Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 06-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
wishingstar
Enthusiast
wishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2, Lenovo Android 10
Highlights-Dark icon theme for Calibre

I've used the Highlights theme, designed by Nicolas F, for a while now. I tend to use dark themes on my machine, however, and the icons are not very visible with a dark UI.

So I went in and created a version of the Highlights icons for dark themes (mainly replacing dark gray with light gray). After consulting with Kovid and Nicolas, I want to make this variant available for everyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	icon-theme-cover.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	172108

Since these icons are derivatives of the Highlights set, I imagine they fall under the same license terms: Google icons are under the CC BY 4.0 license and Austin Andrews icons are under the SIL Open Font License 1.1

Enjoy!

Edit 02/13/2020: Version 2 of Highlights-Dark is now out! It took a little longer than expected, but now includes all icons in the latest regular Highlights set.
Attached Files
File Type: zip highlights-dark.zip (434.0 KB, 399 views)

Last edited by wishingstar; 02-13-2020 at 02:03 AM. Reason: both news icon versions are now packaged
wishingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want the theme to be downloadable in calibre, run the Create icon theme in Preferences->Miscellaneous and upload the result.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:40 AM   #3
wishingstar
Enthusiast
wishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheese

Done, the attachment is now changed to the one produced by Calibre itself
Old 06-26-2019, 04:56 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, it is now available from inside calibre.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:02 AM   #5
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm a bit too late to answer your question, but glad to see you managed to do it
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
wishingstar
Enthusiast

Thank you both! I hope people enjoy the small QoL upgrade this does for dark theme users
Old 07-24-2019, 05:17 PM   #7
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
This is nice! If Calibre ever works with macOS' dark mode I'll definitely use this.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #8
wishingstar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
This is nice! If Calibre ever works with macOS' dark mode I'll definitely use this.
Glad to see some interest in this. Just FYI, this uses the light gray icon for news, you can still replace it with the blue one from the main Highlights icon theme thread. I'll add a note to the main post.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:57 AM   #9
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
fogice
Zealot
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This theme is lovely, I needed a dark mode compatible theme. Thanks!
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #11
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
I was using this theme, but now I can't select it anymore. I can select any theme but this one. I am getting this error:

Spoiler:

calibre, version 4.5.0
ERRO: Exceção sem tratamento: <b>WindowsError</b>:[Error 5] Acesso negado

calibre 4.5 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.18362')
Python 2.7.16+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: pt_BR
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (1, 25, 0) && DeDRM (6, 6, 1) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (1, 25, 0) && Skoob Sync (0, 2, 8) && Count Pages (1, 9, 0) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 3, 5) && ACE (1, 0, 8) && EpubSplit (2, 8, 0) && ScrambleEbook (0, 4, 1) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (1, 35, 0) && KFX Output (1, 35, 0) && TTS to MP3 (0, 1, 3) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && EpubMerge (2, 6, 0) && Skoob Books (1, 3, 1) && LanguageTool (0, 1, 0) && Goodreads Sync (1, 12, 1) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 1) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 81, 5) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 25, 0) && KFX Input (1, 25, 0) && Open With (1, 5, 10) && Goodreads (1, 4, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\main.py", line 410, in accept
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\main.py", line 371, in commit
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\look_feel.py", line 773, in commit
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\icon_theme.py", line 801, in commit_changes
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\icon_theme.py", line 854, in install_icon_theme
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\icon_theme.py", line 832, in safe_copy
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 506, in atomic_rename
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 496, in rename_file
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access denied

I've cleared the resources/image folder, but didn't work. Also, uninstalled and reinstalled calibre.

What could this be?
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:05 AM   #12
wishingstar
Enthusiast

Version 2 is now out! The zip has been updated! Includes latest icons from the Highlights set as of today.

Enjoy!
Old 04-28-2021, 06:05 AM   #13
pierre7
pierre7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishingstar View Post
Version 2 is now out! The zip has been updated! Includes latest icons from the Highlights set as of today.

Enjoy!
The version 2 isn't available in the calibre theme store ?
pierre7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #14
wishingstar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre7 View Post
The version 2 isn't available in the calibre theme store ?
Not sure, I usually update here and others take the zip and integrate it into the app. It's been over a year since I updated it, so hopefully it's there by now.

On another note, maybe something changed in the icon engine which broke this theme's compatibility with Calibre (@kovidgoyal) ? I don't know anything about Calibre under the hood, so I can't tell for sure. But if that's the case, I can try to create a new zip.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:57 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I just checked, highlights-dark is at version 2 in calibre for me.

Tags
calbire, dark mode, icons, themes