Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Serious cryptozoology (the study of hidden animals) has been a hobby of mine since I was a kid. I found an old battered copy of "On The Track of the Sasquatch" by John Green at a second hand store, or a garage sale. I've been hooked ever since. One of my most prized possessions is an 1959 edition of "On The Trail Of Unknown Animals" by Bernard Heuvelmans, which is widely (and by widely, I mean widely in the cryptozoology scene) regarded as the baseline to which all other books of its type are judged.

If you'd like to try some serious non fiction, I recommend the following books (available in ebook format)

-Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science by Dr. Jeff Meldrum
-Bigfoot!: The True Story of Apes in America by Loren Coleman.

Made me chuckle, the Six Million Dollar Man was a bit before my time, but I remember the Sasquatch episode of MacGyver quite well...
I remember the Six Million Dollar Man. I also remember a movie about the Sasquatch playing in my local theater back in the 70's though I don't recall the title of the movie itself. Around that time they also had a movie out about Near Death experiences and one about Noah's Ark as I recall. The 70's were an odd era for non-fiction movies.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I remember the Six Million Dollar Man. I also remember a movie about the Sasquatch playing in my local theater back in the 70's though I don't recall the title of the movie itself. Around that time they also had a movie out about Near Death experiences and one about Noah's Ark as I recall. The 70's were an odd era for non-fiction movies.
Hey, I remember watching "In Search of Noah's Ark" on the family's first VHS VCR. I haven't thought about that one in years!

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 02-12-2013 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Typo
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #18
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Bigfoot short stories by Jim Butcher

There are 3 short stories featuring Bigfoot and they are set in the Dresdenverse between various Dresden Files novels, and featured in three different Short story collections.

"B is for Bigfoot" by Jim Butcher in Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
"I Was A Teenage Bigfoot" by Jim Butcher in Blood Lite 3: Aftertaste
"Bigfoot on Campus" by Jim Butcher in Hex Appeal

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #19
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I remember the Six Million Dollar Man. I also remember a movie about the Sasquatch playing in my local theater back in the 70's...
How about Bigfoot and Wildboy from the Saturday morning "Power Hour" series.

I, too, spent some time looking for decent Bigfoot/Sasquatch "fiction" to read and really had no luck. Either the author really was not taking the material seriously or the author was looking for an angle such as making the creature a product of government genetic research, etc., and not really using any of the Bigfoot lore as their starting point.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
steven522
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
There are 3 short stories featuring Bigfoot and they are set in the Dresdenverse...
If you are familiar with Dresden, these are very good reads.

I wish Butcher would give us a side-novel that delved into his take on Bigfoot. The focus on the actual Sasquatch character is tasty but not filling enough.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #21
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
How about Bigfoot and Wildboy from the Saturday morning "Power Hour" series.
I used to watch that! What a trip down memory lane!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
There are 3 short stories featuring Bigfoot and they are set in the Dresdenverse between various Dresden Files novels, and featured in three different Short story collections.

"B is for Bigfoot" by Jim Butcher in Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
"I Was A Teenage Bigfoot" by Jim Butcher in Blood Lite 3: Aftertaste
"Bigfoot on Campus" by Jim Butcher in Hex Appeal

Is that the reading order and between which novels do they fall?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #23
steven522

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is that the reading order and between which novels do they fall?
That is the reading order, and they only actually touch on the novels in one place having to do with the white court vampires and their feeding habits so you could probably read through them without encountering anything you need to know from the novels.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #24
steven522

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
I used to watch that! What a trip down memory lane!
Imagine my surprise the first time my wife turned the TV over to Days of our Lives and I went, "Hey, Electrowoman."
Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Imagine my surprise the first time my wife turned the TV over to Days of our Lives and I went, "Hey, Electrowoman."
I am shocked! You actually admitted to having watched that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
steven522

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am shocked! You actually admitted to having watched that.
Oh, I watched them all.

Along with what has been mentioned so far, I remember watching Land of the Lost, Shazam, Isis, and Jason of Star Command.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #27
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Oh, I watched them all.

Along with what has been mentioned so far, I remember watching Land of the Lost, Shazam, Isis, and Jason of Star Command.
I watched those, too. I actually bought an episode of Jason of Star Command from iTunes. It was just like I remembered it. The best character on the whole show was the villain, played by Sid Haig. I missed out on Sid Haig becoming a cult horror movie icon, so when I saw him in a cast list for a horror movie a few years ago, my first thought was "Oh, cool! The bad guy from Jason of Star Command!"

Gee, I wonder if iTune has Shazam and Isis?...
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #28
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Oh, I watched them all.

Along with what has been mentioned so far, I remember watching Land of the Lost.
Wow, I loved the original series. I remember they did a reboot years ago, but it never had the same feeling to it. I remember the Sleestack lizard men scared the hell outta me when I was a kidling.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote