Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #76
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The examples where I saw it yesterday were mostly from stock stylesheets. The most common usage was to prevent page breaks within headings. While adding that does not hurt, it probably also does not help much either since the default KFX widow/orphan handling will prevent page breaks for headings of three lines or less anyway.
We tried to do it with subheads and the ensuing paras and stuff like that, but honestly, not that enthusiastically and ever since my latest adventures with the series we discussed in this thread, I'm even less enthused about it. In viewing and reading it on a real device, it's STOOPID. (JMHO). It's too distracting and disruptive, to have pages end early like that.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:32 PM   #77
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
As far as I can tell page-break-before:avoid and page-break-after:avoid are completely missing from all of the Kindle formats.
Another update. I came across one book that just became available with Enhanced Typesetting (KFX format) within the past few days that includes the KFX equivalent of "page-break-after: avoid" applied to its headings.

This particular books was originally published several years ago and has not been available with Enhanced Typesetting until now. As far as I can tell the book was not updated by the publisher. It appears that Amazon's workflow has changed to allow more books to be successfully converted to KFX. Looking at the coding of the book it uses a stylesheet from a Pressbooks theme called Leonard, which makes use of "page-break-after: avoid".

The current Kindle Previewer 3.36.1 strips out this property and I haven't seen it in any other book so far. Based on this I believe that it is likely that this is a new feature being rolled out in the publishing workflow.

Assuming that this property will be honored in KFX format going forward, it will make it easier to have captions stay with pictures and have other similar layouts that did not work previously in the Kindle ecosystem.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:02 PM   #78
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Another update. I came across one book that just became available with Enhanced Typesetting (KFX format) within the past few days that includes the KFX equivalent of "page-break-after: avoid" applied to its headings.

This particular books was originally published several years ago and has not been available with Enhanced Typesetting until now. As far as I can tell the book was not updated by the publisher. It appears that Amazon's workflow has changed to allow more books to be successfully converted to KFX. Looking at the coding of the book it uses a stylesheet from a Pressbooks theme called Leonard, which makes use of "page-break-after: avoid".

The current Kindle Previewer 3.36.1 strips out this property and I haven't seen it in any other book so far. Based on this I believe that it is likely that this is a new feature being rolled out in the publishing workflow.

Assuming that this property will be honored in KFX format going forward, it will make it easier to have captions stay with pictures and have other similar layouts that did not work previously in the Kindle ecosystem.
Well, depending upon how that's implemented, that might be lovely. Or not, if it's only available in KFX via KC. I guess we'll find out.

Thanks for the update, JHowell. Much, much appreciated as are all your contributions and insights.

Hitch
Old 02-16-2020, 03:17 PM   #79
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I ran across another newly published book today and this one has page-break-before:avoid active in KFX format.

It looks like Amazon is now supporting those properties, but only in KFX format as far as I can tell.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #80
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I ran across another newly published book today and this one has page-break-before:avoid active in KFX format.

It looks like Amazon is now supporting those properties, but only in KFX format as far as I can tell.
RATS.

Thanks, Jhowell, for all you do and inform.

Hitch
Old 04-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #81
LoganW
Enthusiast
LoganW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis 2
Glad I found this thread. I kept wondering why many of my pages weren't filling up with text and suddenly realized it was orphan and widow avoidance.

I'm into typography so I do this all the time in printed books. However, note that this works well in printed books because when properly done you have two facing pages with equal textblock size. To the reader it looks normal. But when you are staring at one "page" and the textblock size keeps changing, it becomes incredibly distracting and makes me believe prematurely that the chapter is ending.

I've sent an email to Amazon (kindle-feedback@amazon.com) and I'd happily start a petition on Change.org if I thought it would help anything.

This seems like such a simple option to add to the Page Display settings and I don't want to have to reformat all my books in Calibre to add in the CSS to avoid displaying it....
LoganW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganW View Post
Glad I found this thread. I kept wondering why many of my pages weren't filling up with text and suddenly realized it was orphan and widow avoidance.

I'm into typography so I do this all the time in printed books. However, note that this works well in printed books because when properly done you have two facing pages with equal textblock size. To the reader it looks normal. But when you are staring at one "page" and the textblock size keeps changing, it becomes incredibly distracting and makes me believe prematurely that the chapter is ending.

I've sent an email to Amazon (kindle-feedback@amazon.com) and I'd happily start a petition on Change.org if I thought it would help anything.

This seems like such a simple option to add to the Page Display settings and I don't want to have to reformat all my books in Calibre to add in the CSS to avoid displaying it....
It's very easy to add in the CSS needed using the Calibre editor. I do it all the time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:04 PM   #83
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganW View Post

Yup, this is exactly what I was kvetching about, upthread. Pisses me right off. The ebooks made with that Mac program, VELLUM, seems to generate eBooks that are HIGHLY prone to this. But, hey, it's EASY! (grrrrrrrrrrrr)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's very easy to add in the CSS needed using the Calibre editor. I do it all the time.
Jon, dearest, that's not really the point. I shouldn't have to work on my recreational reading, ya know? If you hobbyists want to, go with God, but I DAMN sure don' wanna.

Hitch
Old 04-16-2020, 09:04 PM   #84
LoganW
Enthusiast
LoganW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I also edit books all the time. I'm very adept at creating CSS rules for how I want things to be indented in relation to eachother etc. I also like the KFX output because I enjoy the hyphenated breaks, better kerning and ligatures.

But should I have to edit orphans and widows from an undesirable default Kindle has imposed on me? I certainly know how to do it, but should I have to?

This seems to me something that should be an adjustable reading option, not something embedded in each individual file.
LoganW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:59 AM   #85
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I came across one book that just became available with Enhanced Typesetting (KFX format) within the past few days that includes the KFX equivalent of "page-break-after: avoid" applied to its headings.
Quote:
Yet another update.

The page-break-before:avoid and page-break-after:avoid properties first started working in KFX format early last year. Then in August Amazon removed that feature. Now it they are re-introducing it again with an internal name of KINDLE_YJ_KEEP_TOGETHER_REVIVAL. Perhaps this time it will stick around.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #86
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yet another update.

The page-break-before:avoid and page-break-after:avoid properties first started working in KFX format early last year. Then in August Amazon removed that feature. Now it they are re-introducing it again with an internal name of KINDLE_YJ_KEEP_TOGETHER_REVIVAL. Perhaps this time it will stick around.

UGHGHGHGHGHGHGHG. I really hate that feature. It's just implemented badly. I genuinely hope that it's "better" this time. That "oh, I'm coming to the end of the chapter" sensation, 20x per chapter, is annoying as hell.

Hitch
Old 08-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #87
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Another update. The break before/after avoid properties have been honored by the Kindle for iOS and Android apps in KFX format since early this year. With the latest Kindle firmware update (5.13.7) these are now supported by e-ink Kindles. They still do not work in the PC and Mac apps.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:25 PM   #88
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Another update. The break before/after avoid properties have been honored by the Kindle for iOS and Android apps in KFX format since early this year. With the latest Kindle firmware update (5.13.7) these are now supported by e-ink Kindles. They still do not work in the PC and Mac apps.
Well...that will be fascinating to see in the wild.

I wonder just how breakable, or not, that is? I mean, let's face it, for captioning....

Hitch
Old 08-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #89
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
Does it seem to do anything for break-inside?
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:38 PM   #90
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipgessert View Post
Does it seem to do anything for break-inside?
Break inside avoid was already working in KFX format and continues to do so. It does not work in MOBI or KF8.