Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Catalog Error

OS Windows XP sp3
Calibre version 0.7.45

I have received the following error previously for misspellings, but this is the first time I received this error for having an author sort of "Various". I guess it is telling me that I have two author sort values for Dan Abnett and I do. This is by design, he contributed to a Series that has multiple authors so for the Authors in this series I use an author_sort value of Various. This keeps the series in order in the library view.

Quote:
calibre, version 0.7.45
ERROR: Metadata error:
Inconsistent Author Sort values for Author 'Dan Abnett':
'Various' <> 'Abnett, Dan',
unable to build catalog.

Select all books by 'Dan Abnett', apply correct Author Sort value in Edit Metadata dialog, then rebuild the catalog.

Catalog generation terminated.
Using Inconsistent Author Sort values for Author 'Dan Abnett' is a feature of calibre not a bug. I am curious, is this an insurmountable obstacle that can't be handled in the catalog generation code? Or is there a way to overcome this in settings that I have missed or overlooked?

If there is no work around and the code doesn't allow for my situation then I'll either conform or do without the catalog. Either way life goes on.

Have a great day.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-13-2011 at 11:18 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I have received the following error previously for misspellings, but this is the first time I received this error for having an author sort of "Various". I guess it is telling me that I have two author sort values for Dan Abnett and I do. This is by design, he contributed to a Series that has multiple authors so for the Authors in this series I use an author_sort value of Various. This keeps the series in order in the library view.

Using Inconsistent Author Sort values for Author 'Dan Abnett' is a feature of calibre not a bug. I am curious, is this an insurmountable obstacle that can't be handled in the catalog generation code? Or is there a way to overcome this in settings that I have missed or overlooked?

If there is no work around and the code doesn't allow for my situation then I'll either conform or do without the catalog. Either way life goes on.

Have a great day.
I saw this in .44, I found that my Sort was not to my standards
so I did not comment.

What I found was Inconsistent with the Author sort in the Tag editor for a single name.
AFAIK, Metadata A-S must be a consistent super-set of the Tag-edit A-S.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
There were some catalog generation failures reported with author_sort mismatches, so I decided to switch from a warning to a cancellation of the build process. It's difficult to predict from within the catalog code whether or not the mismatch will lead to a crash. I'll take another look at the code to see if it's possible to detect whether a warning or a cancellation is called for.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
There were some catalog generation failures reported with author_sort mismatches, so I decided to switch from a warning to a cancellation of the build process. It's difficult to predict from within the catalog code whether or not the mismatch will lead to a crash. I'll take another look at the code to see if it's possible to detect whether a warning or a cancellation is called for.

G
Could this 'detection' be added to the Library Maintenance section?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not really a fault of the library to have non-matching author_sort values, it just happens to wreak havoc with the catalog generator. I have an idea to improve the handling when the condition is detected.

G
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post

I reviewed the code and realized that the fatal error condition only occurs when generating MOBI catalogs.

The updated behavior will warn of author_sort mismatches when building EPUB catalogs, but continue with the build. MOBI behavior is unchanged - the catalog build aborts when author_sort mismatches are encountered.

I've submitted a patch for the next release.

G
Old 02-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
I've submitted a patch for the next release.
Thanks, I look forward to trying it out.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote