Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
tobymax
tobymax began at the beginning.

Device: none
Questions about Sony Pocket Reader?

I discounted getting the Nook. Now debating getting the Sony Pocket
Reader. My questions are:

1) Does it do pictures? Like comic books? Manga?
2) Battery - is it true it only has a 2 year lifespan? My GBA-SP's battery
is alive and well after 9 years.
3) A lot of people in this forum have lots of problems? Well I have bought
every Nintendo handheld with no problems and Sony TVs with no problem.
Is it rare to have problems?
tobymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

1. The screen will be too small for comic books and most PDFs. It can view them. but it won't be a great experience.
  2. The 300 has only been around for about 6-8 months, so there is no way to know if the battery will last only two years. My guess it will last at least that long if you take good care of it.
  3. I haven't had any problems with mine. I think most of the problems encountered in forums like this one are due to operator error.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I think the first question you need to answer is what you will mainly be using it for. Mostly comic books? A lot of pdf files? or just reading text mainly books in the ePub or lrf format?

Once you figure out what you will be using it for and what formats you will be using, then you can choose the Reader that best displays your main format of choice.

Everyone has different needs for a Reader, and it seems as though if you choose the one that best displays your format of choice, you will have less complaints.

I have the 505 and use it for ePub and lrf books, which suits me perfectly. Oh, I've had mine for about 16 months, never have turned it off, and reload books and recharge every 2 or 3 weeks.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
tobymax

I had downloaded the Sony Reader PC version. I also have Calibre. I noticed that
when converting a txt to lrf when I put it on the screen the format is horrible compared
to leaving it as a txt file. Is this a good representation of what I will see when I buy
the Pocket Reader? Also should I leave files as txt files?
Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymax View Post
I had downloaded the Sony Reader PC version. I also have Calibre. I noticed that
when converting a txt to lrf when I put it on the screen the format is horrible compared
to leaving it as a txt file. Is this a good representation of what I will see when I buy
the Pocket Reader? Also should I leave files as txt files?
Do you mean you installed the Sony Reader Library?

When I view the ePub and lrf files on the Sony Reader Library (on my laptop) it looks like it does on my Reader.

I really haven't used Calibre or any other format other than the ADE pdf and the feedbooks pdf (I use their template for a custom size for my Reader).

Hopefully, another member with more experience will post with more information.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have the Sony 600. I would not consider it a great choice for comics, but it does PDFs with illustrations just fine.

Consider EPub as the native format for EReaders, and choose a device that displays Epubs well. I think the Sony 600 does a great job with EPub. Don't use txt for anything...

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
If you want to use pdfs or comics where you want to zoom in and pan, then go for a 600. If you want text only, then the 300 seems fine for me. But with the 300 not having a touchscreen where you can move a zoomed pdf to the place you need is similar to my old 505. Sometimes you have columns of text that cannot be read as you have to switch between two halfes of a column with the section separation right in the middle of the column.

All tradeoffs and benefits of the 600 to a non touchscreen apply also.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
tobymax

Hi Rmm why not use txt files for anything? Could you or someone explain? Does it
cause problems? Sorry for not understanding - still learning about ebook readers.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

I've never tried .txt files yet. But obviously, txt files are not really formatted that well. Just imagine a printmagazine being made as txt file with no real layout.

As for books, it may be something to try, but so far I was ok with the formats I've used.

Sorry if I'm not much of a help here. I may try out tonight.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:11 AM   #10
colleenFL
Groupie
colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.

Device: PW3, PW1, Kobo N647, Sony PRS-600, Sony PRS-300, various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymax View Post
Hi Rmm why not use txt files for anything? Could you or someone explain? Does it
cause problems? Sorry for not understanding - still learning about ebook readers.
I've read some .txt files on my PRS-300. The formatting doesn't look good. Now I always run the .txt file through Calibre and convert it to EPUB. Much nicer. It makes it fit the screen and is easier to read because of the better formatting.
colleenFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:28 AM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I read manga on my PRS-505, and I find that the screen size is fine for reading manga, however I do think that the 5 inch screen of the 300 would be a bit small for me personally. However, it might be fine for you. You could try taking a page of manga and scaling it down to 5 inches using a photocopier or some sort of picture editor and printing it out to see what it would look like before you go ahead and buy the 300. I haven't tried reading American-style comic books on my 505.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
I purchased a PRS-300 late last year. It was my first reader. After I got it, I became discontent because of what the 600 offered, so I returned it and got a 600... Then I became discontent with the screen glare and contrast of the 600 screen and went back to the 300 because the contrast is great. I've never tried anything like comics on it or anything. Addressing the use of .txt files, I read for years on a Palm PDA reading only text files and had no complaints. Now that I'm on an actual reader that can preserve the formatting of a document, I'm spoiled and refuse to read just straight text. A good example is the book I'm currently reading. There is an area in the text that is a handwritten letter and it is in a smaller font and in cursive. It adds something to the immersive quality of the book. Myself, if I can't get the book in .epub format, my preference is to get it as .html and convert it with Calibre. Other formats seem to take longer to load or lag more on page turns. It also allows me to customize the book cover. So far, that is the method that works best for me.
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I can only comment on your third question, and say that I think it is rare to have problems. You have to remember on a forum like this, a lot more people will post with complaints and requests for help than they will with "happy" stories.

I have a Sony Touch edition and I have never had a problem with it. El hub and I have a Sony Bravia TV, a Sony PlayStation 2, 3, and PSP, and a really old Sony DVD player. No problems with any of these.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #14
Mike_73
Guru

Ok, I forgot to post that I also never had problems with any Sony product I owned so far. Prs505/600, PSP, minidisc (ok, this one is really outdated, but it still works), car radio.
I like Sony's designs pretty much (clear lines, a little understatement...). I didn't go for any Sony D-SLR though. Instead I bought a Canon.