Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #31
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Sorry Jessica. I was just being a smart ass. I apologize if I came off as condescending.

The good thing about the nook, for our DRM friendly friends, is that it reads just about any ePub. The bad news for those of us anti-DRM, is that the B&N DRM only seems to work on the nook. :/
Not true actually. The Jetbook line supports it, as does the Pandigital Novel readers (and of course the apps available for smartphones and iPads and computers). From what I understand, they will license the DRM scheme fairly readily, but currently Sony, Amazon and Kobo have seen little reason to give owners of their devices a reason to shop at B&N .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #32
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharan View Post
that's not true. Once you remove drm, time limit no longer applies & your can keep your copy forever.
When you use kindlefix, it does not remove the drm.......just lets the kindle read the book.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #33
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
Ugh. That's not what I meant at all. But whatever. I honestly had no idea so many people that don't own nooks read the nook forum. Its not like I ran over to the kindle section spouting off about the fact that I'm glad I chose the nook over the kindle. Note that I'm only comparing to the kindle because when I did my research before I purchased, the kindle and nook were my top 2 choices, but the ability to read epub factored a lot into my own personal choice of the nook.
I was wondering a lot more about people shopping habits then wanting to get into a nook vs. kindle epub vs. mobi discussion. Perhaps it was unwise of me to even mention the kindle.

Tis tru. Never mention the Kindle unless you give it Praise and Worship. It is you know the root of World Peace and cures diseases. So bite your tongue next time unless you sing the kindles Praises and adore it

But to answer your OP, I would say I shop about 60% through BN's ebooks, for simple ease and plus the cover flow and of course the whole wireless downloading is just fantastic.
But I do like to shop around. I like Kobo's bookstore and Fictionwise. My wife is almost exclusive fictionwise.

I'm starting to pay more attention to Border's and Sony, Just to see if they are running any specials.

I do like me Deals and like you I like the fact there are no extra hoops to jump through. Ooops sorrry, KINDLE IS GOOD, KINDLE IS GREAT THE KINDLE IS GOOD THE KINDLE IS GREAT.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #34
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
When you use kindlefix, it does not remove the drm.......just lets the kindle read the book.

kindlefix isn't used to remove DRM? news to me
Old 09-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #35
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Tis tru. Never mention the Kindle unless you give it Praise and Worship. It is you know the root of World Peace and cures diseases. So bite your tongue next time unless you sing the kindles Praises and adore it

But to answer your OP, I would say I shop about 60% through BN's ebooks, for simple ease and plus the cover flow and of course the whole wireless downloading is just fantastic.
But I do like to shop around. I like Kobo's bookstore and Fictionwise. My wife is almost exclusive fictionwise.

I'm starting to pay more attention to Border's and Sony, Just to see if they are running any specials.

I do like me Deals and like you I like the fact there are no extra hoops to jump through. Ooops sorrry, KINDLE IS GOOD, KINDLE IS GREAT THE KINDLE IS GOOD THE KINDLE IS GREAT.
the Kindle might solve world hunger but it makes a crappy cup of tea. (sighs) Other then that I am very happy with my DXG. (winks)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #36
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
the Kindle might solve world hunger but it makes a crappy cup of tea. (sighs) Other then that I am very happy with my DXG. (winks)
my Nook still hasn't figured out how to make a good cup of coffee either. Maybe it's time for the Keurig for him
Old 09-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #37
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
my Nook still hasn't figured out how to make a good cup of coffee either. Maybe it's time for the Keurig for him

When will Amazon and B&N learn that we want a device that allows to read and be properly caffienated? Maybe that will be Nook 3 or K4. Clearly said feature is mor eimportant then a color screen.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #38
boswd
Banned

Quote:
When will Amazon and B&N learn that we want a device that allows to read and be properly caffienated? Maybe that will be Nook 3 or K4. Clearly said feature is mor eimportant then a color screen.

Now we're talkin

http://www.business-strategy-innovat...cks-726317.jpg

http://rlv.zcache.com/kiss_my_kindle...02lnt7_400.jpg

Last edited by boswd; 09-08-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #39
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

hmmm Teavana is a sponsor of Kindle Boards (I started the tea thread over there, it is kind of massive). So I know that they would be interested in working with B&N and Amazon in on this little project.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #40
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
You can also shop at U.K. bookstores like Waterstone's. There are several books I've bought from them that are not available in the U.S. Prices are competitive with U.S. stores - sometimes even better - even when taking into account the exchange premium charged by some credit cards.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #41
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
You can also shop at U.K. bookstores like Waterstone's. There are several books I've bought from them that are not available in the U.S. Prices are competitive with U.S. stores - sometimes even better - even when taking into account the exchange premium charged by some credit cards.
very cool thanks for the tip
Old 09-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #42
boswd
Banned

Quote:
hmmm Teavana is a sponsor of Kindle Boards (I started the tea thread over there, it is kind of massive). So I know that they would be interested in working with B&N and Amazon in on this little project.
ahhh Teavana, I love that store, Love shopping for tea there I almost feel like I'm in Amsterdam

Last edited by boswd; 09-08-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #43
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Quote:
I will keep this in mind for the future.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #44
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Tis tru. Never mention the Kindle unless you give it Praise and Worship. It is, you know, the root of World Peace and cures diseases. So bite your tongue next time unless you sing the kindles Praises and adore it
But you forgot to mention that in order to cure diseases, it must be used as a suppository. This works quite well for many Kindle owners because its difficult to read when your ereader and your head are in different places.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #45
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I just skimmed over this thread and didn't see anything about the fact that there are several sources for Amazon Kindle without stripping DRM or converting. Who started the widespread rumor that Kindle owners are restricted to the Amazon store (which happens to be the largest ebook store).

The only advantage of the Nook or other epub readers over Kindle is for public library ebooks. I have a Cybook Opus for that purpose. At the time I bought it, the Nook was more expensive than the Cybook, which is not the case now.

I realize that some Nook sellers have spread the rumor that Amazon locks its readers into its store, but that is simply not true.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote