Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #16
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Have you ever tried the M-edge e-Luminator? It's my favorite of all the external lights.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
I'm not crazy about the light on my Kindle's lighted case either. It uses three leds, but they're all together beside each other. It just doesn't light the whole screen good enough. The bottom doesn't get enough light. I'm convinced that the only way to do this right it to have four leds, one in each corner of the reader. They would probably have to be built into some kind of case/holder.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #18
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
I think it sad that no one has seen fit to improve upon the PRS-700, now defunct. I did have one, and with its built-in light, I never had any problem reading anywhere in any lighting conditions - and nothing extra to carry around!
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #19
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Is there a good rechargeable booklight that I can clip onto the Nook itself without needing a case?
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #20
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Nice. An alternative to the mightybright travelflex.
That's my favorite book light. I think MightyBright's do a great job of diffusing the bright light evenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
I think it sad that no one has seen fit to improve upon the PRS-700, now defunct. I did have one, and with its built-in light, I never had any problem reading anywhere in any lighting conditions - and nothing extra to carry around!
Amen to that! Of all the readers that I've bought, it has been my most used eink device.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #21
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

If the photo on the following link is anything to judge by, I'd have to say that the PRS-700 with its leds under-the-hood is no better than Kindle's lighted cover, and that neither are good enough.

Sony PRS-700
Old 07-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #22
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
If the photo on the following link is anything to judge by, I'd have to say that the PRS-700 with its leds under-the-hood is no better than Kindle's lighted cover, and that neither are good enough.

Sony PRS-700
I don't have a lighted cover on my Kindle, but I have used my 700 more than any of the other 5 eink readers I've used, mainly because of the built in illumination. I don't think it photographs well. I've never been able to get a good interpretation of my ereader vs. how it feels in actual use. Plus, although it has LED's, the lit page looks like a warm light. I prefer it over my MightyBrights for color temp. I think it's because when the reader is off, the screen is so dim that it's really is a bad choice for daytime reading, but for reading in the dark, or low light conditions, it's one of the best.

I wouldn't recommend it as your only reader unless you read almost always at night.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #23
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
I wonder if a similar technology could be used on the new IR touch screens? If it didn't degrade the screen quality I would be interested in an new Sony model featuring the built in light.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #24
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
I think one's opinion of the 700 depends on what you are coming from. When I bought it, it was the replacement for an eBookwise 1150 - and it was the greatest thing since sliced bread - SO much better and clearer than the 1150 and lit besides.
However, putting it up next to a PRS-650 or a Kobo - well, it seemed dark and blurry in comparison, and I only used it for low-light reading - and then needed money and had to sell something, so I decided the 650 was the keeper. Still not sure that was the right decision.
I've seen the lights in the covers - they seem to facilitate glare.
If some one did come up with a lit eink replacement, I would surely save up my pennies for it. I loved that 700.
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #25
Ransom
Banned

I think what they did with the 700 was nearly correct and a step in the right direction, but I believe the light(s) need to get up in the air a tad above the screen for it to work well. I really think that a single led in each corner of a case, similar to the kindle case, could work.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #26
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I wonder if a similar technology could be used on the new IR touch screens? If it didn't degrade the screen quality I would be interested in an new Sony model featuring the built in light.
I don't see why not. I bought the 600 a couple of months after I bought the 700 and to me, the screen clarity was similar. If you take that weird, opalescence on the touchscreen surface of the 600 and add reflective clear glass, you get the 700. I would assume that if you took a 650 and put lit glass over it, when it's off, you will have reflections like you would off of any clear glass surface, but the writing would still be clear.