Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-10-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
rndinit0
rndinit0 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Best E-Reader for Technical Books

I mainly read only two types of books.

Technical Books
Sci-Fiction

Im fine with the Sony Reader as far as price / vs hardware.

But none of the readers really cater to my need to read technical books.
Subjects Im most interested in at the moment is: Ruby on Rails, VMware ESX

Where would I be able to get rails ebooks for the e-reader that I might buy.
It might be of interest to know that I mainly use a Macbook Pro Leopard.

Bottom line which reader should I get? Where do I get the technical ebooks for it. (Mainly Ruby programming and other SysAdmin/Linux ebooks)
rndinit0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since most technical books of the type you want are PDF only, you might be well and tuly screwed as far as PDF goes. if they are PDF with DRM then no eink device will display them. if they are password protected, then the iLiad will work. The ilIad is currently the best one for PDF.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
rndinit0
rndinit0 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Well Kindle did have some DRM titles in the area of Ruby Programming. I dont mind buying DRM books. Just cant seem to locate a reliable source. Or am I still screwed?
rndinit0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: In under a month I will have had both Sonys and a Kindle
unfortunately mostly screwed.

I too read technical books (Web app development) and my library to date is in PDF form. You can review some of the threads in this section about PDFs to see what a headache they are. I also have a subscription to Safari Books (for the books I just need to reference, browse though) and even the Kindle's browser can't handle the page.

The Iliad seems to be the best option to handle PDFs natively and pull up Safari (although there is a font size problem with the browser). This looks to be the best options for anyone needing to read technical books on an e-ink display.

As such, I am getting a Sony reader ... because I am the king of logic!

Actually I just didn't like the size of the Iliad (and the price) enough to move that way, so all non tech books are going to be on the reader while all tech items (and safari) will be on the UMPC (probably a shift or the like).

Forgot to mention.. most of the libraries for both sony and amazon suck for tech books. I find the prices just aren't competitive enough to not get the book, or not get something with an LCD (Nokia internet tablet) and read the PDFs from there.
manchuia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchuia View Post
You can review some of the threads in this section about PDFs to see what a headache they are. I also have a subscription to Safari Books (for the books I just need to reference, browse though) and even the Kindle's browser can't handle the page.
Frankly, when I am reading technical books, I am usually at the computer and display it on my secondary monitor. However, if and when the Astak 9.7 inch device comes out and has PDF support, I will probably get one to reclaim my second monitor space.

Although I would imagine it is hard to cut and paste code from the iLiad to your desktop.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: In under a month I will have had both Sonys and a Kindle
I spend WAY too much time in front of a computer. That's part of the reason I am looking at e-ink readers. A computerized way to store, edit, and carry my books but with a display that will let my eyes rest a bit. I have decided, though, until I can get a reader that can do PDF support brilliantly, I will keep the tech books on the computer and just try to rest my eyes with fiction, classics, and the occasional personal development book.

I can't imagine I would go for a 9.7 inch e-reader. I already have an issue with the Iliad's size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Frankly, when I am reading technical books, I am usually at the computer and display it on my secondary monitor. However, if and when the Astak 9.7 inch device comes out and has PDF support, I will probably get one to reclaim my second monitor space.

Although I would imagine it is hard to cut and paste code from the iLiad to your desktop.

BOb
manchuia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Any interest in CHM books?

If so, why not have a look at the Hanlin V2? I wrote up a brief review - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24446 - have a look towards the end where I mention the CHM in the V2.

HTH!
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ruby on rails