Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2020, 05:14 AM   #61
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
https://github.com/ezdiy/pbjb/releases/tag/v7

* Updated the root method for newer devices. Older devices may now fail, please report fw versions.
* Fixed broken dhcp on usbnet (now gives out ip properly on linux)
* Fixed broken suspend mishaps
* Fixed usbnet for 6.x firmwares
* Uninstallers are now builtin into each .app. There's no longer Uninstall.app, and the one from older versions shouldn't be used.

@HelloWorld: Yes, it's too new. Try v7.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:01 AM   #62
HelloWorld
HelloWorld began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Color
@ezdiy Thanks for the reply. I've downloaded v7, but it still does not seem to work properly. I now get the message "Root installed", but it seems "su" still wasn't installed properly. Services.app silently fails to run (as described in your first post) and running Jailbreak.app just asks again whether I want to install root, not asking if I want to remove root. Running "/mnt/secure/su" manually gives me a "Permission denied" error, while running "su" (without path) gives tells me that I "must be suid to work properly".
HelloWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2020, 07:13 AM   #63
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorld View Post
@ezdiy Thanks for the reply. I've downloaded v7, but it still does not seem to work properly. I now get the message "Root installed", but it seems "su" still wasn't installed properly. Services.app silently fails to run (as described in your first post) and running Jailbreak.app just asks again whether I want to install root, not asking if I want to remove root. Running "/mnt/secure/su" manually gives me a "Permission denied" error, while running "su" (without path) gives tells me that I "must be suid to work properly".
Try v7.7. Even if it fails, it should now leave working su in /var/tmp/su, so you should be able to run:

Code:
/var/tmp/su /sbin/dropbear -p 2222 -G ""
Then you can ssh root@ip with empty password to get working root and try figure out whats wrong with /mnt/secure.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:34 AM   #64
HelloWorld
HelloWorld began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Color
I've build the app from the latest source in the github repo and now "/mnt/secure/su" and Services.app work properly. Thanks

Although I still have no idea why it didn't work before...
HelloWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:44 AM   #65
ezdiy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorld View Post
I've build the app from the latest source in the github repo and now "/mnt/secure/su" and Services.app work properly. Thanks

Although I still have no idea why it didn't work before...
Turns out it was just general bug in v7 (it didn't work on any devices that had no root before). Fixed - i hope - in https://github.com/ezdiy/pbjb/commit...f3acf485b4c0f4
Advert
Old 08-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #66
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Thanks for your work @ezdiy. It makes messing with Pocketbooks waaaaay easier.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:30 AM   #67
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
I really like your work but got some problems with release: pbjb-v6-3-g671d61c
on a PB 631 with FW 5.20.1527.

1) If all services are enabled and device is connected to a windows machine, /mnt/ext1 will not be mounted as USB device but some drive with Linux content, I guess it is dev/mmcblk0p1. The partition layout on the PB631 is:
dev/mmcblk0p1=?
dev/mmcblk0p2=?
dev/mmcblk0p3=/mnt/secure
dev/mmcblk0p4=PB631=Dospartition=mnt/ext1
I don't have a boot partition or can't find it, boot folder is empty.
Problem is solved by disabling services.

2) If external SD is inserted some strange 60MB Partition is shown as memory under settings instead of the external SD, my guess is, it is either dev/mmcblk0p1 or dev/mmcblk0p2, but library has access to the external SD and the SD is mounted correct via USB.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 08-27-2020 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Clarification of point 2.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:28 PM   #68
ezdiy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
I really like your work but got some problems with release: pbjb-v6-3-g671d61c
on a PB 631 with FW 5.20.1527.

1) If all services are enabled and device is connected to a windows machine, /mnt/ext1 will not be mounted as USB device but some drive with Linux content, I guess it is dev/mmcblk0p1. The partition layout on the PB631 is:
dev/mmcblk0p1=?
dev/mmcblk0p2=?
dev/mmcblk0p3=/mnt/secure
dev/mmcblk0p4=PB631=Dospartition=mnt/ext1
I don't have a boot partition or can't find it, boot folder is empty.
Problem is solved by disabling services.

2) If external SD is inserted some strange 60MB Partition is shown as memory under settings instead of the external SD, my guess is, it is either dev/mmcblk0p1 or dev/mmcblk0p2, but library has access to the external SD and the SD is mounted correct via USB.
Ye, I've been meaning to deal with the part layout. For now, I'll try to use the symbolic names all the newer firmwares seem to be doing. It's in the v7.8 update now, or you can cherrypick the change - https://github.com/ezdiy/pbjb/blob/m...ins_usb_mod.sh (put it into /mnt/secure/bin)

This change will make mounting the usb fail on older devices altogether (they miss the sym links), so we'll have to special-case their partitions once that comes. But for now it should not be an issue on newer device anymore.

And finally, whenever this mishap comes up, it's enough to just disable usbnet - with usbnet disabled, we leave the original behavior of partition mounting alone, so it should always show correctly over usb.

Last edited by ezdiy; 08-27-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:30 AM   #69
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Thanks for the clarification and solution. I wasn't sure you were aware of the problem, thats why I brought it up.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 08-28-2020 at 05:05 AM.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #70
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
I wanted to upgrade to v.7.10 on my PB631/FW5.20, mainly to go around the 63Mb apparent partition containing a bit of this and a bit of that (probably similar to what reported by nhedgehog above), but ran in the following problems:
  • Uninstalled the existing v6.3, replaced Jailbreak.app and Services.app; tried to run the newer Jailbreak.app, but that would report "Cannot install root" after several seconds
  • Recopied Jailbreak.app of v.6.3, and jailbroke with that; replaced Services.app with the newest, ran that apparently successfully (e.g rooted menu under Settings), but then could neither ssh nor smb in after reboot. (ssh - connection on port 22 refused; smb - no mount point seen)
Reverted to v.6.3 for the time being.
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #71
ezdiy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastEriq View Post
I wanted to upgrade to v.7.10 on my PB631/FW5.20, mainly to go around the 63Mb apparent partition containing a bit of this and a bit of that (probably similar to what reported by nhedgehog above), but ran in the following problems:
  • Uninstalled the existing v6.3, replaced Jailbreak.app and Services.app; tried to run the newer Jailbreak.app, but that would report "Cannot install root" after several seconds
  • Recopied Jailbreak.app of v.6.3, and jailbroke with that; replaced Services.app with the newest, ran that apparently successfully (e.g rooted menu under Settings), but then could neither ssh nor smb in after reboot. (ssh - connection on port 22 refused; smb - no mount point seen)
Reverted to v.6.3 for the time being.
I was afraid something like that would come up. Can you paste result of cat /proc/cpuinfo to verify the culprit (current exploit relies on having dual core CPU, so am curious if PB631 has it).
Old 09-26-2020, 04:40 PM   #72
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Uhm, I thought I read somewhere that PB631 was double-cored, but here is only one...

Code:
/mnt/secure # cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor	: ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS	: 790.52
Features	: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant	: 0x2
CPU part	: 0xc09
CPU revision	: 10

Hardware	: Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite NTX Board
Revision	: 60200
Serial		: 081069d4e6fed102
/mnt/secure #
Old 09-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #73
ezdiy
Zealot

Oh, it's an NTX board (like Kobo)! That brings even more interesting news RE: screen updates. I thought all pocketbooks were Allwinner B288 (which indeed are all dual core).
Old 09-26-2020, 05:29 PM   #74
EastEriq
Groupie

I also remember that I downloaded the binary of I don't recall which other app from a B288/ directory, and that ran...
Old 09-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #75
ezdiy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastEriq View Post
I also remember that I downloaded the binary of I don't recall which other app from a B288/ directory, and that ran...
Yup, the effect of this is mostly seen on kernel level. Userspace apps don't, unless they rely on low level quirks like both koreader and pbjb does.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader-base/issues/1202/

Tags
root