Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
dude101
dude101 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Sony stuck at startup

Hi,

I've got a technical problem with my Sony prs-505, and I'm hoping someone can help me out (First post and all so sorry if that's not the correct forum, but I didn't find anywhere else to ask).

Yesterday the reader didn't work (Nothing happened when I turned it on), so I figured the battery is empty and hooked it up to the computer, to charge it.
About an hour later, when I tried again, it seemed to turn on (Though right at the start, there was a flesh of light horizontal grey lines), then turned off right back, as if it had just enough battery to turn on and off again.
Hooked it back to the PC, same thing.
Hooked it again and then it got stuck on the "starting up" screen, and has been stuck like that ever since.

Did anyone encounter this problem?
Dose anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks,
Alex
dude101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude101 View Post
Yesterday the reader didn't work (Nothing happened when I turned it on), so I figured the battery is empty and hooked it up to the computer, to charge it.
About an hour later, when I tried again, it seemed to turn on (Though right at the start, there was a flesh of light horizontal grey lines), then turned off right back, as if it had just enough battery to turn on and off again.
Plug it into a charger and let it charge overnight before turning it on again. One hour is probably not nearly enough.

If you have a real charger (5.2v with a coax plug) that would be best, otherwise the USB cable to your computer. Make sure your computer doesn't go into sleep mode while charging.
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Bane View Post
If you have a real charger (5.2v with a coax plug) that would be best..
However, first check if it has right polarity.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
scarter
scarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Having just gone through this with my daughter's 505, I second the recommendations to charge it fully, for at least 12 hours. If you don't have a plug-in charger, get a PSP charger from Target for $5 and use it instead. If it has a yellow barrel insulator, it will work. Then look on this board for a host of reset methods. My only recommendation is to use a large paper clip in the hole in the back of the 505, not a tiny one or a pin; they don't work. Try a soft reset, and then if that doesn't work, try a hard one.
scarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
dude101

Appreciate the help, everybody.

update: the reader got un-stuck, but shut down after a few seconds since the battery is nearly empty.
I actually did charge it overnight (about 9 hours) before I saw the comments, while it's shut down, but that didn't do any good. now I'm charging it while it's turned on, hoping that'll do some good.

One follow-up question, though: Should I leave it for 12 hours straight, or is it ok to split it into 6 hours now and 6 tomorrow?
(No charger, and my computer is kinda old, so I don't want to leave it turned on overnight again).
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
dude101

Update #2: Charged the reader for about 4 hours. Battery looks full and the reader appears to work fine.

Anything else I should do so the problem doesn't repeat itself?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Congratulations on getting your Reader going again. I have 2 505s, that are 2 years old, and they have never been turned off. I use a wall charger and make it a point to charge them every 2 weeks or as soon as it gets close to 1/4 battery.

The suggestion above, by scarter, about getting a cheap PSP charger from Target or even a Game Stop store is a good one. You don't have to worry about leaving your computer on and it will usually take less than 4 hours to completely charge up. Making sure to keep it charged will probably help with not having to deal with a problem like this again.

Click on my signature for more information on MR (MobileRead) about the Sony Reader.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #8
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Congratulations on getting your Reader going again. I have 2 505s, that are 2 years old, and they have never been turned off. I use a wall charger and make it a point to charge them every 2 weeks or as soon as it gets close to 1/4 battery.
Good advice - I've been doing the same since I got my 505 and am still on the original battery. I go about 2 weeks between charges.

Quote:
The suggestion above, by scarter, about getting a cheap PSP charger from Target or even a Game Stop store is a good one. You don't have to worry about leaving your computer on and it will usually take less than 4 hours to completely charge up. Making sure to keep it charged will probably help with not having to deal with a problem like this again.
Here's a cheap PSP charger (about $4.00 taxes and shipping included). Personally, I just use one of these, plugging the DIN connector into my 505 (not the micro-USB connector).
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote