Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #46
ebookof
Enthusiast
ebookof began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
That is correct. Porting the ROM is made trickier because of those partitions too. It is unstable so I need to work things out and see where it goes wrong.

For the Kindle app, I will do some testing this weekend and will come back with results. I think this will be a simple fix.
Just to close the loop, I had firmware 2.0.6 (although I had to upgrade from a previous version) and I did not have 300Mb for applications. Not sure why, but I was only able to install a few applications and then my memory was full. This is the main reason I rooted my device.

Thanks for following up on the Kindle app.
ebookof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 AM   #47
pippopelo
Connoisseur
pippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 4th, Paperwhite 5th, Paperwhite 10th
Yes, 50mb approx + 300mb, but not all apps go to 300mb space, for me is necessary Link2sd to install all my favorite apps, otherwise after few application space is full. I have buyed Mantano (pdf best reader for me) it takes almost 22 mb in total...
pippopelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 03:45 AM   #48
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Sorry for asking stupid questions, but why do you have to keep those partitions? Would't it be easier to format the internal Memory (MicroSD card AFAIR)?
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #49
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
That is correct. Porting the ROM is made trickier because of those partitions too. It is unstable so I need to work things out and see where it goes wrong.
Unstable is right.
The newer versions (2.1+) of the PB firmware have shown the occasional tendency to corrupt the extra partitions and leave the system to report a "blank SD Card" at boot up, requiring a total reinstall.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #50
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Unstable is right.
The newer versions (2.1+) of the PB firmware have shown the occasional tendency to corrupt the extra partitions and leave the system to report a "blank SD Card" at boot up, requiring a total reinstall.
Tell me about that... I got tired of 2.12 so that is why I have decided to port the SH ROM. For the partitions, I plan to remove the PB_DATA on and leave the User_data. Using symbolic links, I think we could do something good with it. 380 mb of space is not bad! (it is on the internal SDCard btw).
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #51
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Tell me about that... I got tired of 2.12 so that is why I have decided to port the SH ROM.
An aside: do you know of a Windows-based utility that can restore the memory card to a single fat32 partition?
I'm trying to go back to 2.04 until and if the SH ROM stabilizes.
(Not looking to rush you. Just looking for a reccomendation to tide me over.)
Old 12-18-2011, 03:32 AM   #52
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
An aside: do you know of a Windows-based utility that can restore the memory card to a single fat32 partition?
I'm trying to go back to 2.04 until and if the SH ROM stabilizes.
(Not looking to rush you. Just looking for a reccomendation to tide me over.)
Mini Tool Partition Wizard
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #53
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
It works for SD cards, then?
Thanks.
I wasn't sure about that one.
Highly recommended, too.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #54
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Good suggestion.

I think I have found a solution. Obviously, mounting the internal card in the init.rc makes it unstable but I was able to make a2sd work with SH so I think this will be a much better option.

I have to make a few more modifications to the ramdisk so I should have something ready soon.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #55
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I had to go back to the official firmware because the battery drain was unworkable, and I could not get WiFi connection no matter what, but I will be following the thread and try the firmware once these two issues are resolved. It's great of you to do this, and I'm very interested in seeing the final result once it's posted.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #56
Icewyng
Addict

Let's say the more I play around, the more stuff I discover...

I am wondering If I just just straight up port the ROM or just merge parts of it to improve on the PB one. Testing both ways to see what would be better.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #57
macnutzer
Enthusiast
macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.

Device: none
Quote:
Let's say the more I play around, the more stuff I discover...

I am wondering If I just just straight up port the ROM or just merge parts of it to improve on the PB one. Testing both ways to see what would be better.
on the PB Rom the battery drain ist solved.
the SH Rom is faster.
->good Idea
macnutzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #58
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnutzer View Post
on the PB Rom the battery drain ist solved.
the SH Rom is faster.
->good Idea
also, the SH rom solves the need to swap the Framework for the Market ID.

I am starting to really wrap my head around the ROMs and how they are setup. I see that in 2.0.6, the A2SD is integrated in the ROM so that is why there is no need for it. Also, I can swap icons for the various things in the ROM. I think I could also switch the theme too.

Any apps that is a keeper for anyone? (from the PB and SH ROM)?

I will take a look at the Cruz Reader as well and see if it can bring something to the table.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #59
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

If running the PB Reader app on the SH ROM gets the TTS and dics working properly it might be worth transplanting. Not sure about the newer library app.
Pretty much everything else is generic, no?
Mostly, I'd suggest stripping out anything phone or camera related.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #60
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
If running the PB Reader app on the SH ROM gets the TTS and dics working properly it might be worth transplanting. Not sure about the newer library app.
Pretty much everything else is generic, no?
Mostly, I'd suggest stripping out anything phone or camera related.
I wanted to remove Telephony related services anyway. It would increase the battery life. I will see what I can do with the Camera services.

I know the PB Reader seems to have issues on the 2.1.2 ROM. I think I will just forget about the 2.1.2 ROM for now and look at the 2.0.6 or 2.1.1 ones. I am looking at other S3C6410-based devices to find ideas and inspiration.