Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
Unfortunately, the SD card problem still exists. Only the books stored on my SD card appear on the homepage.
I believe they are planning that this will be addressed in the next update. I know they are aware of the issue.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
The 1.9.8 update went fine for me (I skipped 1.9.7). No new font problems in the sideloaded book I'm currently reading (although it remains impossible to adjust the margins or line spacing). Seems to have fixed the problem with the KT powering on by itself at the sleep timer delay after powering off.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
actiss
actiss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Okay, I just found a strange bug with 1.9.8 involving footnotes/hyperlinks in sideloaded ePubs. When you press the link it appears that nothing happens, but when you turn the page forwards or backwards it takes you to the next or previous page from the one that you linked to.

In other words, the KT still jumps to the page that you clicked on, however it's almost as if it "forgets" to display the new page and still shows the old page that you were on. Tried it on two sideloaded ePubs and the results are the same.

Here's a simple example:
* On page 42, I press a footnote link that is supposed to take me to page 26.
* KT still displays page 42.
* When I swipe to go forward to the net page, it goes to page 27.

EDIT: After messing around with it some more, it appears that it is more than simply displaying the previous page. When you follow the footnote link, the BACK option does not work. It keeps you on the same page, and unlike following the original link, moving back and forth between pages doesn't correct it.

In addition, once you click BACK, next time you open the menu it changes back to HOME. This essentially destroys footnote functionality, as once you follow a link you cannot get back easily to your original place.

I can't say whether this bug was in 1.9.7 or not, but I can say for sure that it wasn't in 1.9.6. This is a huge bummer for me, as I use footnotes for quite a few of my books.

Last edited by actiss; 07-27-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: More info
actiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #19
unaj41
Enthusiast
unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by corewin View Post
hey guys i think i may have found a bug. every time i look up a word in the dictionary it seems to show the code along with it. i tried it in my own converted epub, and with a kepub that came with the kobo out of the box.

software version 1.9.8 (r30710, Jul 27 2011)
I can confirm this bug - I have the same issue ...
unaj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #20
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Can someone double check this for me please?

The Go button in the web browser is not working after entering a web address.

Thanks

Edit: it works. Looks like it needed http//: before the address.

Sorry about that

Last edited by Atilla; 07-27-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Well, the first address I tried worked but the next two attempts did not work. i.e. I was left at the first address.

ETA: I think I have determined what my bug is. If you try to clear a previous URL by tapping the X at the right part of the URL box, the box is cleared and a new URL can be entered but when the Go key is tapped the address does not change.

Alright, it looks like the key factor is that http:// must be part of the url.

Last edited by Joe563; 07-27-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: More info.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #22
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
I get the big cover on sleep -- nice job!

I still have to double-touch (or more) the screen periodically to turn the page. Perhaps it's happening less often.

I'm finding when I take my KT out of sleep with this release, a few pages will rapidly turn in some books, or the device will close the book and return to the Shortlist or Books screen. Is it registering some phantom touches?

I do notice the the Home screen seems to be once again tracking my five most recent books, something it stopped doing in 1.9.6. Again, thank you, Kobo devs.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #23
Dimwit
Connoisseur
Dimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo
I have noticed on the KT is that my thumb seems to work better than my forefinger most times. I don't know why that is but a gentle touch is all I usually need.
Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #24
readingglasses
Zealot
readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.

Device: (prospective) kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Wowzee, that's awful. It would be nice if it defaulted to prefixing http:// unless specified otherwise (or not, if doesn't support anything but http). I call nuissance.

As to this cosmetic update: totally unsatisfactory. I can see the charm, for sure, like "putting down a paperback" and the cover still shows. But there should be an option to put your own choice (or some default neutral) of cover, so you aren't forced to reveal what you're reading. And the device should lock with a password.
What if I'm reading an adult book and I don't want my kids to pick it up and start reading? One of the advantages of an ereader that locks is that I don't have to put it away.
What if I'm a kid, reading an embarrassing romance and I don't want my sister to find out and mock me mercilessly? Locking would be nice, so I don't get called "gay" by some stupid sibling and their gang.
What if I'm reading a report for business on the train and it's confidential and the device slips out of my pocket? It would be nice if the drive could be encrypted so that I haven't embarrassed the company when someone else picks it up and powers on or plugs it in by usb.
Maybe this belongs in firmware requests but I thought this kind of update was pretty useless. Not that kobo isn't great about continued development.
readingglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #25
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingglasses View Post
Wowzee, that's awful. It would be nice if it defaulted to prefixing http:// unless specified otherwise (or not, if doesn't support anything but http). I call nuissance.

As to this cosmetic update: totally unsatisfactory. I can see the charm, for sure, like "putting down a paperback" and the cover still shows. But there should be an option to put your own choice (or some default neutral) of cover, so you aren't forced to reveal what you're reading. And the device should lock with a password.
What if I'm reading an adult book and I don't want my kids to pick it up and start reading? One of the advantages of an ereader that locks is that I don't have to put it away.
What if I'm a kid, reading an embarrassing romance and I don't want my sister to find out and mock me mercilessly? Locking would be nice, so I don't get called "gay" by some stupid sibling and their gang.
What if I'm reading a report for business on the train and it's confidential and the device slips out of my pocket? It would be nice if the drive could be encrypted so that I haven't embarrassed the company when someone else picks it up and powers on or plugs it in by usb.
Maybe this belongs in firmware requests but I thought this kind of update was pretty useless. Not that kobo isn't great about continued development.
You have the option under settings to not show the book cover.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #26
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Well, the first address I tried worked but the next two attempts did not work. i.e. I was left at the first address.

ETA: I think I have determined what my bug is. If you try to clear a previous URL by tapping the X at the right part of the URL box, the box is cleared and a new URL can be entered but when the Go key is tapped the address does not change.

Thanks for checking Joe
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #27
readingglasses
Zealot
readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.

Device: (prospective) kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
You have the option under settings to not show the book cover.
Thank god at least for that.

Did anyone else realize yet that there's only one more update before they release either the procrastinating 1.9.9.1 or else 2.0 ?

And it's almost August (it's great summer is ending, such happiness), when the german kobo device is supposedly to be released. I think we'll see 2.0 as the german enabled update for everyone and get our first taste of international kobo.

Last edited by readingglasses; 07-27-2011 at 10:53 PM.
readingglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #28
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
And it's almost August (it's great summer is ending, such happiness), when the german kobo device is supposedly to be released. I think we'll see 2.0 as the german enabled update for everyone and get our first taste of international kobo.
I'm loving having the ability to display Asian characters. It's like having really good icing on an already good cake.

Stability improvements are important. I'm still a little worried about larger books. Because of the loading, I've noticed that while I read, the Touch doesn't respond anywhere near as well as with a short novel. I'm not quite sure what the cause of this is though, it could be anything from the file size being too large, to something funky in the kepub files since I doubt publishers build the books perfectly to standard.

Anyways, thanks again dev team.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #29
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Thank god at least for that.

Did anyone else realize yet that there's only one more update before they release either the procrastinating 1.9.9.1 or else 2.0 ?

We could see 1.9.10 or 1.9.93 even! Nothing says it's a single digit revision number :P
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #30
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Deleted, sorry. (Issue addressed in another thread).

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 07-28-2011 at 08:35 PM.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote