Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Demon fantasy

I've been watching Supernatural and I'm really into all the plot.
So I was wondering if there is something similar for me to read? Some demon fantasy novels?

Thanks~
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Maybe the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Wizard PI in Chicago who fights big bads. First book is "Storm Front".There was a one-season TV-show that want too bad as well http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486657/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for rec. I'm looking for something more along the side of stand alone book, or 3-4 book series. As far as I know Dresden files is 14 book series.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucarda View Post
Thanks for rec. I'm looking for something more along the side of stand alone book, or 3-4 book series. As far as I know Dresden files is 14 book series.
Dresden is planned out to be a 20 book series with a trilogy ending. Book 14 is the latest to be released.

I've not watched Supernatural, so I can not make suggestons based on that, but if you're looking for Demons and Fantasy there is Kate Connor - Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom, with a fair mix of fun and butt-kicking (although Kate's decision making process frustrated me at times). There are 5 books in the series. The ending of book 5 is a fitting conclusion to the series, but is also open enough to have another story. I do not know if there will be another one or not.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Geralt
Witcher

I really dislike comedy in books. But thanks for rec anyway

Looking for something more grim and dark.
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucarda View Post
I've been watching Supernatural and I'm really into all the plot.
So I was wondering if there is something similar for me to read? Some demon fantasy novels?

Thanks~
Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory was one of my best discoveries in 2010.

(As I have never watched supernatural I do not know whether this is what you were seeking for. But it was the first thing that crossed my mind when you started talking about demons and I can strongely recommend it.)
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Soopy
Soopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I don't watch Supernatural but if you're looking for a book that has demons and is grim/dark/gritty, I would recommend The Demon Trilogy by Peter V. Brett. The 3rd book of the trilogy will be coming out next year.
Soopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Do you like novelizations? There are several Supernatural novels out that take place in and around the television series. You can search Amazon for them. I think most are available as Kindle versions.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Take a look at Jonathan Maberry's 'Ghost Road Blues' trilogy.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
God's Demon by Wayne Barlowe

''The powerful Lord Sargatanas, Brigadier-general in Beelzebub’s host, is restless. For millennia Sargatanas has ruled dutifully over an Infernal metropolis, but he has never forgotten what he lost in the Fall. He is sickened by what he has done and what he has become. Now, with a small event—a confrontation with a damned soul—he makes a decision that will reverberate through every being in Hell.* Sargatanas decides to attempt the impossible, to rebel, to win his way Home and bring with him anyone who chooses to follow...be they demon or soul.

He will stake everything on fighting all the abominable forces of Hell arrayed against him, when the prize is nothing less than redemption.''
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I quite liked a book by David Michael called The Summoning Fire. It's not a huge book at only about 200 pages, but I found it pretty dark and well-written.

Quote:
Reese Howard used to be an enforcer for the half-devil crime boss known as the Old Man. Now she has nothing. Her lover and partner, Sam, is dead. The Old Man betrayed them. He killed Sam in front of Reese, a blood sacrifice to fuel his latest power play in Hell on Earth. Reese hopes the Old Man made a mistake, leaving her alive. But she has no doubt he's waiting for her, beside The Summoning Fire.
I can't remember there being any humour in this. It's pretty grim.

Amazon (US) - Bit on the pricey side for an indie I guess, but I didn't mind.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Isn't Supernatural humorous at times? I understand that's TV and you're looking for books, but still...

I would think Richard Kadrey's "Sandman Slim" books would be right up any Supernatural fan's alley, but there is a bit of gallows humor and snark that comes with it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Isn't Supernatural humorous at times? I understand that's TV and you're looking for books, but still...
Don't they have quite a bit of nudge-nudge wink-wink gay innuendo in that show? Can't remember where I got that from but it was floating around somewhere. I haven't really watched the show myself. Is it good?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kara Gillian series by Diana Rowland

Check out the Kara Gillian series by Diana Rowland.

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #15
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Your avatar looks like The Witcher. Have you read any of the books in that series? The first two (The Last Wish and Blood of Elves)are translated into English, and the third translation (Times of Contempt) is due this coming February.

Last edited by rkomar; 12-11-2012 at 12:15 AM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote