Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #481
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
...I was actually trying to annoy hubby because he didn't share my enthusiasm about the Paperwhite. So I was making him listen to the reviews hoping he see the beauty of the device ...
Blossom, did it work? Have you pre-ordered yours yet? If not, just tell him to give it up. When the wife wants something, wife will get it!!!!

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #482
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
It looks like the Paperwhite does not have audio. MP3 isn't listed as a supported content type in the specs and there are dashes on the features chart in the "audio" column for that device. Only the Kindle Keyboard and Fire models are listed as having audio now.
Along with audio being gone, storage is down to 1.2GB (from about 3.2GB). I mostly use audio for TTS, never for music, rarely for audiobooks. But I'll miss it.

Also disappointing is the lack of TTS on Fire's Kindle app. It's built in to Android and so they just need to wire it up.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #483
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Blossom, did it work? Have you pre-ordered yours yet? If not, just tell him to give it up. When the wife wants something, wife will get it!!!!

Not yet. The weekend will be my wear him down time. During the week he's so occupied with work and school. Weekends it's just school so I be able to talk his ear off with no escape. Back up plan is there is always my mama who loves me! That will irk him to no end to give in.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #484
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I wish you luck. I'm going to bite the bullet and get me the KPW. As if I need a new ereader. But, it's time to move on!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #485
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I wish you luck. I'm going to bite the bullet and get me the KPW. As if I need a new ereader. But, it's time to move on!!
I think the PW will be the best Kindle yet. I know people like buttons but Touch is the where devices are going. The great thing is it uses a capacitive screen! So people should be able to use it in the bathtub or in a water proof baggy.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #486
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
I know people like buttons but Touch is the where devices are going.
skate to where puck will be, not where it is is a quote I heard to describe great technologists.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #487
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
skate to where puck will be, not where it is is a quote I heard to describe great technologists.
Well, as great technologists as they have in Canada, anyway.

Continuing the metaphor, anticipating where the puck will be is OK, but hitting the puck into the goal is better.

In other wards, anticipating the next bandwagon is better than trying to jump on late to the current one, but seeing a real need or a better approach and directing things there is best.
Amazon and Apple have both done this more than once, and I'm disappointed that Amazon didn't see page turn buttons as the better approach.

Maybe history will prove them right, or maybe B&N's next offering will have an equally good light system, and keep the page buttons, and blow the Paperwhite's doors off in sales.....

Last edited by ApK; 09-07-2012 at 05:13 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #488
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I want page turn buttons. That is all
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #489
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Not yet. The weekend will be my wear him down time. During the week he's so occupied with work and school. Weekends it's just school so I be able to talk his ear off with no escape. Back up plan is there is always my mama who loves me! That will irk him to no end to give in.
At least you're not going thermonuclear on him and dragging him off on a 6 hour mall hunt. (Cruel and unusual was invented for that.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #490
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
A user contacted Amazon. It looks is confirmed, it does support landscape mode...

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...x2N8BRU88OO9EA
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #491
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Cnet says amazon confirms all fires have ads and no opt out

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3126_7-...tuck-with-ads/

Wow. If I pay $500+ for a tablet I sure as heck don't want to put up with ads.

I am almost certain they will revert on this. I think it's a marketing trick. Get people all riled up about it, then say all right all right we hear you, you can opt out. Get another $30 out of people and make them feel like they won something. Freaking evil genius.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #492
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Cnet says amazon confirms all fires have ads and no opt out

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3126_7-...tuck-with-ads/

Wow. If I pay $500+ for a tablet I sure as heck don't want to put up with ads.

I am almost certain they will revert on this. I think it's a marketing trick. Get people all riled up about it, then say all right all right we hear you, you can opt out. Get another $30 out of people and make them feel like they won something. Freaking evil genius.
You can opt out for $15
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #493
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You can opt out for $15
Wonder why it's $20 for the eink devices?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote