Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
What makes you buy???

Now that you have an e-reader what makes you buy a physical book?
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't, unless it is a reference book. For leisure reading, I buy only ebooks.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
robkat
Connoisseur
robkat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Ebooks only from now on. Save the trees.
robkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Unavailability of what I want in ebook format.

Ebook priced like the hardback, with the paperback at a third of the price.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Some books are simply "Shelf Worthy".

I buy very very few.....but those I do stay with me.

Also....buying paper books as gifts for friends who don't use e-book readers.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I will get physical books out of the library, if I can't borrow them in eBook and they're over $4 or $5 (or unavailable) to purchase.

I would buy a physical novel if:
* I knew the author personally, to support him or her and get it autographed
* My book club selected it and it was the only way to get it (in time)
* I got a gift certificate that could only be used on books
* If I was going somewhere that I couldn't bring my Kobo and I would have free time to read

Of course, there are some books that would be best in paper: reference, cook, workbooks. Magazines.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I buy few of either -- library books, baby!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
If I've already bought books 1, 2 & 3 in a series as a pbook and book 4 came out, I would want that as a pbook as well to have the complete set on my future bookshelf. (I don't have room for a bookshelf now, so all my pbooks are in a rubbermaid bin)
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
For me, it depends on a couple of factors (excluding availability):

• Which format would I have the most pleasure reading from? (i.e. a book with lots of illustrations, photos or charts would probably be better in physical form.)
• Which titles would look good on my shelf? (Shallow of me, but true)
• Which titles would I possibly lend to others?
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiegirl2012 View Post
Now that you have an e-reader what makes you buy a physical book?
I still occasionally buy physical books for several reasons:
  • It's a reference book I want want to be able to flick through it quickly, references several pages in quick succession.
  • It has complex formatting that works best on a physical page
  • It's an old book that I want for scanning

Mostly the last reason. I really don't buy many physical books any more.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I still buy some non-fiction books that I want to re-read & maybe make notes in. And if a fiction book is exceptional I may buy the paper version. That way I can share it with my sister who doesn't have an e-reader.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
mstetz
mstetz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
If I come across gaps in a series that I'm reading, I check the pbook out of the library.

Marty
mstetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Availability: either because it isn't out in ebook at all or not in my region or not in a readable format for my reader. If I can't get it I usually won't buy the book unless I know it's a good book, for instance when it's part of series I'm reading.

Series: I just ordered a David Hewson pbook because I got the first novel of the series as a pbook.

Price: At times it's cheaper to get the pbook, I recently found a book I wanted in a second hand bookstore for 1/4 of the price of the ebook, it was brand new and as far as I could tell never read. Though usually I wait until the price of the ebook is lowered, there are enough books on my wishlist to keep me busy for a while.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Lower price, better availability, and no DRM. I can always lop off the spine and scan it once I've bought it.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I've given up on buying paper books. My PB360 is just too too handy!

However ...

... that doesn't count for my textbooks. Believe me you, I'd LOVE to have e-textbooks (I swear my Business Law textbook weighs ten pounds+ alone!). But, I don't keep my books when the class is done and there is no re-sale on an e-text. Until/unless they come up with a public-library-like way of borrowing e-texts, my cost advantage is to buy, then re-sell.

I don't really know how that can be fixed, either, although I have seen that some colleges are looking into making textbooks a part of the tuition cost (or loaning them out at the start of the semester and taking them back at the end). However, for now, paper textbooks it is for me.

Wow! I went off on a tangent, didn't I? Sorry. Must have been thoughts of the weight of my backpack!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote