Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #151
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
opted to NOT read all 10 pages, but here are three quick things that I'd like, #1 is probably mandatory as it should be trivial to implement and should have been an option in the first place as should #2: (Kobo-WiFi)

1.) a GOTO PAGE # option! ONLY reader/reading app w/o one ffs!

2.) dictionary access in ANY document (again see #1 comments)

3.) browser that can browse anywhere. admittedly of limited value and some sites probably wouldn't work well but it'd be NICE to have in official fw.

4.) something like clockwork mod for backup/recovery used in many Android devices. Trust me this makes life much less annoying when messing around with official fw, betas and custom fw.

5.) more font choices. Builtin fonts seem to kind of suck v. my PRS-505 and well, pretty much any other device on the "smallest" font size. Larger sizes are well, just too large even "small". [EDIT2] Might be more of a question of finer control over font size, maybe a menu setting optionally allowing people to pick point sizes for the various DISPLAY menu font sizings... [/EDIT2]

6.) Bookmarks! (see #1 comments)

[EDIT]
7.) possibly assigning the BACK button to page back and the SHOP button to page FORWARD while READING a book. I'd further suggest dedicated page FORWARD/BACK buttons on the top of BOTH edges of the facia in NEW models as I think that most of us would like one handed operation and I for one use my offhand.
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
8.) More book sorting options and entry data, e.g. date added & date/time of addition listed, etc.

9.) Store interface that behaves more similarly to the rest of the device, i.e. left and right should page forward/back rather than having to highlight the little arrow and select it.

10.) Store needs more sorting options, e.g. price, date added, date published, etc.

I'm going to keep editing this post as I think of items unless a new post appears below this at which point I'll start a continuation in a new post... in the hopes that some from kobo reads these...
[/EDIT2]

Add more as I go along but I've only had the Kobo for about 18h, and used it for maybe 3h but these are what jumped out at me immediately.

hate to say it but my wishlist seems to be mostly basic things... surprisingly missing...

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 02-17-2011 at 10:47 AM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #152
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
One other one: give a genuine "low battery" warning before you have to plug the thing in to recharge, not just a "plug me in NOW" screen when you can't read even one more sentence without plugging in.
THIS!!! Please, this! I HATE the dang thing going dead on me and then having to page through to find where I left off. I read for hours at a stretch, come on people!
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #153
almagary
Wears funny hat (cloth)
almagary began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Touch
Settings should allow:

--Compressed display of I'm Reading, Books, etc., because library shelves get full and have to be scanned quickly, even with alphabetization of titles and authors.

--Compressed display of all Table(s) of Contents, especially as TOC display now is limited to top-level headings (Heading 1), which often includes much more than Ch. 1, Ch. 2, etc. Also, without a search function, the only way around some longer texts is by way of the TOC--eg, the four-part, 1,900-article Wikipedia epub that Carlb just posted (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122868)
almagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #154
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
I haven't seen this mentioned for a while, just don't want it forgotten: The wifi kobo still has an issue with chapter breaks. I quite often click forward on the last page of a chapter, see the processing icon at the top right corner, but the page doesn't refresh with the new one. I have to then page forward one more time and then it shows the next page briefly, but then continues to the second page of the chapter, so I then have to page back. I hope their next firmware fixes this.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #155
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned for a while, just don't want it forgotten: The wifi kobo still has an issue with chapter breaks. I quite often click forward on the last page of a chapter, see the processing icon at the top right corner, but the page doesn't refresh with the new one. I have to then page forward one more time and then it shows the next page briefly, but then continues to the second page of the chapter, so I then have to page back. I hope their next firmware fixes this.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #156
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
I had this fault with every chapter of the first book I ever bought for the Kobo and figured it was a firmware fault. Then every book since doesn't do it.

Do you not think this is perhaps simply book related?

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #157
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
I had this fault with every chapter of the first book I ever bought for the Kobo and figured it was a firmware fault. Then every book since doesn't do it.

Do you not think this is perhaps simply book related?

ltr
Actually I think this is a combination of a firmware bug/quirk and possibly the way some books are put together. I finally got an answer on newspapers hanging and apparently it is due to the firmware putting the Kobo hardware in a lower power "sleep" mode to save battery if it's been on the same page for more than 3 seconds. If the chapters in a particular book (or newspaper) take more than 3 seconds to process (thus it stays on the same page) it will "time-out" and hang until you hit another button, then it will continue. Supposedly will be corrected in firmware update (at least for the Wifi).

Robert
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #158
Charbucks
Charbucks has learned how to buy an e-book online

I admit, I didn't quite read through all 11 pages, but I did a search and didn't find this... I'd like the option to hide the "Page #/##" display at the bottom of the screen, especially for PDFs. I'd rather have the text fill the screen completely, and then hit a menu button to display what page I'm on.
Charbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #159
ringerc
Enthusiast
ringerc is on a distinguished road

Angry Sensible crash recovery during book loading

I usually load books into my Kobo in fairly large batches. For example, I just loaded almost the entire Baen Free Library, 97 works.

The Kobo has helpfully decided to crash and reboot early in the process of scanning the new books to add them to the database. Which book is causing problems? WHO FRIGGING KNOWS. It doesn't report which book it's processing on the display, nor does nickel even log it to stderr where I could capture it by redirecting stderr to the sd card.

It certainly doesn't do anything as useful as checkpointing its progress so that the startup code can tell the difference between a normal startup and "nickel crashed while scanning books and needs to be re-started after skipping problem book (x)".

That leads me to my feature request: Checkpoint progress while loading books. If nickel crashes while loading one, skip to the next book, record the problem, and tell the user about it at next startup. Even better, load each book in a child process, so you can just wait() for it and check the exit code to see if it succeeded or crashed.
ringerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #160
ringerc
Enthusiast
ringerc is on a distinguished road

I finally wrote up a list of issues, as the Kobo is pissing me off more and more as these bugs just don't get fixed. I was happy with it as an early product with issues, but there's no sign any of those issues are ever going to go away, and that's ... frustrating.

I'll try to keep it as an up-to-date summary of most of the feature request items here.
ringerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #161
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I hope you will PM your list to Sameer and JCKobo.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #162
tantomile
tantomile
tantomile began at the beginning.

Device: asus 7
please please add sorts by author and by date in both the device book list and the kobo library
tantomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #163
carlb
carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BPDN, Kobo wifi
Unhappy A dirty dozen: my favourite Kobo wi-fi bugs

1) The lack of "go-to" functionality is problematic, as your last position is not remembered if the app crashes, resets or if the battery goes dead while you are reading. Mix this with books that aren't properly divided into chapters (I remember the preloaded Darwin "Origin of Species" as having all its 900+ content pages listed to the one final chapter) and the lack of any provision to auto-insert chapter breaks every fifty pages or so if they're not there makes "pick up where you got lost" impossible until this particular beast evolves for a few more millenia or more. Even use of the Firefox sqlite extension (which can view/edit .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite directly) isn't an easy way to set bookmarks back to a specified position - it wants chapter name, paragraph number and word number in that paragraph to be in the "content" table, not just "go to 25% because that's where I lost my place and gave up".

2) External SD/SDHC support is badly broken. Writes from a USB-connected desktop PC to an SDHC card inserted in the Kobo's top slot often fail with unexplained disk write errors, even where placing the same card into a standard PC SD/SDHC card reader would've worked properly. Furthermore, the "Kobo is processing new content" - already an incredibly slow operation - will fail and go into an endless reset loop upon encountering even one damaged *.epub file on the card. It provides no indication of what's wrong or which file is causing it to fail.

3) The use of one huge *.sqlite database on the internal microSD/SDHC card to hold seemingly everything is not a solution which will scale well. Calibre can download directly to "Card A" (subject to bugs listed above) as it's copying proper *.epub files to the file system; the same is not true of Kobo's own app and (I suspect) ADE, which rely on dumping everything to .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite or .kobo/kepub/* in some incomprehensible format. That the *.sqlite file ends up as a list of every chapter of every book on the device, plus a list of what's on any external SD cards, could allow it to grow to a huge size which makes an already-slow device even slower. Even *.epub files which have been manually deleted from internal memory remain in the book list (unless removed by tools such as Calibre), giving only a "this content is locked" bogus-DRM error because the device isn't smart enough to either remove orphan database entries or properly report "404" if the *.epub is not found.

