Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2018, 03:29 AM   #1
greylogan
greylogan began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Kindle Paperwhite (1st Gen)

Having trouble with my 1st gen Paperwhite that I bought in 2012. Some books do not show after a while. The only way to make the books show again is restarting device. This happens every so often and I have no idea what to make of it. Only theory is perhaps the battery is going bad or the memory/storage is going bad. These are mobi files I did not get through Amazon but elsewhere, but are legit, and it certainly is a strange occurrence. Books just disappearing on me and the only way for them to resurface again is restarting the device. Any clue as to what is going on? I do want to get a new version of the Paperwhite, perhaps even the Voyage, but right now I am strapped for cash.
greylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:06 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I would suggest IF you don't have Back ups to make some.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2018, 04:19 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have been told that sideloaded files don't appear until indexed. How much free space do you have on your Kindle?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:42 AM   #4
greylogan

Thank you both for your responses. To answer Barbara. Yes, I do have a backup of all my ebooks on my computer but I plan on making one huge backup of the Paperwhte itself onto a thumb drive.

Pdurrant, I believe I have about 200MB free of the 2GB capacity. I had way less than that, but I deleted a lot of books I hadn't planned on reading any time soon to make room for books I planned on reading. Also, how do I index the sideloaded books? Any way I can force this? I just checked. I have 186MB free.

By the way, this just started happening recently. Haven't had this issue before in the 6 years that I've had the Paperwhite. Even though it's not the newest device with the fresh coat of paint, it's still working well and is fast enough for me. I do want the newest version, and I think that will fix my issue until I need a new one in the next 6 years or so.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:49 AM   #5
greylogan

Ok, just when I went to check on my storage, the Paperwhite did it again. At my home screen, my recent book that I have been reading for a couple weeks now is not there. I am restarting my Kindle now and it should reappear. I am also looking up how to index books to see if that might fix this really bad issue.I shouldn't have to restart my Kindle every time I back out of the book I am reading. It doesn't happen unless I back out of the book to the home screen. If I stay in the book when pressing the power button, I can still read it fine as it is still there when I go back to it. Kindle restarted and all the books that weren't showing are showing again, including the book I was reading. This is getting really bad.
Advert
Old 03-02-2018, 01:57 AM   #6
greylogan

Sorry the third reply. So I looked up indexing and found a good site to tell which books are indexing still. According to results, I have 17 books "Not Yet Indexed" and of those books are all the books that are not showing sometimes when I go to the home screen. So, I found the culprit, now I need to get these things indexed. And the only way to index, according to this site, is to delete each one and add them again, practically individually. I suppose I can do that, since I am not reading any of them except for one. I will have to make note of where I am in the book I AM reading so I can get to it more speedily. Thank you, pdurrant, for that info on indexing. I would never have known about this being a thing unless you told me about it.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would delete ‘My Clippings’ (after backing it up if you need it). If you have never done that it could be quite large, and degrades performance as every highlight and note you make forces it to be re-indexed.

But I’d also consider getting a new Paperwhite. More storage, much better display and front lighting. Amazon periodically has $30 off deals.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote