Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Question Custom Columns - How are you using yours?

Hello all:

I have found that I am using more custom columns than the native columns that come with Calibre. I find myself curious to know how are you all using your custom columns?

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I use them a lot. I have some for:

- Awards (if it won any awards, they are noted here)
- Formatting (checkbox if book had errors or format flaws)
- Free (so I can delete it, guilt-free, if I don't like it)
- Collection (regular, children, French, iPad so I can filter and only view a subset)
- Genre (so I can make a tree with it)
- Source (where I got the book)
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, forgot to add what I was using mine for:

- Page Number
- Editing Needed - a checkbox for books I identify that needs some type of editing of metadata
- Price
- Second Series
- Month Added - I like to keep statistical data of how many books I purchase a month
- Read - identifies if the book is read or not
- Kindle - a checkbox to identify if I want the book on my kindle or not
- DRM - if the book is DRM protected or not
- Plan to Buy - a checkbox to identify if I want to purchase the sample
- Bookmarks - identifies if a book has any notes or bookmarks, I like to keep track of which books has notes/bookmarks.
- Read on Kindle - more statistical data to help me identify whether read on kindle or a DTB book
- Purchased from - where I purchased the book
- Read Status - used for the fetch annotations and read status custom column
- Misc - used for random comments
- Download Annotations - used to identify which books need to have their annotations downloaded from the Kindle
- Tags2 - used for secondary tags, I do not like to have multiple tags in the tags field due to the directory structure I use on my kindle
- Goodreads Shelf - used to download the goodreads tags when using the Goodreads plugin
- Goodreads - used for the goodreads exclusive tags
- Modified Date
- Stripped/Shortened/Intitials - used for a metadata plugboard to rename the files with the series info on my kindle.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Nyn - chaley must be beside himself with glee looking at that list (since I believe he wrote the custom column functionality). You certainly qualify as a power custom column user to me...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Nyn - chaley must be beside himself with glee looking at that list (since I believe he wrote the custom column functionality). You certainly qualify as a power custom column user to me...
You see why I need that View Manager plugin, I have so many columns and I only use certain ones for certain tasks. Even with a 24" monitor I still run out of room to see all the ones I need.

Nyn
Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Just Five
Last Edited (by me) Date:
Flightcrew OK: Tristate Y/N (passed Flightcrew/failed or not tested)
Master Format: Text with permitted values
Read: Y/N
Pseudonym 4 Author: (A place for the authors real or Primary name) a recent WIP
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I'm actively using two libraries (I have another one I haven't started populating yet and plans for at least one, maybe two more). The main library has my books. I came back from a trip yesterday and my main computer refused to boot up (I'll drag it to the shop today or tomorrow) so I'm trying to remember which columns are custom. I have a sub-series column (the use should be apparent) and a format column. I use the format column to determine how many books I've scanned (they are all PDFs). I also have a column to determine which books are unread. No stars means I've read it. One star means I'll read it someday. Two stars means it's higher up on my reading list. Three stars are books on my immediate reading list (such as books in a series I'm currently reading). Four stars is for the book I'm currently reading (at home, I read from my TV screen which is patched into my computer). I have another column to show which books I have loaded onto my JBL e-book reader.

My comic book library uses a custom series column (I didn't want or need a series column that was numbered). I had to add a space in front of the column title to get calibre to let me use Series for the title. I also have an unnumbered sub-series column (the comic title has the issue number in it so numbering the subseries was both redundant and extra work). The only other custom column is the one for unread (I'm not planning on reading any of the comics soon so all I'm using is one star for unread).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Great thread, nyn. Good for ideas.

So far, I've only added:
  • Era (Tag-like, for centuries - lots of historical fiction/bio)
  • Notes
  • Ready (Checkmark, for whatever device needs it)
  • Read (date)
  • My Rating (Stars - how much I liked it if read, or how eager I am to read it if not)
  • Free (yes/no)
  • Source (limited, but should have used a tag type, because I need to add more options)
  • Formats

I've been using the tags for the following, but intend to add them as custom columns as soon as I think of an elegant way to do it:
  • Device/s it's on (Sony/KindleA/KindleB)
  • Family member whose device needs it
  • Queue (Checkmark to transfer on next connect)
  • Library (Date)
  • Another couple of tag columns for what tags are sent to sony vs kindle vs calibre. I'm dreading that.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Piper:

I like your free column, I think I will incorporate that one into my library since I am having trouble getting my Price column to give me the correct saved search.

Nyn
Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Just added my first custom column.... it was for "Short Title" as I read a lot of old (1700's, 1800's) works with very long names! Such as "Vermont riflemen in the war for the union, 1861 to 1865 / A history of Company F, First United States Sharp Shooters" It's short name is now "Vermont Company F, Sharps". I have so many PD books with long names I give all a short name and I display only the short name.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:20 AM   #11
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I've got two custom columns: A tristate boolean for distinguishing between text/reference books and everything else, and a column that creates the series prefix I like to have in front of my books (I hard-edit that into the metadata. Used that system since 0.6.x, way too lazy to build a new one.).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:11 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Let's see...

Language (Text, column show in the tag browser)

Formats ({formats}), because I want to see them

Version (Text, column show in the tag browser), I like to correct mistakes in my books, and I keep track of the version here.

Read (Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values), Read, Reading and Unread.

Year Read (Integers)

File Name ({#c_folder_name}/{#c_author_sort}{series:|/|}/{series_index:0>2s|| - }{#c_title} - v{#version:ifempty(0.0)}): easier to manage as custom column instead of save templates

Custom Read ({#read:|_|}): adding an underscore to Read, so it will be first in my Sony collections

Custom Author Sort (Text, column show in the tag browser): used in File Name

Custom Folder Name ({author_sort:switch(^[A-D],[A - D],^[E-J],[E - J],^[K-O],[K - O],^[P-T],[P - T],^[U-Z],[U - Z],[Other])}): used in File Name

Custom Language (_{#language}): adding an underscore to Language , so it will be first in my Sony collections

Custom Title ({title:re(.*? - .*? - (.*?),\1)}): used in File Name

Custom Title Sort ({#c_author_sort} - {series_index:0>2s|| - }{series:|| - } {#c_title}): used in my plugboard for the Sony, but it's not working

Full Title ({#c_author_sort} - {title} {#raw:switch(Yes, - [raw],)} - v{#version:ifempty(0.0)}): used in my plugboard for my MobiPocket devices

Extra Formats (Comma separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser): Now only containes Audible, but I play to add my pbooks there too.

Raw (Yes/No): If a book hasn't been reformatted yet, I designate it as Raw (all my books will be reformatted, as I prefer to read mobipocket on my WinCE devices and PDF (hand-made) on my Mini and Sony)

Updated (Yes/No): If I update a book (add a format, update its version, or add a new book, this flag will be set. I know which books to update on my devices then.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
At the moment I have just the one extra column, to show the month and year read.

However, I am thinking of introducing columns to show:

- number of mindless tags downloaded with metadata
- how many searches it took me to find a decent cover
- the number of typos found
- what the weather was like when I downloaded the book (do I buy more when it is sunny or raining? - Easy, it is rarely sunny and nearly always rains)
- if the purchase/acquisition was sanctioned by my wife
- how many custom columns I've got

philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #14
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
1. Where the book was acquired: Amazon, B&N, Author, etc.

2. Price

3. Read (Y/N)

4. Is it on my Kindle (for when my Kindle is not pluged in)

5. An additional Series column, for series within a series

6. A combination that adds the series name (and number), in abbreviated form, to the title of the books in said series. Both of which can be found HERE.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:41 AM   #15
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx
Greg Waddell began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
I'm using...
Type: a drop-down list for selecting.. journal article, book, brochure, lesson, presentation, etc.
Series: Language.. so far only two choices.. English and Spanish
Read: just a yes/no option
Greg Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote