Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #16
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Harry Turtledove is generally considered the master of alternate history fiction.
I agree with this choice for alternate history fiction. I have read all of Turtledove's novel-length works; some are excellent and some are pretty mediocre. I also own most of his work in hardcover.

To get the flavor of his work without going the series route, I highly recommend Household Gods by Harry Turtledove and Judith Tarr.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #17
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I've only read Philip K. Dick's "The Man in the High Castle" and can recommend it.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #18
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Go here and get The Moon and the Sun. It is alt history set in the court of Louis IV. Won all sorts of awards. http://www.vondanmcintyre.com/

This story is a masterpiece!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Go here and get The Moon and the Sun. It is alt history set in the court of Louis IV. Won all sorts of awards. http://www.vondanmcintyre.com/

This story is a masterpiece!
I think you mean "Louis XIV" - the "Sun King" - don't you? That's the whole point of the title .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you mean "Louis XIV" - the "Sun King" - don't you? That's the whole point of the title .

Oops! I'm low on X's and trying to conserve. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not to worry. Too many "Louis"s in French history .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I agree with this choice for alternate history fiction. I have read all of Turtledove's novel-length works; some are excellent and some are pretty mediocre. I also own most of his work in hardcover.

To get the flavor of his work without going the series route, I highly recommend Household Gods by Harry Turtledove and Judith Tarr.
Or Ruled Britannia, wherein a successful Spanish Armada re-imposes Catholicism upon no longer Elizabethan England.

I have long been a fan of Alternate History, and I tend to find the most interesting stories to be those that don't get too far from the point of divergence. That is to say, those that don't go too far forward from the point in which the story's timeline diverged from our own. The Years of Rice and Salt is a long, drawn out story that skips forward in time from one epoch to another long past the point of divergence, where 99% of Europeans are killed by the Plague in the 14th century. It devolves into the author preaching and berating the reader. I can't recall how many times this book put me to sleep, but I wouldn't waste my time on it!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #23
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Connie Willis' "To Say Nothing of the Dog" and "The Doomsday Book".

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:22 AM   #24
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Although its not a specific book, DC Comics has many stories featuring alternate versions of Earth (52 in all), each which features divergent histories from the main DC Earth (called New Earth). For example, on one Earth Superman's rocket landed in the Soviet Union instead of the United States. On another Earth, Bruce Wayne became a Green Lantern instead of becoming Batman.

For more information, see this Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tiverse_worlds
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote