Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & PW
Any regrets

I'm considering the iriver story, after coming across a review on the device. The screen resolution is very attractive to me, and I wonder if it's more suitable for me than the kindle 3. I'm getting the device mainly to read the Bible and perhaps done public domain books. I would prefer as device with regular firmware updates or even hacks by developers. But I do like that it supports various file formats.

So is the iriver story totally worth it to you, or would you not have chosen the device if you had known what you do now?
holgalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
It has the nicest screen of anything commonly available right now, supports hyphenation, and uses a very nice default font, and while I like having a touchscreen, it isn't essential. I'm fairly satisfied with my Story HD.

It has a few faults, but the thing is, right now there isn't a reader available that doesn't have at least one noteworthy shortcoming. I'd advise you to get either the Story HD (if the screen resolution is most important to you), the Nook Simple Touch (if you don't want to forego the touchscreen), or the Sony Reader Wi-Fi (if you're prepared to fiddle around and root your device to get more features).
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
karakai
karakai began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story HD
Dear forum members,

I am also considering to buy the iriver story HD wifi, and I have some questions regarding its functionality, what I have not found anywhere (maybe have not searched hard enough?)

- Can the device follow internal links in a document (eg: epub footnotes)
- Can the device handle TOC of pdf and epub well?
- Is it a visible ghosting in the long term use? (I saw some pictures of Kindle 4 units with horrible ghosting artifacts)

Thank You for your kind answers:
karak
karakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
ePUB links originally didn't work, but in the most recent firmwares they work great.
I've always been pleased with the TOC handling. If the document has one, the Story HD handles it. I just get annoyed with the pdfs and djvus without one.
Visible ghosting does occur, but I would call it only occasional and minor. I think it lasts only until the page changes again.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
karakai
karakai began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story HD
Thank You for Your quick reply.
Now, I think everything is clear for me.
karakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
I went through several types of ereaders before landing on the current iRiver device I am using. For good old fashioned reading, it works great. The screen is sharp, the "flash" as you flip between pages is minimal. I have not had any ghosting problems outside of a one-time happening when waking up from sleep. This, however, was corrected with a simple page flip and back.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & PW
Thank you for all your comments. It was not an easy decision, but I went ahead with ordering a Kindle Keyboard. If the iRiver had more features and hacks/support, I would have jumped at it. Also, I seem to read about the screen being fragile, which would be problematic for me as I tend to fall asleep reading and may put my elbow on it! I will keep tabs on the device though, it's really sweet!
holgalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
I hope you enjoy your Kindle KB. It's a well supported device to be sure. I would only add, as someone who broke their screen in the fashion you describe, that this is true of all the ereaders not just the Story HD. The display fronts are plastic, but the backs are glass and hence the inherent problem. There are some new designs with flexible backing, but I don't believe any of them are being used as yet in a commercial product.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote