Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
MorningSong
MorningSong began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Keyboard
8" 300DPI, Physical Page Turning buttons, MicroSD slot, all three in one?

After having had the thing for the lion's share of a decade, I've decided it's finally time to turn in my old kindle 3.

I'd like something a little fancier this time around; I'm looking for something with a 7 to 8" 300DPI screen, physical page turning buttons, and a MicroSD slot. I've seen plenty of readers floating about with two out of these three features, but finding all three in one has been slow going.

I'm not too picky on software as long as it's not locked down--I manage my ebooks with calibre and prefer to keep the reader itself offline.

Does such a thing exist? or am I going to have to compromise my dreams?
MorningSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningSong View Post
Does such a thing exist? or am I going to have to compromise my dreams?
The PocketBook InkPad 3 has all three of these features. It also has a Text to Speech feature and plays MP3s.

https://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pr...tbook-inkpad-3

I've never owned one (or any PocketBook eReader), so I can't (personally) vouch for it.

Available in the U.S. from GoodEReader (never bought anything from them, so I can't vouch for them either).

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...tbook-inkpad-3
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
pondscum
Enthusiast
pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Yes, an Inkpad 3 has all the features you're looking for. I replaced my 4th-generation Kindle with one earlier this year and I'm very pleased with my choice. I also side-load all my books from Calibre with a USB cable.

I ordered mine from decitre.fr. It came to about $220 with FedEx shipping to the US, IIRC, and took about 10 days to get here from France.

https://www.decitre.fr/liseuses/lise...152095542.html

You can find more info about firmware updates, etc in the Pocketbook forum.

Last edited by pondscum; 10-08-2019 at 10:02 AM.
pondscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondscum View Post
I ordered mine from decitre.fr. It came to about $220 with FedEx shipping to the US, IIRC, and took about 10 days to get here from France.

https://www.decitre.fr/liseuses/lise...152095542.html
Yeah, but that's a Vivlio, not a PocketBook!

Looks like Grooves.Land also has it available for free shipping (4-11 days) to the U.S. (can't vouch for them, as I've never bought anything from them).

https://www.grooves-inc.com/pocketbo...SABEgLrePD_BwE
Old 10-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Yeah, but that's a Vivlio, not a PocketBook!
does a rose under any other name smell the same?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
pondscum
Enthusiast
pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.

In case the OP or others are confused by these feeble attempts at humor ;-) the French Tea/Vivlio-branded Inkpads have identical hardware (except for the label) to the Pocketbook-branded ones, but they come with a modified version of the firmware that points to the bookstore you buy the e-reader from (Decitre, Cultura, etc) instead of whatever the Pocketbook-branded ones point at. But you can install the generic Pocketbook firmware on these devices instead, which you might want to do to take advantage of more frequent updates, etc.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondscum View Post
In case the OP or others are confused by these feeble attempts at humor ;-) the French Tea/Vivlio-branded Inkpads have identical hardware (except for the label) to the Pocketbook-branded ones, but they come with a modified version of the firmware that points to the bookstore you buy the e-reader from (Decitre, Cultura, etc) instead of whatever the Pocketbook-branded ones point at. But you can install the generic Pocketbook firmware on these devices instead, which you might want to do to take advantage of more frequent updates, etc.
Thanks for that. I really didn't know how PocketBook and Vivlio were associated (although the hardware looked identical) — I just assumed it was a French branch of PocketBook (or something along those lines), but now I see there's more to it. So, I'm guessing, that the Vivlio might be a little cheaper because it's partially subsidized by eBook sellers (kind of like a Kindle or a Kobo).
Old 10-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For those into trivial knowledge, βιβλίο (vivlío) translates from Greek to English as book. Though they did use the modern transliteration, the antique would have transliterated as biblio which is a bit obvious.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:04 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For those into trivial knowledge, βιβλίο (vivlío) translates from Greek to English as book. Though they did use the modern transliteration, the antique would have transliterated as biblio which is a bit obvious.
But where's the Pocket + Vivlio? (I did look Vivilio up on Google translate, though it didn't go back as far as the Greek like you did.)
Old 10-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
pondscum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Thanks for that. I really didn't know how PocketBook and Vivlio were associated (although the hardware looked identical) — I just assumed it was a French branch of PocketBook (or something along those lines), but now I see there's more to it. So, I'm guessing, that the Vivlio might be a little cheaper because it's partially subsidized by eBook sellers (kind of like a Kindle or a Kobo).
That's my guess as well. It's the "razors and blades" marketing model.

Anyway, if you decide the Inkpad 3 is the right device for you, don't hesitate about ordering a Vivlio-branded one if that's cheaper or more convenient than buying a Pocketbook-branded one, since they are all compatible underneath the label.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #11
MorningSong
MorningSong began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Keyboard
That's excellent info. Thank you, everyone!
MorningSong is offline   Reply With Quote