Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
PattDM
PattDM began at the beginning.

Device: None
9.6" vs 6" screen size - which is better?

Hi!

This may have been asked before and I just can't find it. I apologize if that's true. But...

I'm debating which size Kindle I want, the Kindle 3 or the Kindle DX. The Kindle 3 is obviously smaller, easier to carry, easier to hold in one hand, while the Kindle DX has a larger screen and can display more text at one time. Not considering cost or differences in features, which screen size is better for reading? Which is more comfortable to hold while reading?

It's hard to know without trying each of them a few hours each. Your thoughts are appreciated!
PattDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattDM View Post
It's hard to know without trying each of them a few hours each. Your thoughts are appreciated!
I've never owned a DX. But, what you could try is you could order both, use them for a month, then keep the one you prefer. Amazon's return policy is 30 days for the Kindle. That's what I would recommend doing.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I have a five inch reader and the DX. I LOVE the DX's size, but I prefer reading hardback books which are larger anyhow. It's just a matter of preference. I haven't had any issues with it being too large to take with me places. I find that I can read much faster with the larger screen. It is a bit heavy to hold but IMO the larger screen is worth the trade off, unless you have some physical limitations. My local Target now carries the Kindle 2 so I went to check it out before I made the plunge. I just got my DXG in last week and I regret not buying a reader with a larger screen sooner.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
IMO, 6" is just too small. It's smaller than a regular paperback.
If you try to keep as many words on one page as a paperback, you end up with small characters.
If you use larger characters, you end up with less words per page and you have to turn pages more often.

For reading books, I think 8" would be perfect.

Since I also read graphic novels and other comics, 9.6" is perfect for me. It is a little heavy, though.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
It really is a personal matter. I found that reading books like any of the last four Harry Potter books, any of the Ice and Fire series, and increasingly any hard cover book was uncomfortable enough to interfere with the reading experience. For me, one advantage of eBook readers is their light weight and portability. You might try reading one of the big hard back books then switching to a smaller paperback to get a feel for the two sizes.

Frankly, I find the smaller screen easier to read too. The iBooks on the iPad can be turned to landscape and it displays in 'two page' mode like Adobe Acrobat can, and I find that easier to read than putting all on one page. But it is entirely personal. You could experiment with Acrobat in full screen and two-page mode also to get a feel for how the different screen sizes feel to you. (Just suggesting a trial. I don't think the DXG will display books in two-page mode like the iPad does though.)

In the end, it's a win win proposition.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
joeman
joeman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, in this case, for me personally, size does matter and that means the large screen is what important to me. Don't want to sacrifice primary needs for too much comfort until we can plug into the matrix directly
joeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
These threads might be helpful...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93015
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81566
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I read on the K1 and K2 for 2 years or so, then got an iPad with the 9.7” screen. I used it exclusively for 3 months, then finally went back to the K2.The reason? I don’t like reading on the bigger screen. Nothing to do with backlit versus reflective lighting at all. It was strictly the size of the screen. The 6” is simply more comfortable for me to read on.

Last edited by JMikeD; 08-17-2010 at 11:30 AM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, I do like the 7" screen of the Sony PRS-900. It's bigger, but not too much bigger.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I read on the K1 and K2 for 2 years or so, then got an iPad with the 9.7” screen. I used it exclusively for 3 months, then finally went back to the K2.The reason? I don’t like reading on the bigger screen. Nothing to do with backlit versus reflective lighting at all. It was strictly the size of the screen. The 6” is simply more comfortable for me to read on.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:29 AM   #11
AndresP
AndresP began at the beginning.

Device: current:Kindle DXG, before:Compaq ipaq,Sony PRS-505
It depends also from formats You read - i read a lot of techical PDF's. Containing diagrams, charts, pictures. For this stuff 9" screen is a must. Previously i used Sony PRS-505(6" screen) - it was perfect for easy reading. But complex pdf's were either to small (size adjusted) or totally out of layout (with reflow or conversion) and hard to read and understand. With my new DXG - it is much-much better.
Yes - DXG is bigger, heavier and doesnt fit anymore in pocket.
AndresP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 AM   #12
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
I've recently been asking myself the exact same question.

Though I'm quite happy with my DX, I had pretty much made up my mind to get the new Kindle 3 due to 1) the new Pearl screen and 2) the weight savings vs. the DX.

Here's the crux, I hadn't ever seen a 6" screen in real life but when I was over to the U.S. the other week I made a point of visiting a Target to have a look at Kindle 2 and the Sony readers. I must admit I was taken aback by just how small the screen is. They had no working demo so I then went to a Borders where a kind gentleman allowed me to play around with a Kobo but again I was underwhelmed. The screen feels tiny.

I am now very undecided. I worry that I won't get into my "flow" on a 6". It just seemed to not contain much text and this bothered me. I'm not entirely sure why that is. Could be just habit.

I think my ideal screen size is a something closer to the iPad, though slightly narrower.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Well to me 9 inches is bigger than the pages in most regular paperback books and is closer in size to a hardback book. Apart from their size and weight one of the things I dont like about Hardbacks is the size of the pages. I like a nice sized paperback, so I think I would prefer a 6'' screen. However some people would probably prefer a bigger screen because it wouldnt require as many page turns.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 AM   #14
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Briefly ..
Quote:
If you read Text books (txt, azw, prc, mobi, tpz): then Kindle 3 with 6" display is more light and is more comfortable.
Quote:
If you read PDFs, scanned books, magazines, comics or newspaperes; so Kindle DX/DXG with 9.7" display will be really better.

Last edited by meem; 08-20-2010 at 07:44 PM.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:06 AM   #15
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nielsen View Post
I've recently been asking myself the exact same question.

Though I'm quite happy with my DX, I had pretty much made up my mind to get the new Kindle 3 due to 1) the new Pearl screen and 2) the weight savings vs. the DX.

Here's the crux, I hadn't ever seen a 6" screen in real life but when I was over to the U.S. the other week I made a point of visiting a Target to have a look at Kindle 2 and the Sony readers. I must admit I was taken aback by just how small the screen is. They had no working demo so I then went to a Borders where a kind gentleman allowed me to play around with a Kobo but again I was underwhelmed. The screen feels tiny.

I am now very undecided. I worry that I won't get into my "flow" on a 6". It just seemed to not contain much text and this bothered me. I'm not entirely sure why that is. Could be just habit.

I think my ideal screen size is a something closer to the iPad, though slightly narrower.
If you want, there's an 8 inches ereader from Asus that's supposed to come out in october. Price: “under $599”.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote