Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Yet Again, Apple is the "iPhone Company"

Yet another chart from Business Insider on Apple's revenue stream. 53% of revenues are from the iPhone.

My guess is that "iTunes" refers to all the content sales -- music, ebooks, and movies.

Huge jump in revenues in the last quarter, though.

Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Ties into this graph, which shows Apple regaining ground lost to Android:

murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I contributed $145 (or whatever it is after Best Buy gets its cut) to Apple's coffers for my 8GB iPt4; but that's all they'll get out of me. I don't buy content from Apple.

I feel so much a part of the Apple family
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Just think...Apple makes 2/3 of it's money from products categories that it didn't participate in 5 years ago (iPhone, iPad).

Apple sells 3 times as many iPad's as Mac computers....even though Apple is selling more Macs now then they ever have.

Apple sells more iPads than HP sells PC's....and more iPad's than all desktop PC's combined.

Which is why Apple made more money this past quarter than any other company ever...except Exxon who made a bit more money once, in 2008.

Lee
leebase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Ties into this graph, which shows Apple regaining ground lost to Android:

Poor RIM. If only they had given more attention to the evolving demands of the consumer market.

Last edited by Dylrob; 01-25-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I am proud to say that Apple has never received a penny of my money, and it is very unlikely they ever will. I did win a free ipad last year, I tried it for a few hours and sold it the very next day. It just baffles the mind that they make any money at all let alone billions per year...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Been using and enjoying virus-free Apple products for over a decade now. Never had a problem with any of them. Am confused with this new trend of buying a new model of Apple gadgets every other year. These products are built to last. You don't have to upgrade them so regularly.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I feel so much a part of the Apple family
Well, monkey, we'll start calling you a pr-iMate.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I am proud to say that Apple has never received a penny of my money, and it is very unlikely they ever will.
Same here, except it's Microsoft that I've never willingly given a penny to from my own pocket.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Same here, except it's Microsoft that I've never willingly given a penny to from my own pocket.
So, have any Microsoft thugs shown up at your door and forced you to squeeze a few pennies from your pocket?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Apple is a great company and its products are good value for money. My life is enriched by using Apple products. I celebrate their success. - Fabe
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Wouldn't touch those babysitters for a minute.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
The key to Apple's success has always been based on two things.

1. Simplicity of use compared to its competitors: Microsoft, Nokia, Android, etc.
2. An aura of "high class" and "exclusive" because it was more expensive and because people that had money but weren't tech types could afford to use Apple products and get supposedly "cutting edge technology" that was comparatively painless to use.

That second item compares to Nike "Air Jordans" and luxury cars, and LA Laker Game seats and Super Bowl tickets

The first item is discussed rather frankly here:

Steve Wozniak On iPhone vs Android
Jamie Condliffe, Gizmodo.com

"Woz never fails to impress me. If the man has opinions, he doesn't mind sharing them, whatever the consequences. I just didn't expect him to openly admit to preferring many Android features over those of his iPhone..."

http://gizmodo.com/5876719/steve-woz...iphone-kind-of

Apple has good stuff, but I can't stand their strong arm sales techniques like iTunes or their new iBooks strategy.

The idea of giving access to your credit card just to get into your iPhone or iPod is rather too much. Sure if you are going to buy something, that needs to be done, but not to cut the device on.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
The idea of giving access to your credit card just to get into your iPhone or iPod is rather too much. Sure if you are going to buy something, that needs to be done, but not to cut the device on.
Who says you need to give Apple credit card information to use an iPod?
You can create an Apple account without a credit card.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I am proud to say that Apple has never received a penny of my money, and it is very unlikely they ever will. I did win a free ipad last year, I tried it for a few hours and sold it the very next day. It just baffles the mind that they make any money at all let alone billions per year...
Obviously they don't need our money! Hahaha. I'm also one of the few who's never so much as owned an iPod.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote