Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #2476
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT2, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which device and with what version firmware will you be experimenting with?

What is your general plan?
Read through the software?
Run the software under emulation?
Just poke at the screen?

OH -
and since this thread is ntended for the maintenance of this jail break, not about discovering something new - -
why don't you start your own thread?
Threads are cheap here.
I'm experimenting just with my KT2. I don't plan to risk my PW2 anytime soon (since obviously, it's the more expensive device here).

My general plan is to find a way to jailbreak my Kindle, wheter I will be able to find a method to downgrade or find a method to put the jailbreak certificate in "/etc/uks/".

I looked through the packages of three firmwares (5.6.0 initial; 5.8.9.2; 5.8.10) because I'm kinda new to Kindle development and wanted to check a bit more in depth how things work.

I can also poke randomly at the screen to check if something happens (if I get so desperate).

I'm currently looking for any exploits via the "file:///mnt/us/" URL in the Experimental Browser.

And so, when I find some way to jailbreak (very unlikely), I will create my own thread here.

The best thing is that here, all threads are extreamly cheap to create (in fact, they are free).

nicolasmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:10 AM   #2477
evnemih
evnemih began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hello, my Kindle Voyage (9013*) is running 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011) and I can't make a jailbreak.
My KV was bought with this firmware and I've not made any updates
I've tried instruction at the first post
attempt 1: steps 1,5 -> fail
attempt 2: steps 0(I had special offers), 1, 5 -> fail
attempt 3: steps 0(I removed special offers), 1, 5 -> fail
attempt 4: added html_demos file and tried steps 1,5 -> failed (all files exist, no any changes in the system)
So I'm wondering if I made a mistake when I did a factory reset or not?
My Kindle Voyage is also trying to download updates may it be connected with special offers unsubscribe or its just new firmware version?
"If you do unsubscribe from special offers, be sure to give your Kindle enough time on-line for Amazon's servers to update its local status files"
I've already got a pop-up message about removing special offers...

Last edited by evnemih; 08-14-2017 at 09:03 AM.
evnemih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #2478
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by evnemih View Post
Hello, my Kindle Voyage (9013*) is running 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011) and I can't make a jailbreak.
attempt 2: steps 0(I removed special offers), 1, 5 -> fail
attempt 3: added html_demos file and tried steps 1,5 -> failed (all files exist, no any changes in the system)
My Kindle Voyage is also trying to download updates may it be connected with special offers unsubscribe or its just new firmware version?
"If you do unsubscribe from special offers, be sure to give your Kindle enough time on-line for Amazon's servers to update its local status files"
Put the update blocker directory name on USB storage -
Read Step #7 (including spoiler).
Do not let it update, at least for a few days.
If the blocker directory name gets erased (you should get a pop-up), replace it.

Yes, the 'Reset' may be what killed the ability to jailbreak.
Just hang in there at your current 5.8.9.0.1 for a few days while we look into it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #2479
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by evnemih View Post
attempt 3: steps 0(I removed special offers), 1, 5 -> fail
attempt 4: added html_demos file and tried steps 1,5 -> failed (all files exist, no any changes in the system)
Double check your firmware.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #2480
warflower
warflower began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Hi,

I bought my kindle paperwhite today - firmware 5.8.9.0.1. Serial #: G090G1...

i'm newb I need to jailbreak my device but I don't realy know what I need to download to make it work. Please I need a Dummy guide!

I read the first post but I don't understand where I can't find the firmware and the files that I need to put in my device.

pls
warflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #2481
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warflower View Post
Hi,

i'm newb I need to jailbreak my device but I don't realy know what I need to download to make it work. Please I need a Dummy guide!

I read the first post but I don't understand where I can't find the firmware and the files that I need to put in my device.

pls
This is the most important thing:
People with devices running 5.8.9.0.1 from the factory may skip steps 0, 2, 3, 4.
Do only Steps #1 and all other Steps #5 through #8 (skip only steps: 0, 2, 3, and 4).
If you do step 0, there is a good chance your PW can no longer be jailbroken.

Did you click on the spoilers?
If not, please reread the post in its entirety. Especially the part about your firmware.
Do not turn on wifi or reset your PW until you understand all the directions.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 08-15-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #2482
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT2, PW2
Quote:
Hi,

pls
You are on a "special" firmware. You don't need to download an older firmware.

You just need to skip to Step #5 and download the file "main-htmlviewer.tar.gz" to the root of your Kindle.

Then, you disconnect your Kindle from the computer, tap the Search Bar at the top and type in ";installHtml" (without quotes, with semi-column).

Let us know if it works or if you have any other questions.

Have a nice day
nicolasmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #2483
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmart View Post
You are on a "special" firmware. You don't need to download an older firmware.

You just need to skip to Step #5 and download the file "main-htmlviewer.tar.gz" to the root of your Kindle.

Then, you disconnect your Kindle from the computer, tap the Search Bar at the top and type in ";installHtml" (without quotes, with semi-column).

Let us know if it works or if you have any other questions.

Have a nice day
He needs to do step 1.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #2484
warflower

WooW

first, many thx for the speed of response, than

Cinisajoy, step one its to identify my device after DSN, right? My device is G090G1... its ok?
Old 08-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #2485
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
WooW

first, many thx for the speed of response, than

Cinisajoy, step one its to identify my device after DSN, right? My device is G090G1... its ok?
Yes it is.
Do as coplate posted, then post your results without touching anything else.
(you should have a new document on the device now with the title: "You are Jailbroken").

And if you don't we have something else you can try before doing anything else.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #2487
knc1
Going Viral

Try again - Your PC destroyed the package.

It MUST end up on your Kindle EXACTLY as downloaded.
That is:
NEVER opened by human or machine.
WITH BOTH extensions still intact (set your PC to show you all and any extensions).

Download the package again -
Put the newly downloaded package on the Kindle and repeat trying to run with the searchbar command.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #2488
warflower

EXACTLY as downloaded....

but is archivated ....so ill put the file archivated?
Old 08-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #2489
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
EXACTLY as downloaded....

but is archivated ....so ill put the file archivated?
YES the command requires the archive form.
EXACTLY means: EXACTLY in this case.

Do not let your PC turn it into a "Safe" archive (mostly MacOSx users have that problem).
Old 08-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #2490
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
- - - -
If not, please reread the post in its entirety.
- - - -
If people think this one is too long, try the next masterpiece:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...29&postcount=1
Don't even try to read it, just try to scroll through it.
(And I am not done - Swifty would like all of those pictures.)