Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #106
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
That's great, desertblues!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:35 PM   #107
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
And back again. Mother-in-law is as good as new; going on 97.........and enjoying her life.
Very happy to hear this, desertblues!
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #108
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
And back again. Mother-in-law is as good as new; going on 97.........and enjoying her life.
Bless her! Happy for the good news!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:44 PM   #109
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Great!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #110
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Wonderful news, desertblues - you must all feel very relieved.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #111
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Good news desertblues. Nice to see you back again.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #112
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Thanks all for the congrats. It is indeed very old, 96 years, but to her great satisfaction she's still among the living. Sound of mind; who cares for the rest which is outworn and old indeed?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #113
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'm off to the States again--though this time for a far less melancholy event.

I'll be visiting some long-lost but new-found relations along with my two daughters.

It will mean that my attendance on the forum for two weeks will be sporadic at best--with luck. I'm well along with Under Western Eyes and the long-haul flight will be a chance for me to finish it off {and perhaps get started on Hyperion. My Kindle, of course will accompany us.}

We leave on the 6th--the very day that the poll for Issybird's month with its great selections ends. I've voted and I suspect I'll get a chance to find out the winner at some point!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #114
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Welcome back! Have fun and how great for your daughters to meet more of their Yank connections.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #115
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Have a good journey, fantasyfan !
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #116
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have a wonderful time, fantasyfan. It's great fun rediscovering long lost cousins, which I have done over the years doing family history research.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:58 AM   #117
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

fantasyfan, I hope you have a great holiday!

I was going to wait until June's selection had been settled to kick off new club year discussions, but with the run-off and fantasyfan’s imminent departure on the 6th, I'll begin now slightly early.

We are at the end of our yearly cycle and will begin a new one in July, so the time for changes is nigh. I don’t foresee many as everything seems to be going rather well in my opinion, but if anyone has any suggestions, now is the time!

The rotating months seem to be a rousing success and I want to say thank you to everyone for helping to make it so. I’ve really enjoyed them and am looking forward to the coming ones. The schedule of every other month works well for them, and I see us continuing with them just as before.

The nomination and poll time lengths and schedule and such are also working well so I don’t foresee any changes to those either.

Mainly, the six non-rotating months’ categories are up for review. Around the 18th of June, I’ll start a week-long poll to choose our non-rotating categories for the next year and it will include club categories current and former. I'm going with a later poll date to hopefully ensure that everyone can easily vote.

After that, we’ll be good for another year!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #118
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

I agree sun surfer - I think the rotating months have worked very well and will give some thought to what might be good categories for the other six months, if we decide we want some changes.

In the meantime, I have been rather concerned about the way in which people who aren't regular members of the Club are suddenly popping in to vote, and then disappearing again. I have made a study of what happened in May as it was particularly noticeable, but there have been other cases (including the June run-off). Please note that I am not making a judgement about the books in question.

1. Nomination.
Caleb nominated ”The Thirty-Nine Steps” by John Buchan, and indicated he was not sure whether it qualified as literature. This was not considered a problem and it was supported in due course by sun surfer, BelleZora and Synamon. That is, three regulars and one part-timer put it on the list. So far, so good.

2. Voting.
It was voted for by BelleZora, Caleb, Angst, ClareK, crich70, Gronk and yekim54. That is, two regulars and five “casuals”. Of these, two (Angst and crich70) seem to be regulars in MR with numerous posts. Again, no judgement is being made here about people who prefer to “lurk” rather than get actively involved. I simply found it rather surprising that they would want to get involved in the Club if they don’t participate in MR more generally.

3. The Run-Off.
In the run-off, the only regular to vote for it was Caleb. Fair enough, it was his nomination. The other voters were ClareK, crich70, Synamon, xstitchfan, yekim54. In other words, non-regulars were five of the six voters, and one of them was a last-minute arrival who hadn't even participated in the earlier voting, i.e. xstitchfan.

4. The Discussion of Under Western Eyes.
Not a single contribution to the discussion came from the non-regular members of the Club. While from time to time regular members are not able to participate in the reading and discussion of the chosen book, this result seems to indicate that people think it reasonable to dip into the Club, vote for a book that takes their fancy, and when it doesn’t win, they have no further involvement. In other words, they are not joining the Literary Book Club so much as dabbling around the edges.

5. Recommendation.
Given this experience, I would like to propose a slight change to the rules of the Literary Book Club to apply from our new year commencing on 1 July 2014.

Of course anyone who wishes to join the Club is very welcome to do so BUT I believe it is reasonable to ask that in the first instance, someone wanting to join us starts by reading and participating in the discussion of a book that has been selected. After that initial involvement, the new member would be welcome to participate fully in nominating, supporting, voting and then discussing.

In other words, joining the Literary Book Club should involve commitment to participate in all aspects of the Club, including reading and discussing the chosen book, whether it was the member’s choice or not.

I have no objection at all to people who may watch from the sidelines, as it were, to get a feel for the Club and the sorts of books it reads: indeed I would hope that people would do this to ensure that they share the literary interests of other Club members. I was certainly interested in the Club for a while before I joined, and I did so when I saw the members had selected Middlemarch to read, a book I had been planning on reading for some time. To join at that point, rather than earlier in the process, seemed to me to be the appropriate and dare I say courteous way of joining this very interesting and enjoyable group.

So the question is whether others think this is a reasonable rule change or not.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #119
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Thank you for a very thought-provoking and cogent post, Bookpossum. I'd like to take some days to gather my thoughts on the subject before responding with an opinion myself. I will say now that I have noticed some occurrences like this as well, here and there, but it hasn't seemed to have affected the club and I need to consider the difficulties in such a change.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #120
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Thanks, sun surfer. I do understand it would quite possibly create extra work for you in particular. I understand that you need to think through the implications, always supposing other members thought we should make a rule along these lines.

My idea was just to put it up for consideration and discussion during the month.