Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-26-2021, 08:22 AM   #46
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I’m thinking about getting a new Mac after the first of the year, so I’ve been spending a little time going over the specs of the M1 and M1X models. I put together a brief spreadsheet to compare various models with similar options. I decided to equip them with an M1 processor, 8 core CPU, 8 core GPU, 16 core neural engine, 16 GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD. The one exception is the new MacBook Pro 14” which has an M1X Pro processor and a 14 core GPU. They are equipped thusly to make them more capable of doing photo and video editing and post processing on what I’ll call an enthusiasts level—not quite professional but well beyond what is done for social media posting. They are still rather entry level though as that is more in line with what I can afford.

At any rate, the attached image shows the spreadsheet chart. I’m leaning toward the Mac mini as I already have a good monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. I thought I would post this in case anyone wants to take a quick look at the price range between similarly equipped Mac models.

….
Interesting. Not surprising that the mac mini is the most inexpensive option if you already have a screen, keyboard and mouse/pad. I do need to get a new mac, but I think I'm going to wait until the new macs come out in Spring. I'm currently leaning to a maxed out mac mini if the rumors about it are true. The rumored 30 inch iMac sounds really nice, but if the price tag is anything like the price tag for the just announced macbook pro, it's going to be really hard to justify buying it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #47
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Interesting. Not surprising that the mac mini is the most inexpensive option if you already have a screen, keyboard and mouse/pad. I do need to get a new mac, but I think I'm going to wait until the new macs come out in Spring. I'm currently leaning to a maxed out mac mini if the rumors about it are true. The rumored 30 inch iMac sounds really nice, but if the price tag is anything like the price tag for the just announced macbook pro, it's going to be really hard to justify buying it.
I'm sure I will have to wait until spring as well because it will take a while to raise the money. I'm pretty much going to have to stay on the lower end though since I’m retired now. Most likely I will have to go with either the mini or the MacBook Air. The other options probably will be over my spending limit.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2021, 02:10 PM   #48
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I got the 3rd generation AirPods yesterday. I have AirPods Pro, but as mentioned earlier one of them has issue (with microphone) and while I should be able to replace it via AppleCare+ they quoted me a ridiculous price for replacement, and I haven’t gotten around to trying it again. And even after replacing, not sure it will be good as slightly used (it’s okay now, but for a little extra noise in Transparancy/NC mode).

The AirPods 3 are noticeably lighter than the AirPods Pro in-ear and in charging case (which is smaller as well). I’m very impressed with time between charges (the Pros are lucky to get 3 hours). For me they are more comfortable, with the Pros one of the pods keeps sliding out of position (it’s never actually popped out) and I have to shove it in to keep the sound balanced, and these won’t have that issue. Supposed to be more water resistant.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote