Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #16
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
A lot of talented people have their demons.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #17
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
There is an affectionate portrayal of Ellison in Asimov's mystery "Murder at the ABA", where he appears as Darius Just. The character and the author argue with each other in amusing footnotes. Not a brilliant detective novel, but definitely interesting, specially because of the Ellison connection. And undoubtedly a softer version of Ellison than the reality.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #18
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I have been reading The Top of the Volcano a collection of award-winning stories including Hugo, Nebula, Locus, and Edgar awards. He was also a great audiobook narrator, especially of his own stuff.

Coode Street Podcast-Episode 218: Harlan Ellison, Bill Schafer and the Volcano:

http://www.jonathanstrahan.com.au/wp...the-volcano-2/
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #19
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I saw the OL episode Soldier that Terminator was supposedly drawn from. The sole similarity is a soldier comes back from the future to do a mission. I'm not sure that that merits a law suit. I found the OT episode was actually rather bland. Apparently Ellison also claimed Terminator was based on Demon. Of course, Cameroon is also famously difficult.
Lawsuit probably wouldn't have happened if word hadn't gotten back to Ellison that Cameron was telling people that's where he got his ideas.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #20
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hey! There's a Kindle version of Night and the Enemy!

I like to imagine Ellison's ghost suing Clarke's ghost in the afterlife.

The Ellison story is called Life Hutch. I wonder what Clarke story you're thinking of? Could it be A Walk In The Dark, where an astronaut walks across a barren planet as night falls and can't help but imagine he's being followed?
I think I got mixed up. And I have no Mouth is very dark, but very good. I dunno. I seem to like happy stories these days. Perhaps it's a compensatory thing, lol.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #21
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post

Christopher Priest's (another cranky, talented writer) The Book on the Edge of Forever is a hilarious recounting of Ellison's sitting on a vast anthology worth's of other people's stories for Strange Visions 3. I wonder if it will get released now.
I think around 30 of the stories were eventually published in various other places.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote