cmb1175
Enthusiast

I will give it a try thanks, i am ok with moon+ reader but i dont like to let amazon bet me lol

thanks
carolyn
Old 01-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #40
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Ps from another android phone it is easier. Any backup and restore utility will do. Tell it to backup moon reader and note where it puts the backup. Navigate to that folder and copy the backup, which will have a .APK extension.
Put that on the fire tablet and open it to install...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb1175 View Post
I will give it a try thanks, i am ok with moon+ reader but i dont like to let amazon bet me lol

thanks
carolyn
If moon+ pro does a license check then it probably won't work on the fire without the google play store installed. I had to do something special with CC to deal with this problem on e-ink devices.

Installing the Play Store is worth it in general because it gives you access to all the Android apps in it, not just the ones that Amazon chooses to offer. Installing it isn't hard. See this link for instructions.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #41
stumped
Wizard

There are 2 solutions here.
1. Is install Google play on fire,, buy from Google, but maybe the op has an old Kindle fire so that does not work.
2. Buy moon from Amazon store, they happily sell it to any device or virtual device that is not a fire, then backup and sideload. That works if the purchasing device and the target device use same Amazon account. The Amazon version is never quite as up tomcats as the Google version but this is a stable app, so no big deal.
And for the record, others say that moon pro from Google play does not do a regular licence check so once you have bought it , it can be copied and re used? I am surprised the author does not see the need to block that..
Amazon store checks licences daily..

I use method 1 now, but I used to use method 2, before I learnt how to install Google on fire
We have several fire devices but I cannot add Google to the oldest one that is running os 4. Wasted hours trying. For os 5 it is easy, but there's is no guarantee that Amazon will not block it at some point. And some folks have problems with 2018 models. There was a long recent thread about adding Google to a 2018 fire hd8, where the OP got into a Terrible mess

Last edited by stumped; 01-06-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #42
cmb1175
Enthusiast

Thanks chaley

that worked, i now google play store on my kindles and i have moon+ reader pro installed.

its great to have access to other Android apps in google play store apps as well

i am well pleased

thank you both once again for all your help. i appreciate it very much

carolyn