4) The handling of any damaged *.epub files on the internal microSDHC card, while not quite as broken as that for the externally-inserted cards, still leaves much to be desired. Upon finding one damaged file (regardless of card size), the search silently ends without even looking at any subsequent *.epub's on the device. Download a thousand free books and a few hundred appear... good luck trying to determine which of the first volumes to be on the file system and not on the list of books in Calibre/on the device could be the problem file?

5) The "processing new content" should be something which can happen in the background while one is reading, instead of rendering the device inaccessible to anyone until the scan completes.

6) The list of books looks like something out of a DOS 1.0 flat-file system; this lack of ability to categories volumes into folders or separate collections might've made sense if there were only a floppy disc's worth of storage on the device, but on a 16GB card with several thousand books this will become unwieldly rather soon. Even the "hide preloaded books" functionality which was added to the original Kobo remains missing from the wi-fi version, despite this unit's support for larger cards.

7) It is possible to cause the reader to reboot simply by attempting to read a document with large, overly-complex HTML tables such as the list of main articles by category in even a very-abridged Wikipedia collection. Like with the "processing new content" on the external card, rebooting without explanation is not the suitable user-friendly response to something the app can't handle properly.

8) The approach of "synchronisation" (where deleting content from the device affects the Kobo desktop app, or vice-versa) needs to be scrapped. Given the limitations of the "flat file system" approach to listing titles and the space limits imposed by not using the broken external SDHC card support, it makes more sense to use the desktop PC and its under $100/terabyte hard disk storage capacity to store every book a user has ever owned, while copying just the ones actually being read to the device. Effectively, the PC should be a full archive, not a mirror of what little is on the device. Calibre handles this well (and can be trusted not to go "1984" with deletions of device content just because the same book is missing on an upstream provider) but Kobo's own app does not.

9) Support for both Linux and Win2000 is incomplete and what little is supported is not documented. Any attempt to contact 'kobobooks.com' to ask whether the device is even usable under either of these gets a blunt 'no' (the actual situation is that ADE has no Linux version, while Kobo.exe and Calibre have no Win2000 support - but to say nothing works is a bit much).

10) The handling of books acquired from multiple sources is kludgy at best. There shouldn't be three different apps needed on the desktop (Kobo.exe for books purchased from Kobo itself, ADE for library books, Calibre for free *.epubs such as Gutenberg and Feedbooks...) just to manage one simple device.

11) The 100 preloaded "free books" appear to be in some oddball DRM format when simple, unencrypted *.epub files would offer more flexibility. A DRM-free bundle could be easily transferred to Calibre, archived on the desktop, and only the ones actually in use could remain on the device. The use of draconian restrictions management on what is clearly public-domain content effectively constrains Calibre from doing anything with this collection other than the removal of individual volumes. The only ways to restore individual books appear to be either a factory reset (which wipes everything on the FAT32 partition, replacing just the 100-book preloaded bundle) or a visit to legitimate public-domain sites such as Gutenberg to get clean, non DRM-infested *.epub's of this content which can be archived freely at will.

12) The wi-fi web browser functionality is of limited use if it's locked to only one website. While it is possible to create an *.epub book which, like a standard webpage, is packed with both internal and external hyperlinks (not to mention Wikipedia by name...) there is no means to use the internal browser to follow any of these links. Kobo turns *.epub from hypertext to flat plaintext, despite a crude browser and a wi-fi connection being available.

Last edited by carlb; 02-27-2011 at 02:15 PM.
carlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #164
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb
Even the "hide preloaded books" functionality which was added to the original Kobo remains missing from the wi-fi version, despite this unit's support for larger cards.
My kobo wi-fi has the "hide preloaded books" functionality and it works fine.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #165
Vzzzbx
Connoisseur
Vzzzbx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Here's one: Provide software updates worldwide simultaneously. Don't roll out a North American update and make Aus/NZ wait several weeks for the same update. Same goes for the apps on other devices (the Aus Borders iOS app is still v3).

I recall the reason for this being that Kobo had to organise some sort of cooperation with international organisations or something, but now that Kobo has clarified its position as separate from REDgroup etc. there's no excuse.
Vzzzbx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo