Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
what did you think? should we all slow down a bit and get devices which wont be freezing daily because we are asking to much?
There's enough different devices out there to satisfy most everyone. From bare-bones to whistles-and-bells. I think buying whatever happens to appeal to you personally is probably the way to go here... as always. I've owned two devices in my ereading career: one very old and bare-bones, and one very recent with whistles and bells. Both have performed as well as I'd hoped they would. I've not run into the "bugs, disappointment and daily freezes" yet. *shrugs*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #17
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
dictionaries, notes, annotations, chapters
All useful features for a book (!). Most vendors provide those already, one way or another.

Quote:
browser, chess, games,
Browser, perhaps, but not really necessary. Games? If I wanted to play I would've used a tablet.

Quote:
i want 1500 fonts
Nah, just let me provide my own.

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 12-19-2012 at 01:58 PM.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Simple with book organizing features and good dictionary. I like my T2 a lot for this. I can put a larger library on a microsd card and put books in any 'shelf' I like. I side load almost every thing, and don't use it for internet features. So for me, pretty much "bare bones" with reading related features as opposed to "recommendation" features. I also like the books' searchability (find a phrase or word anywhere in the book) and the library searchability so i can find a book on my shelf from anywhere.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
rah68
readaholic
rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD 8.9
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." A Einstien
rah68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
i do understand wish for more feautures, but like ive said, it is sometimes in contrast with simple reliability. i dont want to start operating systems flame war, but it s like android or such...endless list of features at the expense of reliability with daily rebooting, apps freezing, and countless bugs...the same with the ereaders. yes, we do have some advanced features but many of them are too cumbersome to use, or painfuly slow to use, or not working properly etc...for example today i have tried to check some word into dictionary. you know, it is almost laughably primitive and painful to work with. it s the experience i wouldnt like to repeat more than once a year on eink reader screen. what s the point with such feature if it s working like on some prehistoric devices...? that s the point i want to brought up...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #21
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Sounds like you're using the wrong device.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #22
rah68
readaholic
rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD 8.9
On my Kindle Paperwhite, i simply touch and hold the word and the definition appears.
Nothing could be simpler
rah68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
well...it seems to me that people are setting expectations too high regarding features in ebook readers (ebr). or some of them are just spoiled brats.
*I* am one of those spoiled brats.
My requests are simple:

- Page margins that can be set by user. Kindle, for example has three settings: Wide, Extremely Wide and Ridiculously Wide. Why can't I use the entire width of that expensive e-ink to display text?

- Font size that can be set by user. Why is it problem to present more than a small handful of sizes? Why can't I just enter font size by number or tweak it with a step of one point?

- Justification that can be set by user. Wide margins, combined with the relatively small width of the screen and lack of hyphenation create very uneven spaces between words. I personally find that distracting. Some people like full justification and some prefer left justified text. Why can't we choose?

- Hyphenation. Yes, there *are* e-ink readers that lack hyphenation. For example Kindle. Go and google up pictures of Gutenberg's bible. Even Mr. Gutenberg was able to typeset The Book with hyphenation, So why can't Amazon do that with their Kindle PW five hundred years later?

- Directories. Why do I have to organize my books in a flat list, or in a non-hierarchical collections?

If you want to hear a *really* wild request, listen to this:
- I want support for real typography. Contemporary devices have computing power comparable with serious desktop computers used 10-15 years ago. So why can't we have text rendered by an engine like LaTeX, or Adobe InDesign.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah68 View Post
On my Kindle Paperwhite, i simply touch and hold the word and the definition appears.
Nothing could be simpler
Yes. The dictionary implementation on the Kindle is excellent - as are the dictionaries themselves.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #25
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I don't think they should add more features. Instead, I would rather see the current features be considerably improved.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #26
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
The feature I want is Gorilla glass for eInk. Amazon would have saved money on this, as all my warranty returns have been for cracked screens. Or is there a technical incompatibility between eInk, and gorilla glass (including competing products)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Page margins that can be set by user. Kindle, for example has three settings: Wide, Extremely Wide and Ridiculously Wide. Why can't I use the entire width of that expensive e-ink to display text?
See: Kindle - How to Change Margin
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #27
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Depends on what you mean by features.
As for software, the Kindle mostly meets my needs (the only think I'd like is a slider button (either real or virtual) to flip quickly through books).

As for hardware, there are a lot of things I'd like, but I can't request features that don't exist. (Like radically higher contrast for e-ink: looks like they've stalled there and can't get it better?)
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #28
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
If you don't use a feature, it's a lot easier to not see the value in it. Someone else might find that feature highly useful. No one is a "spoiled brat" for wanting features. They are customers. If enough customers demand features, these features will be included. If not enough customers want these features, they won't be included. Customers are free to demand whatever features they wish. Of course, manufacturers are free not to provide these features, but customers may well take their business elsewhere. If there's a market for a bare-bones reader, someone will supply it.

Last edited by QuantumIguana; 12-19-2012 at 04:53 PM.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm extremely satisfied with the Kindle. Extremely stable (it's never crashed). Does exactly what I want. Excellent dictionaries. Great bookstore. When I'm reading I don't want to be distracted with e-mail, web browsing, etc. If I want that, I'll use my iPad.
Agreed. I primarily use my K2 and Kindle Fire. Does everything I want/need.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #30
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I've got everything I need right now. Any enhancements I'd be interested in would be to make existing features faster or better.

I don't need wi-fi -- I like the SD card. I'd like a choice of a couple of fonts with one being user supplied. I'd like the reader to be little smaller -- about the size of a mass market paperback. I'd like it to be faster when I call up a menu and after I make a selection.

But mostly I'm very happy with what I have.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote