Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #16
ragdoll
Connoisseur
ragdoll began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad V1
Can't install mrxvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
[*] Once you have unzipped the program, you should see a folder called "mrxvt".[*] Simply copy this folder to the internal memory or CF card on your iLiad.[*] Browse to the correct directory from your iLiad, and select the line that says "mrxvt: Command Shell".[/list][/list]
I followed all the steps and copied mrvxt to h:\ (which is my iLiad's root), then I browse the main memory from the iLiad and can see mrvxt folder, but can't execute anything.
Where am I wrong?
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #17
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Has your iLiad downloaded the developer package and rebooted automatically?
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #18
ragdoll
Connoisseur

Quote:
Has your iLiad downloaded the developer package and rebooted automatically?
Yes, it has
Old 01-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest trying mrxvt version 0.3 from here. If it actually runs, any error messages will end up in run.err (which you can view from a Desktop via USB). Note that I have only ever tried running mrxvt from a CF card.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:18 AM   #20
ragdoll
Connoisseur

How do I create manifests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suggest trying mrxvt version 0.3 from here. If it actually runs, any error messages will end up in run.err (which you can view from a Desktop via USB). Note that I have only ever tried running mrxvt from a CF card.
Thank you, good advice, in fact, yesterday evening I downloaded and tried version 0.2 and it worked. Version 0.1 lacks manifest.
Btw, another question: I tried to create a manifest for version 0.1, except for the title and description it was the same as the 0.2 downloaded manifest, but it didn't work.
How are manifest files to be created?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #21
canfish
canfish began at the beginning.

Device: +27 (073) 2426052
Hi Adam B
Thanks for these very useful instructions. When can we read your post on "reflashing"? Given my inexperience it it a "must"

canfish
canfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #22
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Right below this one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17343
Old 02-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #23
canfish
canfish began at the beginning.

Device: +27 (073) 2426052
Thanks

Thanks.
Now all that I have to do is to pluck up the courage to try.
canfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #24
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Unless you are a developer, you should never need to reflash. However, the process does seem straight forward. Here is a recent example. Note that the time consuming part was updating from 2.10 to 2.11.

I hit the same problem as kkttmm3 (screwing with fonts currently puts you in the developer category unfortunately), and so I prepared to reflash. However, I was able to recover by removing the CF card. Putting all new programs on the CF card is a good approach, because it can be modified if necessary in a CF reader outside the iLiad.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #25
snowski55
snowski55 began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Still cannot get mrxvt working

Hello,

I just got my iliad, and tried following these instructions. I connected to iDS, it downloaded firmware 2.12 (software build number 21201), and I downloaded the developer package and the iliad rebooted automatically. I then got mrxvt v0.1, and have tried v0.2, v0.3, v0.4. I put them on my root folder, navigate to that folder and try to execute. When I try, the progress bar at the bottom moves, and the screen refreshes after about 1 second, but nothing has happened.

Is this a problem with:
1) firmware 2.12?
2) not having the developer package installed properly?
3) mrxvt?
4) other?

How do I know if the developer package/shell access is on my system? How do I find out what the problem is? How do I get mrxvt working?

Thank you,
Ben
snowski55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #26
felonius
felonius began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowski55 View Post
Hello,

I just got my iliad, and tried following these instructions. I connected to iDS, it downloaded firmware 2.12 (software build number 21201), and I downloaded the developer package and the iliad rebooted automatically. I then got mrxvt v0.1, and have tried v0.2, v0.3, v0.4. I put them on my root folder, navigate to that folder and try to execute. When I try, the progress bar at the bottom moves, and the screen refreshes after about 1 second, but nothing has happened.

Is this a problem with:
1) firmware 2.12?
2) not having the developer package installed properly?
3) mrxvt?
4) other?

How do I know if the developer package/shell access is on my system? How do I find out what the problem is? How do I get mrxvt working?

Thank you,
Ben

I'm having the same problem as Ben. I also tried running the FBReader installer with the same results.

I checked the .err files in the directory for mrxvt and they were empty.

I'm really wondering if this is a 2.12 thing... I've pushed the developer stuff to the iLliad twice, and it rebooted itself successfully both times.

More details from Device Identification:
Software version: 2.12
build number: 21200
Kernel version: 2.4.19-rmk7-pxa-irex1 #21200

Any information would be great on this.
felonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #27
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
In case it helps, I have no shell access problems with:

Build: 21201
Kernel: the same as yours, except #21100

So there are differences in the build number and whatever the number is at the end of the kernel name. But my build number is the same as snowski55's.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #28
felonius
felonius began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
In case it helps, I have no shell access problems with:

Build: 21201
Kernel: the same as yours, except #21100

So there are differences in the build number and whatever the number is at the end of the kernel name. But my build number is the same as snowski55's.
Did yours ship with 2.12? I acquired 2.12 via IDS. It looks like there may be a problem with some versions of 2.12 and shell access, according to: this thread.

I tried running the test script there, and it had no result. I also tried doing to the test to see if my iLliad could be reflashed (getting to the boot manager, etc.) and all that happens is that the screen goes "white" for a second, and the system restarts itself. I'm wondering if the Shell Access stuff just doesn't install correctly (even though I've tried about 4 times now).
felonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #29
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Do you have spaces in the folder names in the path to your shell script? That's usually the only reason it would fail...
Old 03-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #30
snowski55
snowski55 began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Quote:
Do you have spaces in the folder names in the path to your shell script? That's usually the only reason it would fail...
No, I have no spaces. The folder name is always just mrxvt. It did not ship with 2.12, it downloaded via iDS. It does look like exact same problem from the thread linked by

Quote:
Originally Posted by felonius View Post
Did yours ship with 2.12? I acquired 2.12 via IDS. It looks like there may be a problem with some versions of 2.12 and shell access, according to: this thread.

I tried running the test script there, and it had no result. I also tried doing to the test to see if my iLliad could be reflashed (getting to the boot manager, etc.) and all that happens is that the screen goes "white" for a second, and the system restarts itself. I'm wondering if the Shell Access stuff just doesn't install correctly (even though I've tried about 4 times now).
. What is going on here? Do I need to downgrade to v2.11? If so, then how do I do it?
snowski55 is offline   Reply With Quote