Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
tamborine
Connoisseur
tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One, Kindle Fire HD
Where to get US or UK books translated into Ukrainian?

Does such a thing even exist? I'm talking about relatively current novels and popular non-fiction. When I googled, all I could find was one online shop that had children's books. They had the first couple of Harry Potters, and a few old classics like Huckleberry Finn.

The reason I ask is I have a friend who came here (NJ) from Ukraine 15 years ago. She speaks and reads English well enough to get along, but I imagine reading would be much more enjoyable in her native tongue. I love giving books to friends as gifts for various occasions, and sometimes just because I read it and loved it, and think they'd like it, too. I guess I could just ask my friend about all this, but I don't want to give away that I'd like to give her a book for Christmas.

I came upon a post on Vintage Book's site by Ukrainian author Andrey Kurkov from this past August, talking about bookstores & literature in Ukraine. He said there are hardly any bookstores (most books are bought at street markets or online), there are no reliable "bestseller" lists, and the only foreign books that have any popularity there are the Harry Potters. To top it all off, he doesn't even write in Ukrainian; he writes in Russian.

But that's there, and this is here! What about Americans (or anyone else) who want to read books in Ukrainian? Are they out of luck? Am I on a wild goose chase?
tamborine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamborine View Post
Does such a thing even exist? I'm talking about relatively current novels and popular non-fiction. When I googled, all I could find was one online shop that had children's books. They had the first couple of Harry Potters, and a few old classics like Huckleberry Finn.

The reason I ask is I have a friend who came here (NJ) from Ukraine 15 years ago. She speaks and reads English well enough to get along, but I imagine reading would be much more enjoyable in her native tongue. I love giving books to friends as gifts for various occasions, and sometimes just because I read it and loved it, and think they'd like it, too. I guess I could just ask my friend about all this, but I don't want to give away that I'd like to give her a book for Christmas.

I came upon a post on Vintage Book's site by Ukrainian author Andrey Kurkov from this past August, talking about bookstores & literature in Ukraine. He said there are hardly any bookstores (most books are bought at street markets or online), there are no reliable "bestseller" lists, and the only foreign books that have any popularity there are the Harry Potters. To top it all off, he doesn't even write in Ukrainian; he writes in Russian.

But that's there, and this is here! What about Americans (or anyone else) who want to read books in Ukrainian? Are they out of luck? Am I on a wild goose chase?
why not go directly for Ukranian books? I think on Bookland they should have plenty (it is the bookstore of Pocketbook, which is a Ukranian company - the English language site is pathetic, but the Russian/Ukranian one looks ok, it is bilingual Russina/Ukranian):
http://bookland.net.ua/
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
tamborine
Connoisseur
tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
why not go directly for Ukranian books? I think on Bookland they should have plenty (it is the bookstore of Pocketbook, which is a Ukranian company - the English language site is pathetic, but the Russian/Ukranian one looks ok, it is bilingual Russina/Ukranian):
http://bookland.net.ua/
Thanks, I'll check it out!
tamborine is offline   Reply With Quote