Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Reasons you have not paid for a 'donation' book?
I downloaded it but haven't read it yet 43 59.72%
I did not read it because the book is 'not my thing' 7 9.72%
I read at minimum a sample, but the book was not to my liking 18 25.00%
I meant to send a donation but I forgot 7 9.72%
I meant to send a donation but do not use Paypal (or whatever given option) 3 4.17%
Why send money when the author is giving it away for free 4 5.56%
Other 13 18.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Reasons you have not paid for a 'donationware' book?

Richard Herley's post about offering his books for free and getting many downloads but not many payments had me wondering about people who download a free book and don't pay for it. Why not? Select more than one reason if you want to, but if you can leave a comment about which reason was the primary one, that would be so interesting.

1) I downloaded it but haven't read it yet
2) I did not read it because the book is 'not my thing'
3) I read at minimum a sample, but the book was not to my liking
4) I meant to send a donation but I forgot
5) I meant to send a donation but do not use Paypal (or whatever given option)
6) Why send money when the author is giving it away for free
7) Other
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
I kept forgetting to give Jeff Carver (Starrigger) a donation for months after downloading the Chaos Chronicles. After downloading Sunborn, which I still haven't read yet, I remembered that I had been meaning to leave a tip in the jar. Once I did, I felt much better. I'm planning on leaving another tip after I read Sunborn as well.

Last edited by kwjones; 02-17-2010 at 02:47 PM.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
The problem with donationware for me, is that I'm at the website when I download the book, but I'm using my Reader when I finish the book, so I have to remember to "pay" for the book if I liked it sometime later. Some times I do, most times I don't (despite the best of intentions)
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, the one time i wantted to do this, i was disapointed by paypal not allowing to leave a message.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I generally do remember to send one later if I intend to, but there are books (such as Herley's) which I did not download in the first place because they are just not my thing and I am learning to devote my reading energy to quality books I will really enjoy and not to just 'filler' I got because it was there.

There are a few freebies I have downloaded and just not gotten to yet, but when I do read them, I will probably leave a tip if I enjoy them.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Just to be clear, polls like this aren't going to give you any actual or usable information.

• Sample size is way too small
• Sample is not representative (as you aren't polling the downloaders, or the population at large)
• Sample population is self-selecting (i.e. only people who are on MR and are interested in the topic will even bother to read the post, let alone vote)

Granted, it's cheaper than hiring Gallup. But I don't think you'll find any real answers this way.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Because I didn't enjoy it in one case.

In others, because they were just bad.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I didn't tip Jeffrey Carver for his free books, but I bought the rest of his works, where does that put me?
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
As a courtesy I always leave a small donation when I download the book. If I like the book then I go back afterwords and donate more (if possible).
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I downloaded 3 of Richard Herley's books, and simply forgot to pay, as I haven't read them yet... This has today been rectified - not the reading, but the donation...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Just to be clear, polls like this aren't going to give you any actual or usable information.

• Sample size is way too small
• Sample is not representative (as you aren't polling the downloaders, or the population at large)
• Sample population is self-selecting (i.e. only people who are on MR and are interested in the topic will even bother to read the post, let alone vote)

Granted, it's cheaper than hiring Gallup. But I don't think you'll find any real answers this way.
ALL forum polls are likely (almost certain?) to have small, non-representative, self-selecting samples. So, you seem to be saying "don't expect reliable data from any of the polls", which is true enough in that none of them are properly managed double-blind trials.

Even so, I find many of the polls interesting.

What constitutes a real answer, in any case? Is there any way in which I can find any real answers? I once read a survey that said there wasn't.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Why should you pay money for a book you download from a totally new author and a book that bypass the publisher filtering? If i like the book I would pay for the next book. But the probability that it is a good book is really low if you do not have trusted reviews to read before you download.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
What few I've seen ask for PayPal, and due to a quagmire of a problem a few years ago that took 3 months to settle I no longer use PayPal.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Richard Herley's post about offering his books for free and getting many downloads but not many payments had me wondering about people who download a free book and don't pay for it. Why not? Select more than one reason if you want to, but if you can leave a comment about which reason was the primary one, that would be so interesting.

1) I downloaded it but haven't read it yet
2) I did not read it because the book is 'not my thing'
3) I read at minimum a sample, but the book was not to my liking
4) I meant to send a donation but I forgot
5) I meant to send a donation but do not use Paypal (or whatever given option)
6) Why send money when the author is giving it away for free
7) Other
You forgot the option for: "I didn't bother to download it because his story blurbs didn't make the novels appeal to me."

Besides, I've never heard of him... at least, not until he posted that his experiment was over. So I'd have to say his advertising/marketing campaign failed to reach me.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #15
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
You forgot the option for: "I didn't bother to download it because his story blurbs didn't make the novels appeal to me."

Besides, I've never heard of him... at least, not until he posted that his experiment was over. So I'd have to say his advertising/marketing campaign failed to reach me.

Derek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot
had me wondering about people who download a free book and don't pay for it. Why not?
Maybe he didn't forget.

Clearly the poll was relating to people have downloaded a donationware book and not paid for it.

Ergo, not knowing about the book or not wanting the book and therefore not downloading it is irrelevant to the poll.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote