Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Reading Goal

Should audio books count toward a reading goal?
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Your goal, your call.

That said, I don't see why not. You've consumed the content and that's the main point, isn't it?

Just as an aside, for me it's all about the tense and the voice. I never say I'm reading a book I'm listening to, but once I'm done I count it as having been read.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:09 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Yes, most definitely! Format doesn't matter.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
What would be the justification for NOT counting audiobooks?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Some people (not me) feel that people will multitask when listening to an audiobook. I've seem some complain they couldn't have possibly absorbed everything. Others say "it's not fair" because reading (versus listening) means you *can't* multitask, so why should those who listen to audiobooks get credit for doing two things at once.

For me, it can actually go both ways. When I first started listening to audiobooks, I mostly listened to books I'd already read. I'd get distracted, and having already read the books allowed me to jump back in without necessarily having to back track too much. I was amazed, however, at how much sounded new to me - details I obviously skimmed when I was reading.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Some people (not me) feel that people will multitask when listening to an audiobook. I've seem some complain they couldn't have possibly absorbed everything. Others say "it's not fair" because reading (versus listening) means you *can't* multitask, so why should those who listen to audiobooks get credit for doing two things at once.

For me, it can actually go both ways. When I first started listening to audiobooks, I mostly listened to books I'd already read. I'd get distracted, and having already read the books allowed me to jump back in without necessarily having to back track too much. I was amazed, however, at how much sounded new to me - details I obviously skimmed when I was reading.
I multitask when reading text, too, although it's usually limited to listening to music or watching TV. Audiobooks give me a lot more scope for multitasking.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:09 AM   #7
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

It takes me 4 to 6 times longer to finish an audiobook than to read actual text. Not only that, but I have no problem skimming over parts of a text that don't interest me, which I can't do when I'm listening! Does that mean I shouldn't include books where I don't read Every Single Word? I might as well give up on my goal list if I did that!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:01 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would include audiobooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:35 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I have no problem skimming over parts of a text that don't interest me, which I can't do when I'm listening!
Yeah that part can such....my mom was listening to the Left Behind series and couldn't skip over the endless proselytizing. Whereas I read them and skipped over all that.

Here's what's annoying....the teacher read a book to her 6th grade class, but she says to take a test for points the kids have to read it on their own. I find that ridiculous. She (my daughter) is now reading it aloud to me. Then she will take the test. Though I think the teacher read an abridged or sanitized edition, as the copy she is reading to me is a little different. (Indian in the Cupboard)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Absolutely. I listen to audiobooks all the time. I don't miss any detail. For me there's no difference other than having a narrator make a boring book better. I don't multitask. My reading time is my time to relax and escape. I put my earbuds in and close my eyes then escape into the story.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Absolutely. I listen to audiobooks all the time. I don't miss any detail.
I listen to audiobooks and miss details and I read ebooks and miss details. So, I don't see a difference

(that's why I reread, with rereading I often see things I've not seen the first time, or have forgotten )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I listen to audiobooks and miss details and I read ebooks and miss details. So, I don't see a difference

(that's why I reread, with rereading I often see things I've not seen the first time, or have forgotten )
I am told I'm very detailed oriented. So I seldom miss anything reading or listening to a book. Remembering... well that's up to the author to make her book stick in my mind. My memories are like files on a old Celeron. One I access the file it may take a bit to get the data but it's all there. lol

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #13
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
I usually listen to one book a day. But I listen while at work. I have no problem typing, filing or doing any number of other administrative task while listening. Everyone I work with knows that if they need something from me to tap my shoulder (or throw something at me) because I am absorbed in the book. My boss has even stated I get the most work completed because I am not busy talking to others, playing on my phone or other non-related work stuff.

I am counting the audio books I listen to as books I have read. I can remember details about the book. I ask because someone on a different site stated that audio books should not count toward a reading goal. I feel they should count.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote