Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #16
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
You're right, waterproof stereo jacks do appear to exist (I didn't previously know that). However I rather doubt if a designer, having gone to the expense of an aluminium alloy chassis (where most eReaders are plastic), would balk at the expense of a waterproof jack. Far more likely that it was a design issue (e.g. space, structural integrity and/or the designer simply thinking that Bluetooth covered it).
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #17
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Hmm a voyage quality screen with open android and external audio support,think I might be interested in this as long as the build quality is good,been burned before by shoddyly built android ereaders so I'll have to wait for user reviews first.

Funny they even use the same kindle voyage screen savers in the promo stuff lol

Like others have said would of preferred a bigger screen but seeing as the voyage screen is of such high quality I could make the trade off as a larger screen of that class seems to be along way aways

Last edited by Jason90; 04-24-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #18
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason90 View Post
Hmm a voyage quality screen with open android and external audio support,think I might be interested in this as long as the build quality is good,been burned before by shoddyly built android ereaders so I'll have to wait for user reviews first.
O-B already has "a voyage quality screen with open android and external audio support" in the C67ML Carta 2 (reviewed on an earlier thread). From the aluminium alloy chassis, the Kepler Pro appears to have "build quality" coming out its ears. My only question mark over it is the somewhat-unorthodox page-turn buttons (usability & durability).
Old 04-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #19
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
O-B already has "a voyage quality screen with open android and external audio support" in the C67ML Carta 2 (reviewed on an earlier thread). From the aluminium alloy chassis, the Kepler Pro appears to have "build quality" coming out its ears. My only question mark over it is the somewhat-unorthodox page-turn buttons (usability & durability).
Those page turn buttons are not unorthodox though.
People like myself who also read on tablets and smartphones have been asking for a return to page turn buttons on the side of the case in an electronic ink device for a long time.

Look at where the rocker switch is on an old Aztak Pocket Pro.
Or the volume switches on a Samsung Galaxy Note series phone.

The switches are in a tried and tested location.

Switch location here makes helps me want this more than a waterproof Voyage. The switches together with a waterproof MicroSD slot.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #20
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Those page turn buttons are not unorthodox though.
People like myself who also read on tablets and smartphones have been asking for a return to page turn buttons on the side of the case in an electronic ink device for a long time.

Look at where the rocker switch is on an old Aztak Pocket Pro.
Or the volume switches on a Samsung Galaxy Note series phone.

The switches are in a tried and tested location.

Switch location here makes helps me want this more than a waterproof Voyage. The switches together with a waterproof MicroSD slot.
I read (comics) on my tablet (Samsung Tab S 10.5) and, although the volume control buttons can be used as page turn buttons, I find them too high up, and too close to each other (and to the power button, given I have to find them by touch) to be particularly useful.

Yes, they are "unorthodox" for eReader page-turn buttons, which are typically placed on the sides of the front of the eReader (sometimes both on one side, or both on both sides, but more typically one on each), and seldom asymmetrically towards the top -- the typical placement being where they are clearly visible, and more easily accessible.

Most smartphone/tablet users seem to mostly use the touchscreen for navigation, leading me to, not unreasonably, have questions over the durability for this type of button, when subjected to hundreds of page turns per day. I have worn out the buttons I used for page turning on my last two eReaders, so this is an issue that tends to concern me.

I would also point out that we have no definitive word that the Kepler Pro is waterproof, only a vague comment on a video that one of the three Kepler models will be waterproof, and the fact that the Pro uses wireless rather than wired audio.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #21
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Yes, they are "unorthodox" for eReader page-turn buttons, which are typically placed on the sides of the front of the eReader (sometimes both on one side, or both on both sides, but more typically one on each), and seldom asymmetrically towards the top -- the typical placement being where they are clearly visible, and more easily accessible.
Well, Kepler IS an unorthodox device, isn't it?

Many previous generations of e-ink readers did not have touch screen, so they all did rely on page turn buttons. And I have read only very few complaints about worn-out buttons (relative to the number of readers out there)

By the way, PocketBook Ultra has buttons on the back. I couldn't get used to those when I was testing it for a review.

The fancier model of Tolino reader from Deutsche Telekom - Tolino Vision 3HD - has tap2flip function - you simply tap the back of the device and it has sensor inside that registers the tiny shock and turns page.
Oh ... and it is waterproof and has 300dpi screen under flush glass front.

PocketBook 360° had G-sensor - so that the display would rotate. Just like many other readers, like Kindle Voyage, or the vast majority of phones/tablets.
Somebody modified its reading app and created FBReader 180. With FBReader 180 you could turn page by slightly tilting the device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #22
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Well, Kepler IS an unorthodox device, isn't it?
Other than its button placement (which is the issue under discussion) and its chassis material (which is more of an enhancement than an outright revolution), not so much.

Quote:
By the way, PocketBook Ultra has buttons on the back. I couldn't get used to those when I was testing it for a review.
I know, and although it was considered to be an interesting experiment, it does not appear to be regarded by reviewers or competitors as a particularly successful one, and has not caught on. I'm not against experimentation, merely cautious as to buying into its results until they've been field-tested.

Quote:
PocketBook 360° had G-sensor - so that the display would rotate. Just like many other readers, like Kindle Voyage, or the vast majority of phones/tablets.
Somebody modified its reading app and created FBReader 180. With FBReader 180 you could turn page by slightly tilting the device.
I know. I had one, and never could get that feature to work properly. It would have been handy too, as I found the page-turn buttons on it too large and stiff to be useful, so used the D-pad for page turning (to the extent that it eventually got to the stage that it squished rather than clicked because I'd used it so much). One feature of the 360° that I absolutely adored was the clip-on plastic case.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #23
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I read (comics) on my tablet (Samsung Tab S 10.5) and, although the volume control buttons can be used as page turn buttons, I find them too high up, and too close to each other (and to the power button, given I have to find them by touch) to be particularly useful.

Most smartphone/tablet users seem to mostly use the touchscreen for navigation, leading me to, not unreasonably, have questions over the durability for this type of button, when subjected to hundreds of page turns per day. I have worn out the buttons I used for page turning on my last two eReaders, so this is an issue that tends to concern me.

I would also point out that we have no definitive word that the Kepler Pro is waterproof, only a vague comment on a video that one of the three Kepler models will be waterproof, and the fact that the Pro uses wireless rather than wired audio.
So an integral part of the rebuttal to my point was that side buttons are difficult to use for page turns... on a device with a ten and a half inch screen?

Is there any possibility that you could become convinced that some people hold six inch screen divides one handed, and that page turns with side buttons only require a slight tightening of their grip?

Clearly there is a level of differences between your perception and my perception that is rooted at the very basic level of how we hold the devices in question.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I beg to differ. With the Onyx Max, N96, i86, & T68 they've put an enormous emphasis on large-screen models recently. All that's been coming out for 6" in recent years is screen-tech updates to the venerable C67 range. I think it's well past time the 6" market got a bit of love from Onyx-Boox.
There are other Kepler models that can stay at 6" and the Pro can be larger. I'm not saying it needs to be 9.7", 6.8" would be good. That .8" makes a big difference.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #25
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are other Kepler models that can stay at 6" and the Pro can be larger. I'm not saying it needs to be 9.7", 6.8" would be good. That .8" makes a big difference.

And in a negative rather than positive way.

As it stands, we have seen the Kepler Pro in the Charbax video and it is a six inch device. Onyx isn't going to retool production at this late date.

Last edited by Phogg; 04-25-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:16 AM   #26
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
So an integral part of the rebuttal to my point was that side buttons are difficult to use for page turns... on a device with a ten and a half inch screen?
No, the "integral part of the rebuttal" is that an eReader is NOT a tablet OR a smartphone. They tend to be designed in different ways, used in different ways, have differing ergonomics, and differing likely points of failure.

Quote:
Is there any possibility that you could become convinced that some people hold six inch screen divides one handed, and that page turns with side buttons only require a slight tightening of their grip?
I hold my 6" eReader one handed. I cradle it with my thumb on the right, my next three fingers on the left, and my pinky at the bottom. Yes, if the page turn buttons were on the middle of the side, I might be able to turn them with only "a slight tightening of their grip", with the buttons towards the top of the sides (and who holds an eReader near the top), not so much.

Quote:
Clearly there is a level of differences between your perception and my perception that is rooted at the very basic level of how we hold the devices in question.
Yes, you seem to 'perceive' my having mere question marks over an unfamiliar and unorthodox page turn button arrangement as some form of blasphemy. The Kepler Pro will most likely be my next eReader, but I will read any reviews available for commentary on the page turn buttons first. I was looking quite seriously at the PB Ultra when it first came out, but my enthusiasm quickly dissipated when I read reviews that were less-than-enthusiastic about its unfamiliar and unorthodox page turn button arrangement.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #27
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would point out that the N96 shares a similar design (including aluminium alloy chassis) to the K-Pro. If you want a large, premium eReader, it would not be an unreasonable choice.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:33 AM   #28
Hrafn
Fanatic

Possible route for wired audio for the Kepler Pro?

A while back, the issue was raised of lack of wired audio support on the Kepler Pro. Recently Amazon released a Kindle Audio Adapter for audio-less Kindles, which has spurred people to work out "How to Make Your Own Kindle Audio Adapter for Under $2", using "a regular micro-USB OTG cable and USB sound card adapter". It occurred to me that it is possible that a similar technique might work with the Kepler Pro -- a bit clunky perhaps, but an option for those for whom wired audio is a must have.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #29
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness

It's the middle of May now.
No advertisements yet at eReader-store or any of the other retailers I have checked.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #30
Hrafn
Fanatic

I would note that ereader-store.de currently doesn't advertise any 6" eReaders. AFAIK, the only stores stocking even the several-months-old C67 Carta 2 are The Russian store and Onyx-Boox's own TMall store. Retailer coverage of specific O-B devices is becoming increasingly spotty.

[Correction: www.e-readerweb.nl also stocks the C67 Carta 2.]

Last edited by Hrafn; 05-17-2016 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Correction