Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #15421
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
*shrug*

I will say this upfront, I don't agree with Rand's ideology, at least what I see as a very rigid portrayal of what and who is right and wrong in this book.

Setting that aside, I enjoyed reading Atlas Shrugged, despite what I consider serious flaws in plot, dialogue, and character development. Her prose has been described as dense and wooden, but I would even say that she is under-appreciated as a stylist because of her very visual descriptions of scenery.

I think Atlas Shrugged is worth reading at least once, to see what the fuss is about and be able to discuss it intelligently. I plan on reading it again.
The problem with Atlas Shrugged is the words. If we removed them, we'd have a very short and easy to read book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #15422
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Just finished both Winter's Bone and The Silmarillion.
What did you think of The Silmarillion?
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #15423
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Earlier today I finished Among Others by Jo Walton. I highly recommend it. It was an excellent read. I really enjoyed the ending.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #15424
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What did you think of The Silmarillion?
I had read it once, a long time ago. I enjoyed it more on second reading because I really had a feel for Tolkien's world and his language.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #15425
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I had read it once, a long time ago. I enjoyed it more on second reading because I really had a feel for Tolkien's world and his language.
It's like reading the Bible. It really does have the "feel" of a religious text to it. Takes a while to get into the spirit of the thing. Not easy reading, but very rewarding if you still with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #15426
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's like reading the Bible. It really does have the "feel" of a religious text to it. Takes a while to get into the spirit of the thing. Not easy reading, but very rewarding if you still with it.
I've read it and found it dull. But that was some time ago.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #15427
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Earlier today I finished Among Others by Jo Walton. I highly recommend it. It was an excellent read. I really enjoyed the ending.
Oh yes, a very good book and the ending actually worked. I was afraid that the books was going to have the kind of ending I do not like but fortunately it did not.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #15428
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Oh yes, a very good book and the ending actually worked. I was afraid that the books was going to have the kind of ending I do not like but fortunately it did not.
The last entry (ending) was quite emotional too.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #15429
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just finished Steve Perry's The Ramal Extraction: Cutter's Wars.
It was an enjoyable read.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 AM   #15430
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Now on to "Terminal Freeze" by Lincoln Child, a thriller about a group of scientists who undercover something strange in a cave beneath a melting glacier in Alaska.
I very much enjoyed this - a classic "hunt to kill a nasty monster before it kills you" story. Ludicrously implausible, of course, but fun to read.

On now to "The Wench is Dead" - the 8th "Inspector Morse" novel, by Colin Dexter.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #15431
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Farlight by Michael Swanson
If I've read it before, I'd completely forgotten it. Although readable, it has too much of pulp superscience in it for modern SF (which it is - written after 2001), and I won't be looking out for any more by this author in particular.

And with this book, my TBR pile has dropped below 300 for the first time since I started keeping a record of it in 2010!

Next: Dragon Ship by Lee and Miller. Not actually from my TBR pile. This one I've borrowed.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-25-2013 at 07:01 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #15432
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I've been reading a lot of creative non-fiction essays (cause I enjoy it and that's what I'm working on writing). Just read one by Janet Burroway last night that blew me away called "Embalming Mom" - it was definitely a different tact/style/approach than I think I've ever seen in non-fiction - somewhat surreal. I do not find it online anywhere, but I read it in the "TouchStone Anthology of Contemporary Creative Nonfiction" - http://www.amazon.com/Touchstone-Ant.../dp/1416531742
I finished reading this book as of yesterday. I'd give it a 4/5 stars. It is particularly of interest to anyone wanting to read non-fiction with more of a narrative, discriptive, story approach which is what Creative non-fiction is about. True stories but told more in the manner of fiction.

Stories of note in this were:

The Fourth State of Matter - Jo Ann Beard
- (available here in the New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/archive/199...urrentPage=all
Embalming Mom - Janet Borroway
Visitor - Michael W. Cox (very chilling)
Leap - Brian Doyle (a take on the Twin Towers Disaster)
- http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ions/leap.html
Small Rooms in Time - Ted Kooser (a memoir by a past Poet Laureate)
The Undertaking - Thomas Lynch
- (there was a Frontline Show based on this: http://video.pbs.org/video/1082075672/)
The Love of My Life - Cheryl Strayed
- (this is kind of the lead-in to "Wild" her latest best selling Story of Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail)

it also includes Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace which I've yet to be able to read and do not 'get' the fascination people have with him.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-25-2013 at 10:42 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #15433
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading The Sundered (Star Trek Lost Era I) on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sundered.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	100046  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #15434
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just completed Persuasion by Jane Austen. It really was slow going for the first half of the book and I was worried that I was going to have a pretty poor perception of it on completion.

Luckily, all started to flow nicely for me in the second half of the book and I came to enjoy it quite a bit by the end. I'm certainly not done with Austen.

Now, to an indie read/review, I'll be reading The Followers by Evan Bollinger. It's a supernatural novella that seemed to me to be quite artistic in the telling. So I'll see how it goes.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #15435
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I am currently reading The Sundered (Star Trek Lost Era I) on my Kindle.
I've read this. Very good book.