Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #16
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just can't get used to landscape reading. I mean you never read a paper book in landscape mode so I just don't feel that landscape reading is natural.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #17
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I keep my iPad locked on landscape so the rare times I've read a book on it, I've done that in landscape, too - it seems to work pretty well, but I've been reading in two-column layout, so it looks like a paper book in that sense, with two pages open next to each other.

I've never used my Kindles in landscape, but then I use the third or fourth text size (up from the smallest) so I don't have issues with the number of words on a line. If I needed a font several sizes larger than what I use, I think I might feel more comfortable with landscape, as I assume having just 2-3 words per line would become tedious pretty quickly otherwise.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Where two-column landscape pays off best is with small font-sizes where you get a lot of content per screen *and* good scan-width for better ergonomics.

There is also the (special?) case of children's books which have often been designed for landscape reading. With rich-text formats starting to mature, that category is going to be more significant moving forward.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #19
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Both my older and younger daughter read in landscape mode. I don't know why the older one does, but the younger one reads picture books, and as fjtorres said in the previous post, picture books are usually in landscape mode. (The girls have a Nook Tablet and a Nook Color.) I think most can do it. My older daughter's Nook Tablet has an N2A card as well, which allows her to use it as an Android tablet, and she reads in landscape in the Kindle app on that as well.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote