Enthusiast
LoganW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis 2
Where?
LoganW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #47
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I’m looking at my cheap ESQ watch as I write this. I find devices other than my iPhone to be unreliable
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:55 AM   #48
badtux
badtux began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx BOOX Nova Pro
On the clock front, computer clock chips are ridiculously bad. 5 minutes per week clock drift isn't unusual even on $20,000 servers. The usual excuse you're given is "connect it to the Internet so it can get the time". Amazon doesn't make the chips in the Kindles, so has no ability to make the clock work any better.

Note that my Jeep Wrangler's clock (displayed on the face of the stereo head) lost 5 minutes per week too. And that thing costed $35,000! And couldn't sync to the Internet, so I was always resetting the clock on the thing. Bad clocks are just a plague upon the tech world right now. SIGH.

Back to the shape thing -- I wish there was a battery case for the Oasis 2. That would solve two problems -- it'd solve the battery life problem, and it'd solve the "it doesn't lie flat on the table" problem. Maybe there is, and I just haven't found it on Amazon's site yet? Dunno....
badtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #49
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytop View Post
I checked it before I wrote my post. It is an option.
Can you please say where you found that option? I'm not seeing it in the settings for my Kindle. When I look at the "Device Time" option, the only thing there is manually changing the time.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #50
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Can you please say where you found that option? I'm not seeing it in the settings for my Kindle. When I look at the "Device Time" option, the only thing there is manually changing the time.

Shari
I looked and it depends on device. Both my PW3 and O2 are still on 5.9.2.0.1, the PW3 does not allow automatic time syncing while the Oasis does.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #51
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I looked and it depends on device. Both my PW3 and O2 are still on 5.9.2.0.1, the PW3 does not allow automatic time syncing while the Oasis does.
My O2 is also on 5.9.2.0.1 and there's no sync time option.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #52
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
My O2 is also on 5.9.2.0.1 and there's no sync time option.
Mine is under (All) Settings->Device Options->Device Time. There you can either set manually or a option of Set Automatically (ON/OFF).

Mine is the 3G version, I check later if the non-cell version has that option or not.

ETA: Yes, the cell feature makes the difference. Regular (32 gb) O2 does not have the automatic time. The only other 3G Kindle I have is an old KT, which also has automatic time setting as option.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-10-2018 at 08:13 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #53
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Yes mine's the Wifi version.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #54
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The accuracy of clock chips seems to vary wildly from individual device to device. My Oasis 2 has been in aeroplane mode for more than 2 months now, and the clock is 3 minutes out.
Mine has been on airplane mode for 1 month, and is within 1 minute correct!

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-11-2018 at 09:56 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #55
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
On the clock front, computer clock chips are ridiculously bad. 5 minutes per week clock drift isn't unusual even on $20,000 servers. The usual excuse you're given is "connect it to the Internet so it can get the time". Amazon doesn't make the chips in the Kindles, so has no ability to make the clock work any better.

Note that my Jeep Wrangler's clock (displayed on the face of the stereo head) lost 5 minutes per week too. And that thing costed $35,000! And couldn't sync to the Internet, so I was always resetting the clock on the thing. Bad clocks are just a plague upon the tech world right now. SIGH.

Back to the shape thing -- I wish there was a battery case for the Oasis 2. That would solve two problems -- it'd solve the battery life problem, and it'd solve the "it doesn't lie flat on the table" problem. Maybe there is, and I just haven't found it on Amazon's site yet? Dunno....
I've never owned or even seen a computer being off by more than 5 minutes in a year!
I think they are off when you overclock your device (change the clock and cpu modifiers).
But standard PC's are very reliable!
Even cheap $300 ones!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #56
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I've never owned or even seen a computer being off by more than 5 minutes in a year!
I think they are off when you overclock your device (change the clock and cpu modifiers).
Even cheap $300 ones!
It's temperature. If your local temperature is much different from that of the people who designed the chip housing the clock, you'll see major drift. I routinely see a drift of several seconds a day even on $100,000 mega-servers. Apparently spending $5 for a better clock is not worth it if it means they don't get to use the same hardware right across their cheapest to most expensive systems. It's not like the clock chip accuracy *matters* much: ntpd will keep the clock synchronized in any case.

(In the Kindle's case, it corrects every time you connect via wifi, but often fails to adjust for daylight saving time changes, and *also* loses the time every time you hard-reset it. This is downright ridiculous, really, given that the Olson timezone database which lets you accurately adjust to DST changes anywhere in the world is far older than the Kindle and *the Kindle has a copy of it*, in fact at one point it had two distinct copies. It just doesn't bother to consult either in the user-interface code.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #57
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Even cheap $300 ones!
Our server at work sets the clock on our local computers--it seems to gain a minute every couple of months. It'll be off by as much as 10 minutes before the techs notice and correct it.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:09 AM   #58
badtux
badtux began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx BOOX Nova Pro
Quote:
Most likely you've owned Internet-connected computers. Windows ever since Windows XP automatically goes out to time servers on the Internet to set its clock, or to a domain server that does so anyhow. Those time servers on the Internet in turn get their time from the atomic clocks run by the National Institute of Standards. I, on the other hand, work with very large server computers that are not allowed to talk to the Internet (as in, $20K and up server computers that either serve large amounts of data to isolated networks or provide virtual machines to isolated networks). I noticed quickly that everything was going out of sync with great rapidity, which impacts Kerberos (a large network authentication protocol) and other such time-sensitive protocols very severely. I ended up having to set up a time server on a bastion host that set its time from the Internet then have everybody else get their time from that bastion host because the clocks on these servers were drifting by about 30 seconds per week.

Point: Computer clocks suck because computer vendors figure you'll just get your time from the Internet.

(And as someone else pointed out, temperature is a big issue there too... my clocks get slower during the winter, when the average temperature of my server room declines to around 60F from its summer average of about 75F).

So anyhow, I'm not upset about the Oasis clock being inaccurate. As long as it auto-syncs its time with Amazon's servers at the same time that it syncs everything else I'm happy.
badtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #59
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I, on the other hand, work with very large server computers that are not allowed to talk to the Internet.
That's where time servers based on CDMA or GPS come in handy.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #60
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Most likely you've owned Internet-connected computers. Windows ever since Windows XP automatically goes out to time servers on the Internet to set its clock, or to a domain server that does so anyhow. Those time servers on the Internet in turn get their time from the atomic clocks run by the National Institute of Standards. I, on the other hand, work with very large server computers that are not allowed to talk to the Internet (as in, $20K and up server computers that either serve large amounts of data to isolated networks or provide virtual machines to isolated networks). I noticed quickly that everything was going out of sync with great rapidity, which impacts Kerberos (a large network authentication protocol) and other such time-sensitive protocols very severely. I ended up having to set up a time server on a bastion host that set its time from the Internet then have everybody else get their time from that bastion host because the clocks on these servers were drifting by about 30 seconds per week.

Point: Computer clocks suck because computer vendors figure you'll just get your time from the Internet.

(And as someone else pointed out, temperature is a big issue there too... my clocks get slower during the winter, when the average temperature of my server room declines to around 60F from its summer average of about 75F).

So anyhow, I'm not upset about the Oasis clock being inaccurate. As long as it auto-syncs its time with Amazon's servers at the same time that it syncs everything else I'm happy.
Some of my devices connect to the internet, sometimes.
I don't really have an exclusive offline pc, as every pc I own, will need updating at least once a year.
Even laptops or tablets.