Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
mmread
Enthusiast
mmread has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Amazon ebook to Libre

I figured out how to download Borders and B&N books to the Libre. I see a free Amazon book that I would like to download. I can download to my Windows PC. Can I download from my PC to the Libre? Will it be the same instructions using a similar ADE software? I have not downloaded any apps from Amazon to my PC, yet. I first wanted to ask here before I venture down this road. I was told that Amazon ebooks can only be downloaded onto a Kindle but as I see in their website I am surprised that they have apps to download to other devices.
mmread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Yes, I download from my PC to my Libre all of the time, but you need to use Adobe Digital Editions.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
My understanding is that the only way to get books from Amazon is to download Kindle for PC, then strip the DRM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It depends on the version number of the Adobe Reader Mobile that is included in the
Libre Firmware. The current version 9.1.1 that is included in the 0.16e firmware on the
JBL (and I think it's in the 35m version for the Jetbook) will handle B&N DRM with no
problem. (Just remember no spaces in the unlock data.) If your Libre can handle the DRM,
you don't need to use ADE, at all. Just put the .epub on your SD card or in the device's
memory. Then when you open the file, on your libre, to read it, you will be asked for the
unlocking data (your name and CC number) after that any such ebooks purchased with
the same CC (having the same unlock data) will open without asking for the unlock data
again.

To my way of thinking, leaving the B&N DRM on an eBook file would be an Ignoble act.
Not removing the DRM from a Kindle for PC ebook could be considered inept.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
AFAIK you need "kindle for pc" to get free books from Amazon to your pc. There are ways of removing drm from the kindle books but it is very unpredicable. I would recommend that you look for your book else where or readit on your pc. The alp can read prc as well as mobi as long as they are drm free. If successful in removing kindle's drm from the prc/mobi ebook you can then just copy it to your alp to be able to read it.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 01-02-2011 at 10:59 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 02:50 AM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Sorry, I must have gotten the wrong idea, I thought it was being said that you needed
to use ADE to be able to read the B&N DRM ebooks.

Yes Amazon has made it so you need to use one of their programs/apps to buy and
acquire the files that they sell (or provide "free"). The ADE proponents have added a
little additional twist in that direction by selling you a file that lets ADE download the
real infected book file, from someone's server.

Once you have access to the actual files containing the books you have purchased
you are in a position to remove the DRM, the procedures for which are available on
the internet.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
AFAIK you need "kindle for pc" to get free books from Amazon to your pc. There are ways of removing drm from the kindle books but it is very unpredicable. I would recommend that you look for your book else where or readit on your pc. The alp can read prc as well as mobi as long as they are drm free. If successful in removing kindle's drm from the prc/mobi ebook you can then just copy it to your alp to be able to read it.
You need to go back to the previous version of Kindle for PC for the unswindle tools to work, and then go to the Kindle for PC settings to disable automatic updates. Amazon's Topaz files require another set of tools.

Most Amazon freebies turn up at BN or Sony in epub format within a day or two, making all this processing unnecessary.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote