Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #61
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
It's starting to grow on me. I haven't done any real reading on it, though, because I haven't broken open the plastic on the USB cord and all of that (and none of my other devices use micro-usb). I may keep it around. I did find that in low-light conditions, it has better contrast than my 505.

I just have to see about the Cybook Odyssey and also consider the Nook STR at its new price of $99. The Odyssey looks wonderful, although I don't know how a capacitive screen will effect the e-ink reading experience, if at all, and how easy it will be to get one from the States. The Nook STR is still tempting because of the ability to root it.. when I consider how much extra I can get for that, I have to question whether I really need two e-ink readers (3 if you count my 505, which I still love dearly indeed..)
Glad you are giving it a chance.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #62
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Well, my conclusions are still that I would prefer a larger form factor. However, one thing I have learned from trying the PRS-350 is that I missed out on a great generation of Sony Readers. The price was too high back then, and it still seems impossible to get 650 or 950 for decent prices, but I really wish I could. If the 650 had wi-fi it would truly be the perfect device. Made of metal, gorgeous (omg the red! I'd settle for the black too), sleek. and add PRS+ to that..

I'm really sad my PCRichard order for the 950 was cancelled. I didn't appreciate how good of a price it was, and for such a lovely device.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #63
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I just had the disappointment of this month (well, second after the cancellation of the PC Richard order). I found a Sony Reader advertisement selling the device for $130 and the picture was of the PRS-950. I was very excited, but after checking, the seller told me it's a PRS-350. Well, there goes my enthusiasm at what looked like the deal of the year (for the second time).
Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #64
seajewel
Fanatic

Okay, sorry to triple post but I checked posting guidelines and don't think I'm breaking it. Just wanted to report that my experience with the 350 spurred me to track down a 950. I just paid, it's supposed to be like new condition (only used for 1-2 months) and hopefully I will get it soon in the advertised condition with no flaws. It was, of course, a bit more than the current-gen Readers go for, but I didn't realize just how much extra screen real estate you get with the 950 until I had the 350 and realized how small it is in comparison to 6 inch readers (which is good and bad of course.. WAY more portable and very adorable). So I think paying the premium is okay, and I'll probably use this and hold out until next year's offerings and hopefully an upgraded E-ink Screen. Or I might spend even more cash and buy a smaller E-ink reader (I may try to exchange my 350 rather than returning it.. I'm still not happy with the things I noted earlier in this thread) to carry around. But for something I'm carrying around, I would like it to have Wi-Fi, which is the other reason the 350 is almost there but not quite for me. It is a really great size, however. I don't carry my 505 around because honestly the weight is noticeable in my bag, whereas I don't think I would have that problem with the 350. so my 950 will be my "at-home reader." I can't wait to get it!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #65
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
It was, of course, a bit more than the current-gen Readers go for, but I didn't realize just how much extra screen real estate you get with the 950
You'll love it. My eyes are getting old (yes just my eyes) and I use a larger font so the longer screen is quite nice.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #66
maritimer
Maritimer
maritimer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-300 & T1
PRS 350- Price

Hi Folks

I'm in Canada and would love to pick up a 350. However depending on where you look retailers are still selling it at anywheres from $198 to over $200. I find this odd as the new T1 was just reduced to $129 in the USA.

So even a refurbished price of $69 would be great if it was offered in Canada.
maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #67
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Check eBay.

I just bought two PRS-650s (one for my wife, one spare) from a seller that is in Canada. $158 each.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #68
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Okay, sorry to triple post but I checked posting guidelines and don't think I'm breaking it. Just wanted to report that my experience with the 350 spurred me to track down a 950. I just paid, it's supposed to be like new condition (only used for 1-2 months) and hopefully I will get it soon in the advertised condition with no flaws. It was, of course, a bit more than the current-gen Readers go for, but I didn't realize just how much extra screen real estate you get with the 950 until I had the 350 and realized how small it is in comparison to 6 inch readers (which is good and bad of course.. WAY more portable and very adorable). So I think paying the premium is okay, and I'll probably use this and hold out until next year's offerings and hopefully an upgraded E-ink Screen. Or I might spend even more cash and buy a smaller E-ink reader (I may try to exchange my 350 rather than returning it.. I'm still not happy with the things I noted earlier in this thread) to carry around. But for something I'm carrying around, I would like it to have Wi-Fi, which is the other reason the 350 is almost there but not quite for me. It is a really great size, however. I don't carry my 505 around because honestly the weight is noticeable in my bag, whereas I don't think I would have that problem with the 350. so my 950 will be my "at-home reader." I can't wait to get it!
Congrats! I love my 950, and it's my stay at home reader too. I have to give it the special treatment now that it is so difficult to replace. I find the 350 is great to carry around in my handbag due to its size. I got the T1 because I wanted wireless capability. The T1 is much lighter than my old 505 and isn't too heavy in my handbag.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #69
spacebrew
Enthusiast
spacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-350, Droid X2
Well the special price has officially discontinued. I was hoping they'd keep it going for another few days.
spacebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #70
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I just bought two PRS-650s (one for my wife, one spare) from a seller that is in Canada. $158 each.
Wellcome in the group of "Spare-X50-Owners"

Even in other forums a couple of posters telling comparable stories. Partly sending back the T1 and/or buying a second 350, 650 or 950.
Before the T1 hits the market I had a undefined feeling that I should buy a second 350 just in case. In the end I did it more or less accidently, and do not regret it.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #71
seajewel
Fanatic

Was there a receipt in your refurbished PRS-350's? I don't see mine in the box where i kept everything.. wondering if I somehow misplaced it or if there was none to begin with.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #72
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maritimer View Post
Hi Folks

I'm in Canada and would love to pick up a 350. However depending on where you look retailers are still selling it at anywheres from $198 to over $200. I find this odd as the new T1 was just reduced to $129 in the USA.

So even a refurbished price of $69 would be great if it was offered in Canada.
Yes, as Pinecone said, check eBay. I just picked up a new 350 a few weeks ago for $129.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #73
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I'm the one that posted I recently got a 2nd PRS-350 with a noticeably brighter screen. It just seems to be the normal variation that can on occur between any e-ink screen even made by the same company. It's not that the older one is harder to read at all; it's still a very nice contrast, easy on the eyes and easy to read even for extended periods. I wouldn't have even noticed it unless I had them both, and certainly have zero complaints about the first one even though it is slightly darker. And you can still adjust the contrast to get them similar looking anyway.

I really wouldn't worry about that difference.

I love the 350 and its 5" screen, it's so portable. And the smaller screen doesn't matter at all since it takes the slightest movement of my thumb to advance pages which doesn't break the reading flow at all for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
I can confirm that. I too own two 350 (bought it with full price...) and they differ in brightness. It's a question of luck I presume.

Concerning the 350 I just can say:
Very good high quality product. Mature software (which just works). The original firmware has at least one bug (searching from the beginning of a book). But with PRS+ even that bug is eliminated. No crashing to expect). If I wouldn't have 2 350 I would buy a second refurbished one!

Besides:
I wonder why that counts obviously not much - but the 5"-display has better resolution leading in noticeable sharper fonts compared to a 6"-display.

A.
As a new member of the multiple PRS-350 owner's club as of yesterday, and with the latest one having a brighter screen, I agree with both of you 100%. Seems to have better readability than even my Kindle 3, probably, as you point out Analogus, due to higher resolution for its size.

Why a spare 350? This thing is so small and portable, I've been taking it out and about more, sometimes only in my pocket, inviting more chance of damage and loss. Since there's no other Pearl e-Ink 5"-screen devices, I'm thinking this may be the last small e-Ink reader for a while.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #74
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I'm a member now too, my second PRS-350 refurb arrived yesterday. It has a darker screen than my first one, but it's still nicely readable. I wasn't sure at first I'd like this smaller size, but the higher resolution really helps and it is SO portable and easy to carry about.

Watch me run into a wall someday while walking around reading mine...
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #75
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Yes, I broke down and bought a second 350 once the price justified the purchase. My first 350 was stolen and, now that I have a replacement, no one else seems to be making a 5" reader. The resolution and portability haven't been duplicated by any new models so far.

Besides which, I want to be able to use Poppaea's gift of a lighted cover as long as I possibly can.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote