Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
finiderire
finiderire began at the beginning.

Device: Booken Cybook Orizon
Smile Rugged E-Book Reader

Hi,

I have been using a Bookeen Cybook Orizon for 4.5 years and it won't charge anymore because of desoldered micro-USB port... So here am I. My criterias:
-no micro-USB (I already lost a GPS and my current reader on this)
-no mini-USB (I already lost another GPS on this)
-a reader than can goes in summer heat and direct sunlight (40°C) as the current one had the e-ink screen turning slowly darker (until I would not be able to distinguish letters from the background) when under hot sunlight.

Thank you for your help

a+,=)
-=Finiderire=-
finiderire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
So you want an ereader with no USB and will work in 100°F + heat in direct sunlight?
I don't think that exists yet. Though I could see a need for such a device.

Might I venture a guess that you are either in the Middle East or the US Southwest?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Such a Reader does not exist and will not exist. eInk is not good at 100°F and you need a USB port to be able to connect the Reader to the computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Such a Reader does not exist and will not exist. eInk is not good at 100°F and you need a USB port to be able to connect the Reader to the computer.
Hey Jon,
My tablet didn't like 90 and sun.
I can't think of many electronic devices that like heat.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
finiderire
finiderire began at the beginning.

Device: Booken Cybook Orizon
Hi,

Thank you for your answers.

@Cinisajoy: I am in south of France and eletronic in cruise missiles is just fine with heat.

@JSWolf: I did not say "no USB". Regular USB would be fine for me, but maybe it does not exist.

a+, =)
-=Finiderire=-

P.S. I hope someday I'll be able to bring my e-book reader to the beach. Until then I guess I will have to print my books at work and bring the paper sheets to the beach.
Modern technology sometimes makes us go back in time...
finiderire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hey Jon,
I was thinking of an H2O. But it's no good in two ways. It has a micro-USB port and it won't work well in that kind of heat.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by finiderire View Post
Hi,

I have been using a Bookeen Cybook Orizon for 4.5 years and it won't charge anymore because of desoldered micro-USB port... So here am I. My criterias:
-a reader than can goes in summer heat and direct sunlight (40°C) as the current one had the e-ink screen turning slowly darker (until I would not be able to distinguish letters from the background) when under hot sunlight.

Thank you for your help

a+,=)
-=Finiderire=-
I have come up with the answer for your criteria. PAPER BOOKS! They don't have a USB port. They work in the heat, and they can be read in direct sunlight.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for your answers.

@Cinisajoy: I am in south of France and eletronic in cruise missiles is just fine with heat.

@JSWolf: I did not say "no USB". Regular USB would be fine for me, but maybe it does not exist.

a+, =)
-=Finiderire=-

P.S. I hope someday I'll be able to bring my e-book reader to the beach. Until then I guess I will have to print my books at work and bring the paper sheets to the beach.
Modern technology sometimes makes us go back in time...
Last time I looked, I do believe cruise missiles and the space shuttle are designed very differently from ereaders.
I do believe both of those have things called heat shields.
Hmmm, you just gave me an idea. Is weight and cost a factor?
Now as to the port, that I need to think about.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:08 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for your help

a+,=)
-=Finiderire=-
Without USB, how will you charge it?

And do you really sit reading in the sun, at that temperature?? Personally, I'd buy a H2O (or any other waterproof device), and never leave the shaded pool with temperatures like that. Or find a deep cave so I could stay cool...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:07 AM   #10
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Without USB, how will you charge it?
Inductive charging? Combined with, say, support for Calibre's wireless device, like tablets/Android readers can have with Calibre Companion and a Kobo can do if you install KoReader on it, you could do away with the USB port completely if you wanted.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:42 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
This only happened on a small number of devices that had a manufacturing flaw - they forgot to include an IR filter of something.

The vast majority of e-ink readers can be read under the hot noon sun for hours without turning dark. If your reader behaves otherwise, immediately make a warranty claim.

As for ruggedness, I do not think there are any really rugged e-ink readers. I personally use a sturdy case and so far all my readers survived for years. And wherever I go, my reader goes with me ;-). I have even used an e-ink reader in an Infra sauna ;-)

As for ruggedness of the charging port ...
You only need to charge your reader once a month. Even if it was every two weeks, you only need to connect it 50 times per year. I think that even flimsiest microUSB connector should survive several hundred uses, if you handle it carefully.
The last e-ink reader with a separate round charging port (that I am aware of) was Sony PRS500 - the very first 6" e-ink reader available for general public outside Japan. It even came with a charger with round connector.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:05 AM   #12
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for your help

a+,=)
-=Finiderire=-
Y ou should check the usb wire that you are using as it more likely that the problem is with the wire or the user than the devices if multiple devices are having the same hardware problem.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
PEOPLE are not good at 100% F......so why subject an ebook reader also to those extremes?
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
PEOPLE are not good at 100% F......so why subject an ebook reader also to those extremes?
Don, that is why we hide indoors.

As to the ereader,
Pelican case lined with heat shields, solar attached to the outside of the case and a sun visor around the front of the kindle.

Now if I could figure out how to protect humans from these triple digits I would be rich and comfortable.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #15
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hey Jon,
Anything milspec will work in the heat.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, microusb, reader, rugged, sunlight