Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
MobileRead mobile site gets an update

Hey everyone -

We've rolled out an improved version of our mobile website. In addition to some enhancements to the interface, the update adds a few new features you can now use on the go.

Additions include the possibility to customize various settings (you need to be logged-in to do that), as well as the automatic redirection from our non-mobile site if you are browsing from a mobile device, the ability to subscribe to individual threads, to e-mail thread links to a friend, and to search within a thread.

Settings that can be customized currently include:
  • hide/show smilies
  • hide/show quotes
  • resize/hide frontpage news images
  • convert images in posts to links
  • enable/disable the redirection of external links to a mobile transcoder
  • increase/decrease the number of threads/posts displayed on a page

Not included yet is an iPhone-specific version (which we'd like to add at some point in the future though).

I hope that with these changes, it will be even easier to access your favorite e-book community with your mobile. As usual please don't be shy to post your feedback and suggestions for improvement here.

Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
alex, you should really stop this. i can't justify getting internet access for my phone but you make me want to.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Help! My desktop insists on using the mobile version. Won't switch back. Can't view avatars or included pics! I type in .com but it switches to .mobi. I'm stranded in teeny tiny land!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Help! My desktop insists on using the mobile version. Won't switch back. Can't view avatars or included pics! I type in .com but it switches to .mobi. I'm stranded in teeny tiny land!
OUCH! Please use this link to switch back:

https://www.mobileread.com/?noredirect=1

The redirection routine needs more fine-tuning... it's a tad bit too aggressive me thinks.... better to turn that feature off until it's sanitized.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
alex, you should really stop this. i can't justify getting internet access for my phone but you make me want to.
Sniff. Mobile internet is so ridiculously expensive here in Switzerland as well. At least my Blackberry got WiFi; so whenever I can use a hotspot, I can save the costs.
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Guess you turned it off before I could try your suggestion. Desktop works fine now -- thanks!!
I *do* like the tiny version though, so thanks for providing it.

P.S. I couldn't send a help msg from desktop either -- cuz I couldn't see the "random question" that it apparently asked. So I went to my iPhone and used the tiny version to send the above reply.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 01-08-2009 at 02:48 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I get internet access included in my phone contract

I might have to make use of it...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Excellent work on the customizable settings!

Alex, do you know Wurfl? It's a framework you can use to properly detect mobile devices.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Sniff. Mobile internet is so ridiculously expensive here in Switzerland as well. At least my Blackberry got WiFi; so whenever I can use a hotspot, I can save the costs.
hmm... me wonders if there is any possible way i could justify getting a phone with wifi, as an alternative... (not that i need that either, i spend my whole life at my desk. with a computer. with broadband. )
Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
hmm... me wonders if there is any possible way i could justify getting a phone with wifi, as an alternative... (not that i need that either, i spend my whole life at my desk. with a computer. with broadband. )
But if you do venture out into a cafe that happens to have wifi...
Old 01-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
But if you do venture out into a cafe that happens to have wifi...
yes, exactly my point !! far from internet, how can i possibly survive ???? whereas if i just had a telephone with wifi, i need never be unconneted again, not even for 5 minutes.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
yes, exactly my point !! far from internet, how can i possibly survive ???? whereas if i just had a telephone with wifi, i need never be unconneted again, not even for 5 minutes.
And you were wondering if you could justify it? :shakeshead:

Old 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
My Ipod Touch has WiFI. That's a great gadget. BTW. We do have a mobile Internet flatrate costing 15 Euro here in Luxembourg. Wanna move, anyone? I use that with my Aspire One and USB modem while at work. It's rather fast, too, around 4,5 mb/s.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
My Ipod Touch has WiFI. That's a great gadget. BTW. We do have a mobile Internet flatrate costing 15 Euro here in Luxembourg. Wanna move, anyone? I use that with my Aspire One and USB modem while at work. It's rather fast, too, around 4,5 mb/s.
WiFi hot spots at most places here like cafe's book stores etc is pretty much free.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
WiFi hot spots at most places here like cafe's book stores etc is pretty much free.

BOb
yes, here too, if you have a gadget that can connect to it.