Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #91
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
geek1011, will you add pop-up footnotes?
I may or may not. They should already work with epub3 when using the proper properties, but for epub2, I'm not sure how complex it is yet and how much slower it would make kepubify.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #92
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I may or may not. They should already work with epub3 when using the proper properties, but for epub2, I'm not sure how complex it is yet and how much slower it would make kepubify.
You shouldn't have to do anything. The kepub reader decides how to treat the link based the code in both the source and destination. If it looks like a footnote, the popup will usually be displayed. If it looks like a navigation link, it will navigate. It's not perfect, but, it usually works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #93
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You shouldn't have to do anything. The kepub reader decides how to treat the link based the code in both the source and destination. If it looks like a footnote, the popup will usually be displayed. If it looks like a navigation link, it will navigate. It's not perfect, but, it usually works.
Ok then, I guess I won't change anything...
Old 12-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #94
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Are you saying that Kobo have fixed the bug (??? negative enhancement feature) that we discussed back in September 2016?

I remember discussing the kepub pop-up problem and its workaround but I don't remember anyone ever having posted that the problem had gone away in a later firmware. I've been forcing a workable directory structure ever since (during the send-to-device process via a customised KTE driver). If I can stop doing that it should speed things up a bit.

@geek1011, If I gave you outdated info, I do apologise.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #95
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Are you saying that Kobo have fixed the bug (??? negative enhancement feature) that we discussed back in September 2016?

I remember discussing the kepub pop-up problem and its workaround but I don't remember anyone ever having posted that the problem had gone away in a later firmware. I've been forcing a workable directory structure ever since (during the send-to-device process via a customised KTE driver). If I can stop doing that it should speed things up a bit.

TBH, I know almost nothing about footnotes on the kepub reader, as I don't use them myself.

Don't feel bad about giving me outdated info, at least it's better then no info at all .
Old 12-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #96
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I would have said that it had been fixed, but I haven't tested recently. I'll test it tonight (if I remember).
Quote:

I missed what you were asking and was really responding to a later comments. Which I took a request to enable footnotes rather than a workaround to fix a bug.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #97
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
The kepub reader decides how to treat the link based the code in both the source and destination. If it looks like a footnote, the popup will usually be displayed. If it looks like a navigation link, it will navigate. It's not perfect, but, it usually works.
So, if it looks at both source and destination, what would have to change in one or the other in calibre news recipes to make TOC page entries not be treated as footnotes?
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:09 AM   #98
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
So, if it looks at both source and destination, what would have to change in one or the other in calibre news recipes to make TOC page entries not be treated as footnotes?
Absolutely no idea. I don't use the news recipes so I don't know how they are constructed.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:10 AM   #99
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Absolutely no idea. I don't use the news recipes so I don't know how they are constructed.
I was hoping for more details about what it looks for in source and destination to determine it is a footnote than asking you to look at the news recipes....
Old 12-24-2017, 06:47 AM   #100
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I was hoping for more details about what it looks for in source and destination to determine it is a footnote than asking you to look at the news recipes....
Unfortunately, it's one of those things that I have to look at each time. I'm not completely sure what the rules are and don't do it enough to remember them off the top of my head. But, there are several discussions here and in the calibre forum about it. At least one has a sample book I have fiddled with when testing. I think a lot of the rules are in it.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:15 AM   #101
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Unfortunately, it's one of those things that I have to look at each time. I'm not completely sure what the rules are and don't do it enough to remember them off the top of my head. But, there are several discussions here and in the calibre forum about it. At least one has a sample book I have fiddled with when testing. I think a lot of the rules are in it.
There is a spec in github.com/kobolabs. They have an epub spec with the footnote heuristic rules.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #102
compurandom
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
There is a spec in github.com/kobolabs. They have an epub spec with the footnote heuristic rules.
Oooh! Bookmarked. I'll have to browse through that. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #103
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Oooh! Bookmarked. I'll have to browse through that. Thanks.
Yes, it's a good read. But unfortunately, it gives no info about Kobo spans. Too bad they didn't offer the spec as a kepub download.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #104
RedHeron
RedHeron began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
I've noticed something strange.

If an epub uses <p>&nbsp;</p> to make a space, kepubify seems to ignore it, and there is no space.

But if I use the Calibre plugin to convert to kepub, <p>&nbsp;</p> still works and there is a space.
RedHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #105
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I would have said that it had been fixed, but I haven't tested recently. I'll test it tonight (if I remember).

I missed what you were asking and was really responding to a later comments. Which I took a request to enable footnotes rather than a workaround to fix a bug.
I'm curious about this as well, and pardon my lack of experience on the point. But I do have several kepubs that display footnotes erratically, a problem because I have many books with needed footnotes. In one recent case, the popup shows about a third of the time, but on the same page I will often then get a link to a footnote page. This is problematic because it slows reading and causes multiple page refreshes.

My question is: Is this entirely a kepub issue, or would the same book in epub also have the same problem? My hunch is the it may be something in kepub, but I would appreciate guidance. Many thanks!

Paul
gilster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, epub, kepub, tool